ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi crashing on stock settings and C6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricesteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi crashing on stock settings and C6
    Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:08pm
Just picked up a 2700x and had the same issue with 1700. I'm using the latest 4.60 bios. For ram, I'm using G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZ.

The problem I faced was with stock and auto bios settings, for both CPUs, was windows would crash within 2-5 minutes after loading. I would get a black screen, with fans going 100%, that I cannot normally reset or power off. I had to turn off my power supply.

The fix I used was to manually set a fixed cpu voltage. Since I manually OC'd my 1700 anyways, stability returned and I just left it at that. Note: using offset instead of fixed would reproduce the problem.

Now that I've switched to the 2700x, I want to use stock settings because XBR2 is better than manually overclocking, but the problem has returned. I don't want to manually set the voltages because it limits the boosts and it'll always run hot.  

It took me hours of trial and error, but when I disabled the global C-State, everything is working with stock/auto settings! 

Can someone explain to me what Global C-State is? Why do I have to disable it for stock settings? Also, what is C6 state? Where can I find that setting in the bios?

Anyone else run into the same problem I had?

Edit: I'm using a Sapphire 580 8G SE video card

Edited by ricesteam - 25 Apr 2018 at 1:31am
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:21am
Hi,

I'm interested in this too. I have the same board as you and a 1700X, and I have experienced a few crashes since I built this computer last December. I have also read other posts regarding C6, and I haven't had any crash since I disabled it. However... I am not entirely sure that my issue is related to this, because unlike you and other posters, the crashes have been fairly rare for me. In total, it happened twice on Windows 10 and once on Fedora 27. The three of them occurred at idle or low load.

The computer has been stable otherwise, except that I have had a number of LiveKernelEvent code 141 errors in the Windows logs. I believe this is a different issue, but again I don't know. It's very strange, because there was a time when such errors happened once or twice a day for several days, and now it hasn't happened for ten days, but I haven't changed anything to my system! When this code 141 error happened, my screen usually flashed white, but otherwise Windows continued to work (and I have never noticed such flashes on Fedora). My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070. I would have preferred an AMD card, but couldn't get one due to the shortage and absurd prices because of crypto-currency mining.

I left every settings in the BIOS on Auto and haven't overclocked. I would like to set my RAM to a higher frequency, though, but I haven't looked into it. I have these sticks : G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW, which are running at their default 2133 MHz and 15 timings currently

I unfortunately can't really help you because I don't have experience in overclocking, but from what I've read, the C6 state is the lowest power state of the CPU. However, it's probably more complicated than that, and it seems to make a difference for overclocking and turbo : http://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1328938-what-core-c6-state-exactly.html. And it seems that I don't have the global C-State option because I'm still on BIOS 3.20.

Please could you tell me which settings you used with your Ryzen 1700 to fix the crashes without having to disable C6?

Edited by Onox - 25 Apr 2018 at 12:24am
ricesteam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricesteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:01am
I'm wondering if C6 and Global C-State are the same things. What ever documentation I can find is very bad. 

I'm worried it could be a hardware fault since another person with similar spec don't have any problems with C-state enabled. My next suspect would be my RAM.

Off the top of my head, I manually set the clock speed of my 1700 to 3800, fixed voltage of 1.3v, fixed Soc of 1.1v. I had both LLC at Level 3. Keep in mind every chipset is different so the exact config may not work for you. The general idea is that I'm manually setting values and I assume when I manually OC all those nice little features, like C-States, are disabled.

Edited by ricesteam - 25 Apr 2018 at 2:02am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:03am
@ onox

you do have global c state in your bios (its just in a different place to the other c states and cool n quiet).....for reference i have always left this on since bios 1.6 and overclocked ,so dont worry

as for your ram, theres a good chance those sticks will work on taichi and bios 3.2 with simply clicking xmp 3200 (to be fair such a nice pair of ram sticks are being very wasted at 2133)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:05am
Originally posted by ricesteam ricesteam wrote:

I'm wondering if C6 and Global C-State are the same things. What ever documentation I can find is very bad. 

I'm worried it could be a hardware fault since another person with similar spec don't have any problems with C-state enabled. My next suspect would be my RAM.

Off the top of my head, I manually set the clock speed of my 1700 to 3800, fixed voltage of 1.3v, fixed Soc of 1.1v. I had both LLC at Level 3. Keep in mind every chipset is different so the exact config may not work for you. The general idea is that I'm manually setting values and I assume when I manually OC all those nice little features, like C-States, are disabled.

just a quickie as my dinner is served

but 1700 at 3800 with 1.3v is on the low side for that , that may be an issue

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
ricesteam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricesteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:15am
Depends on your "Silicon Lottery". Besides, that's not the problem I'm facing. Just an aside of information. The main problem I faced was with stock (auto) settings that would crash my system unless I turn off C-States.

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

Originally posted by ricesteam ricesteam wrote:

just a quickie as my dinner is served

but 1700 at 3800 with 1.3v is on the low side for that , that may be an issue

Edited by ricesteam - 25 Apr 2018 at 2:16am
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 3:07am
ah, I forgot to mention that I tested my RAM with Memtest for about 1.5 hour, and no errors were found. It might not be enough to conclude anything, but that's reassuring nonetheless. Also, when I experienced my crashes, they weren't the same as you ricestream : instead of getting a black screen, the first time, Windows froze completely (the HDD LED was still blinking from time to time, but I had to press the reset button), the second time (Windows), it made a blue screen and rebooted, and the third time (Fedora), it was a random reboot as well, with an "hardware error" message in the logs.

I thought about something : could it be possible that due to the "silicon lottery" you mentioned, the default/auto settings of the X370 Taichi are not enough for some CPUs that need a bit more voltage to function properly on idle (not sure whether this would be considered a hardware defect...)?

@datonyb : I have been afraid to change the RAM settings because I'm not sure if I need to change other voltages at the same time, such as that of the SoC. And I use this machine for my work too, so I'd rather have it slower than unstable :) Because I've heard that 2933 MHz doesn't bring much over 2666 MHz, wouldn't it be safer to try that? The problem if I want to try such a frequency is that then, I have to set the voltage myself, don't I (because IIRC, there isn't an XMP profile that I can choose for lower speeds)?

I would be interested in swapping parts to see if it changed something, but for me it is a difficult thing to do, as building PCs makes me very nervous, and I have a physical disability which makes it even more difficult (couldn't build the computer without help, and the people who helped me don't have much time anyhow). I could probably test another GPU on the Taichi, but not the GeForce 1070 in another PC, because I don't have another machine where it would fit. I also don't have another PSU available. My current PSU is a Corsair RM650x. As to the storage, I have a simple Sata mechanical HDD, which limits the problems on that side I guess (since I've seen people whose crashes were actually caused by SSDs)

Edited by Onox - 25 Apr 2018 at 3:19am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 3:14am
@ onox

setting xmp will set 1.35v on your ram and with bios 3.2 you shouldnt need to mess with soc voltage

its not that scarey it will either work or it will give you the beep beep beep of shame and revert back to stock safe bios

if it works and boots then just test it for windows stability and see if its all good

ssd problems ?  i dont know i have none and havnt used a spinning drive for a long time

samsung once again are the name to look for either a nice nvme or the normal 2.5 inch drives

now they really make a difference to a spinning disc

and for the love of god

CAN NO-ONE ACTUALLY WRITE MY USERNAME CORRECTLY Censored

Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 3:20am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

CAN NO-ONE ACTUALLY WRITE MY USERNAME CORRECTLY Censored

Sorry about that, I generally pay attention to this kind of thing. Edited my message Smile
ricesteam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricesteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:11am
I like to add that Wake up on Sleep no longer works. When I wake up the computer, it will turn on, then nothing happens for a minute, and it shuts down. 

I wonder if this is because I have C-States disabled. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic