ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM1H-ITX power down issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vesoljc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:38pm
the shutdown issue was the first symptom that i noticed. the root problem is that the motherboard is constantly sending POWER ON command to the psu, which is a motherboard fault. the hdd really has no issues here.

the motherboard should trigger/short pin 16 only when a wake up event happens (either via button switch, either some wake on X event). In my case, pin 16 is constantly shorted, sending power on signal to the psu all the time, which is wrong. the pc works "fine", it just cannot properly power down to "off" state (sleep, hibernate or whatever), since psu is constantly in full awake state. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:40pm
Check the underside of the board for bent over/shorting solder points. I understand what you are saying and no, that should not be happening. If there is no obvious short (that is easy to fix), I suggest you RMA the board if at all possible. 

I have seen similar issues caused by a standoff in the wrong place causing shorts. You have taken the board out of the case but if something under the board shorted it may have created a carbon trace or bent over one of the capacitor/component wires soldered through the PCB. Give it a good going over, I would start with the underside of the board nearest the 24pin connector.

Good luck
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:22pm
As the others before me have said to check for a short on the underside of the motherboard ATX connector, but you can also check for a short on the front panel I/O pins, where the case leds/buttons are connected, you can clean them with some alchool and a soft tissue.
If still the same, the motherboard I/O chip might be busted by a power surge/ESD, but if I remember right you can also take out the CPU and re-seat it. Those AM1 CPU's are a little flaky, they have everything on them including the south-bridge, and just a bit of oxidation on the pins in a more humid climate can cause unforseen problems. Its worth a try, if nothing suggested in this thread works, your last bet unfortunately is RMA/warranty

Edited by cristy6100 - 20 Apr 2018 at 10:24pm
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic