ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock J5005-ITX fails/missing Legacy Boot mode
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock J5005-ITX fails/missing Legacy Boot mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock J5005-ITX fails/missing Legacy Boot mode
    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:20am

I've just bought the ASRock J5005-ITX mainboard and I am unable to switch to the Legacy Boot mode. There is no switch in the bios and no other method I've seen so far. 

What is the method to do so?

P.S.:

This mainboard was bought to be used with dedicated system and since this system is based on Debian 8 (which doesn't support UEFI) this mainboard is useless. If there is really no way to switch to Legacy boot mode, it is extremely poor implementation and it should change as soon as possible with this option allowed.

Edited by jayzee - 22 May 2018 at 4:18am
whatever879787 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatever879787 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:58am
I just got a J5005-ITX as well.
I haven't seen anything for Legacy boot either. Was gonna try that out for my issues as well.

I bought mine for Unraid, but I can't get it to boot Unraid, FreeNAS, or Windows 7.
I got it to boot Linux Mint and Memtest86, but that's it. 

I've emailed Asrock for help so now it's just the waiting game.

Does your BIOS have a bunch of white pixels everywhere by any chance? I have a X99 Asrock board and I don't recall it looking so strange
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:48am
The BIOS should support Legacy boot but you will not find an exact setting for it as it is auto-detected on most all newer BIOS (is on my z370). You do need to turn off Secure Boot under Advanced > Boot options or the bios will skip any Legacy bootable device and only boot from UEFI devices. That is required for Windows 7 and most Linux versions.
A problem you both may have is that there are no drivers for that cpu/chipset from Intel or Asrock, except for Windows 10 drivers. Hope your Linux versions have included them.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
Doesi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 4:46pm
Same problem here.
I wanted to use this board running OpenWrt and replace the old N3700-ITX, which DID have the legacy-boot-option.
jayzee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:12am
Originally posted by whatever879787 whatever879787 wrote:

I just got a J5005-ITX as well...

Thx for reply. It's definitely sucks having this board for legacy boot. I had to move it to kitchen computer with W10. At least it takes around 20 watts, so good performance/power ratio.

And for your question - no, there are no white pixels in bios or elsewhere with mine, but I use HDMI on max 1280x1024 and didn't try more.

Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

The BIOS should support Legacy boot...

Tried to disable all UEFI features - Secure boot, Advanced booting, forcing to boot legacy.. none works. And since we are not the only one, I would say thats big f*ckup on the AsRock side.
Not sure what you meant by "drivers for cpu/chipset" - it doesn't even try to boot eg. says there's no bootable system even that it sees the drive.

Originally posted by Doesi Doesi wrote:

Same problem here...

Thx Doesi. I am glad to see that there are much more people having the same problem just after AsRock released this board.

Unfortunately, as no all high mighty AsRock representative visits their own forum to help users, we can just bark here. But it's not just AsRock's problem since all of these companies don't care about their users. Even forums like Intel or Microsoft works all the same.

So, its unfortunate true, that there is no way how to boot legacy with this board and since there is no info or Bios update from AsRock, it's pretty clear that they gives us middle finger.

For all to hear: 
BEWARE of buying J5005-ITX board since you can have no way to boot if you are trying to go LEGACY.

RIP

Edited by jayzee - 01 Jun 2018 at 9:19am
Domspun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domspun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:23pm
For those who can get in the BIOS, what RAM modules do you have? I can't even boot to BIOS.Cry
audiospecific View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiospecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:33am
Well I came across this board in the field, and I'm not impressed with the lack of legacy mode for the controller. So I'm going to try a hardware controller that has its own bios so that I can attempt to boot bypassing the efi firmware (like I've done successfully on the old mac pro towers that were locked out of upgrading to a 64 bit kernel because of its 32bit efi)
denywinarto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denywinarto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 4:34pm
Anyone successfully got legacy mode to work?
There's a new bios update, but it doesn't seem to list anything related to legacy..
Cant pxe boot because of this..
rammstein99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rammstein99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:47am
Oi!

Disable the Fast Boot option (on the Boot Tab)
ramponis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramponis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 7:34pm
I have the same problem
I have already disabled the Fast Boot option, but its didn't work.
We need a bios update from asrock!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic