ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Taichi X399 suddenly dead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Taichi X399 suddenly dead?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:52pm
I woke up this morning to an unresponsive PC. No fans, no response from power or reset buttons, nothing. The only board does is cycle the RGB on the RAM and pulse the blue LEDs around the northbridge. I've pulled the power cable and let it sit for a few minutes, but as soon as I plug it in, it does the same thing. Nothing on the diagnostic LED... nothing. It doesn't even try to boot. I normally leave it running 24/7.

Everything has been working fine, with the exception of XMP. I built the system a few weeks ago and it's been running solid. The G.Skill memory is *supposed* to do PC3200, but if I try to set it to the XMP profile in BIOS, it just beeps four times, then boots up and the normal 1066mhz. I haven't had time to set the RAM manually, so I've just left it for now.

The only other problem I had was a C0 on the diagnostic output when I tried to boot with 4 x 8GB sticks. I updated the BIOS and that was resolved.

Here is a video of it doing absolutely nothing. Disregard the fan noise in the background. That is from my servers, and not from the PC:

Flapjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:15pm
I tried pulling out half the RAM, but it still won't even recognize the power button being pressed. As soon as power is plugged in, it starts the slowly pulsing LEDs on its own.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:36pm
u should try different psu, sound like something short out
Flapjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:42pm
Tried a different power supply. It looks like the freaking board is dead. I honestly cannot believe my luck.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:55pm
Ouch.

Sounds like some kind of power event. Try (with a different PSU) removing all power from the board, removing the battery and leaving the clear CMOS jumper bridged for 2 - 3 hours then hook it back up and try again with 1 stick of RAM etc.

If that does nothing, you will need to RMA. I wouldn't trust that PSU either, if you can RMA that too I would. Even if it is working there could be an intermittent fault that killed the system. I have never had a board die on me without either bad caps (not an issues since the switch to solid caps) or another component blowing and taking the system with it, usually PSU.

One more thing you could look at, pull the board from the case and see if there is anything under it that could have caused a short. Try and power it up outside the case. I have actually seen a case where a bug caused a short, it somehow got under the motherboard and shorted out some contacts, it was cooked and smelled like bacon Confused
Flapjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 2:00am
I don't believe it's the PSU, or a power event. I tried a different PSU (see my above post) and I have a very, very solid UPS between the wall and PC. Nothing else in the house had any issue... this is absolutely an issue with the board.

I can try leaving the CMOS jumper shorted for a while. Who knows... I might get lucky.
Flapjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 2:02am
Nevermind the clear CMOS idea... forgot it's a button, lol.
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 5:06am
Is it working now?
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
Flapjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 5:22am
Originally posted by lowdog lowdog wrote:

Is it working now?

No... I wish. It's totally dead.

Even though the reviews on NewEgg are overall good, digging in a bit deeper reveals many with exactly the same issue. ASRock's reply is always the same.

Quote Dear <customer>,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Please trouble shoot the mainboard whether the issue is resolved.
- Unplug the ATX power, remove all components from mainboard.
- Remove the mainboard from chassis, place it on mainboard?™s box.
- Clear the CMOS.
- Reseat the CPU and heatsink fan.
- Test with single memory module on A2 slot.
- Reseat video card firmly and 6+6 PCIE power (if applied).
- Connect the monitor.
- Plug the 24 + 8 or 4 pins ATX power.
- Turn on the power (using onboard power button) to check if its post.

If you have any technical support inquiry, please contact us at http://www.ASRock.com/Support/tsd.asp
We will assist you shortly.

Thank you

ASRock Support
Tech Support Email: http://www.ASRock.com/Support/tsd.asp

I got them on the phone fairly quickly (they didn't respond to my online request yet) and they sound like they'll RMA it. Problem is, they don't cross-ship, so this fiasco is going to cost me weeks.

I'll probably run up to Microcenter in Denver, buy a new board (with an extended warranty, as it seems I'll need it with any of the TR boards out there... which all seem to die in a similar manner), and just sell the replacement when it comes back.
Flapjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:51pm
Someone on HardOCP recommending trying the BIOS flashback procedure. Even though it didn't help, I finally got some different behavior than just LEDs. I'm wondering why ASRock support didn't suggest I at least try that?

Quoting myself from my post on HardOCP:

Quote So... weirdly enough, I unplugged the 8-pin and 4-pin power connectors and left just the 24-pin connector hooked up. Immediately after plugging the AC cord in, the power supply and radiator fans kicked on. I thought maybe this was a safeguard for when you're doing a BIOS flashback, but holding the flashback button did squat. Curious, I unplugged the power and plugged the 8-pin connector back in. As before, no fans when I connected the AC... just LEDs. This time, however, the flashback button started blinking and it read the flash drive. It ran for a few minutes and just like the flashback FAQ said, it stopped when it was done. Still, no post on version 1.30 of the BIOS. I tried everything, including removing the 8-pin connector so the fans would come on. Nothing ever came up on the diagnostic LED, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't even trying to boot (even though the fans were running. I also tried reflashing the 2.00 BIOS, hoping that would help. No luck.

Just for sh*ts, I unplugged the 8-pin power connector and tried the 4-pin one (in addition to the 24-pin, of course). No fans with that either. So if either the 4 or 8-pin connectors are hooked up, the fans don't come on. If I plug in power with just the 24-pin connector hooked up, the LEDs AND fans will come on, but it still doesn't post.

Since it does the same thing even with different power supplies, I wonder if something is shorted on something shared with the 4 and 8-pin connectors? I wonder if a working board would boot without the 4-pin connector.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic