ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi GPU slots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericlp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x399 Taichi GPU slots
    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 5:07am
bought an air cooler (Noctua NH-U14S) kinda big and the GPU is like right on it.... 

I thought about moving the GPU to one of the bottom slots, but the manual states:

slot1 x16 Single card
slot2 x8
slot3 x1
slot4 x16
slot5 x8

Could I move a single 1080ti down to slot4 or 5? Would it still boot? 

Another question.. If I bought another 1080ti, could I put it any slot or does it really matter? Again, according to the manual, 2GPU's are suppose to be in slot 4 and slot 1. Could I use slot 2 and slot 5? I should point out I would not SLI the two. They would run independently. So, I'm pretty sure 8X vs 16X is a mute point, for me and my applications.

Could using different slots cause any problems?

Thanks for any and all help...
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 5:14am
You can try the slot 4 and see if it boots and if performance is the same. There is no harm in trying this.

Regarding SLI --- It theoretically does matter which slots. (Especially for X370 chipsets. For X399 we have plenty of PCIe lines ;-) ). For two standalone cards it should not.
Just try - should work :)

P.S. I thought NH-U14S is NOT compatible with TR4 ? You must be talking about NH-U14S TR4-SP3 right?

Edited by SoniC - 03 Jun 2018 at 5:16am
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
yamiedie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yamiedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:21am
Have you tried adjusting the heatsink of the cooler? It should allow a 3-6mm adjustment towards the top. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:50am
Performance wise you shouldn't see much, if any, performance loss in an X8 PCIe gen 3 slot. 

SLI requires 2 slots with at least x8 and x8 connectivity so in theory, you should be able to do so using slots 2 and 5, 1 and 4 or 2 and 4. You should even be able to do so with other combinations provided both slots used have at least 8 PCIe lanes but you would need single slot cards for most other variations.

Now I say in theory because there are other factors that could prevent SLI in different combinations than the ones recommended but I suspect it should work fine.

For single card use, any slot should work so long as it doesn't share lanes with other devices/controllers. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic