ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASM1061 drivers for Z170 Extreme 6+?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paralipsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASM1061 drivers for Z170 Extreme 6+?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 7:26pm
I have the problem that the two drives I have connected via the SATA_A0 and SATA_A1 ports, managed by the ASM1061 controller are being reported by Windows 10 x64 as hot swappable. I'm having absolutely no luck finding a method in Windows of forcing the drives to appear as internal drives, so I was hoping that perhaps there are drivers somewhere I can install that will do the trick.
paralipsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paralipsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 1:42pm
Another potential solution I have considered is possibly altering the registry entry for the generic storahci driver. One of its entries seems promising:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device\IgnoreHotPlug

But the data field for this value is:

VEN_1002&DEV_4380&REV_*

I have no idea what this means, and therefore have no idea how I would change it in order to have the desired effect, namely completely disabling hot plugging for the drives on the two ASM1061 managed SATA ports.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 2:00pm
That is simply a hardware identifier string, I doubt changing it will make any difference. Most likely you will need to add an entry called "enabled" or some such and have the value set to 1 though I wouldn't know what exactly it would need to be called.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paralipsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 2:10pm
Ah, thanks. I might continue my research a bit before I start making any educated guesses as to what might work. I'm always a little hesitant to make changes in the registry I'm not certain about, even with a backup to restore to. But at least I now know not to alter that specific value.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 7:24pm
Dear customer,
Greetings, this is ASRock Technical Supports Department.
Thank you for the query.

Due to the ASMedia controller design, the SATA device will be recognize as removable device if the drivers of ASMedia SATA controller is installed.
However, the Windows 10 contains the driver as "integrated" inbox driver and it cannot be uninstalled.

Therefore, since this is a normal behavior for the system, please feel free to use it.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience.

If any, please feel free to contact us!

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by paralipsis paralipsis wrote:

I have the problem that the two drives I have connected via the SATA_A0 and SATA_A1 ports, managed by the ASM1061 controller are being reported by Windows 10 x64 as hot swappable. I'm having absolutely no luck finding a method in Windows of forcing the drives to appear as internal drives, so I was hoping that perhaps there are drivers somewhere I can install that will do the trick.

If you open Device Manager, and then open Disk Drives, check the Policies tab of the Properties for each of those drives.

Usually you can select either Quick Removal, which is enabled by default in this case, or I believe the other option is High Performance. Selecting High Performance should change the drives from hot swap.

Let us know if this works for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paralipsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If you open Device Manager, and then open Disk Drives, check the Policies tab of the Properties for each of those drives.

Usually you can select either Quick Removal, which is enabled by default in this case, or I believe the other option is High Performance. Selecting High Performance should change the drives from hot swap.

Let us know if this works for you.
I just installed a PCIe drive into the M.2 slot, which has necessitated the use of the ASM1061 again for other drives as I lose two SATA3 ports from the Z170 controller to the shared address with the M.2 slot. And once again I am presented with this problem. Unfortunately the default policy for drives connected to this controller are already on "better performance", not "quick removal". They are still being reported as hot swappable, and leave me with these awful buttons in the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" option in the taskbar that can disconnect my drives with no option to reconnect them without opening my case up.

If anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful. This is really irritating me right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic