ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock OC vs AMD CBS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sco77001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock OC vs AMD CBS?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:32pm
What is difference between these 2 modes and which would better be suited for least power/heat on 2400g SFF build? I want it to still be able to run memory at full speed ( currently have flare x stable at 3200).

Thanks
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 2:48am
not the be all end all info but what i have found with my setup is.

Pstates overclocking are broken in the new bios's it seems. thats what you need,might work on your setup

Use ASRock OC and set your ram to xmp. do Not change the cpu settings in bios it will kill ram performance. 

i don't use AMD CBS because it also kills ram performance, some ram settings are bugged and are set to 1/2 the value you input or just ignored altogether. with the new bios's some settings are out right missing. 

Bankgroup swap ALT control is gone :( and Enabled at defaults. not helping ram latency and take a hit on game performance 

as for saving power and less heat. does your motherboard support cpu voltage offset? maybe you can  - offset the core voltage and keep the ram performance.  i don't use offset so im not sure if it will cause the Ram performance bug also but i found LLC does not cause it. not sure if you can undervolt with software,A-Tuning/F-Stream might have offsets

i just use Ryzen master to do cpu overclocking and voltage controls now with the new bios's and the new bugs that come with it. 

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
robmcc83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:22am
I too would like to know the difference between these settings.
Reason why is because I can't get any linux distro to boot on asrock of, but when I select amd cbs they will boot fine.
Why is this what settings are different between the 2 modes?
Thanks
Exel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 11:43pm
I, too, would very much like to have an answer to this question. I recently changed from an Asus motherboard to ASRock X470 Taichi and the UEFI settings are super confusing.

Several CPU and DRAM settings can be found in two if not three different places at the same time. Do I need to make sure they all have the same values or are they synced? If not and the values are different, which ones do the mobo actually use?
flowerdealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerdealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 11:44am
My latest BIOS (before Ryzen 2 supported ones) on the x470 itx actually lost the Asrock setting altogether. PState overclocking actually works on this on though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic