ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Since UEFI update, unable to boot Linux-based apps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Since UEFI update, unable to boot Linux-based apps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark7sys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Since UEFI update, unable to boot Linux-based apps
    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:18am
    On May 1 I updated my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 motherboard to UEFI 2.80 from 2.70 because I was concerned about the Spectre vulnerability of my CPU.  How I dearly wish now I had not done that!
    The Intel microcode was updated to 306C3/24 from 306C3/19.
    Following this UEFI update, I find that I am unable to successfully boot Linux-based products (such as distro installers or GParted, as examples) via USB or DVD; these products freeze while in text mode before they reach their respective graphic desktops.  [Microsoft installers and rescue disks, on the other hand, boot just fine.]
    So, unless I can find a solution, I am completely locked out of the Linux world (not a good thing; my wife runs Linux and I have to be able to support her).
    Is it possible to roll back UEFI to an earlier version, or is that forbidden?
    Has anyone here ever heard of being unable to boot Linux-based products via USB or DVD?

--------------------------------------------------
[ SYSTEM OVERVIEW ]
OS -- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1803 (Redstone 4 / April 2018 Update) build 17134.81 {aka Windows Version 10.0.17134.81}
OS Host -- 3.64 TiB Toshiba N300 P/N HDWQ140XZSTA HDD
MOBO -- ASRock Z97 Extreme6
    UEFI vs. 2.80 w. Haswell microcode 306C3_24 (latest as of 2018-06-12)
CPU -- Pentium G3258 {Anniversary Edition} (Haswell Refresh, CPUID 306C3)
GPU -- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, DirectX 12
    Driver 24.21.13.9793 (latest as of 2018-05-22)
RAM -- 24 GB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-1866
POWER SUPPLY -- Antec 'TruePower New' TP-650 (~4 years old), 110V
    ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
PRIMARY DISPLAY -- 1920 x 1200 @ 59 Hz
ANTIVIRUS -- Avast 18.4.2338 (build 18.4.3895.327) of 2018-05-10

badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:12am
You should be able to flash back to your previous BIOS v2.70 however it may not replace everything included in the 2.80 version (an updated Intel ME, etc). I suggest you download a Ubuntu Live and burn to DVD or USB and try to boot it as "Try before you Install". ( https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1 ). get it here: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop?
Let me know how it goes.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
mark7sys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark7sys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 2:34am
@ badbri
   Thanks for your concern.  I?™ve already tried to boot a dozen Linux distros and utilities but, nonetheless, I tried another one.  No change.

I found that I had UEFI 2.70 with the old Intel microcode (vs. 19) on my backup ?œBIOS B?? I switched to that and tried to boot an old vs. of GParted which used to work.  No change; still freezes in text mode.  In trying to boot some distros I discovered that some Linux versions now require Intel microcode 22+.  So the UEFI update does not seem to have had anything to do with the issue.

In case there might be a problem with generic NVIDIA drivers, I installed the latest driver for the Intel iGPU and removed my NVIDIA GTX 1060.  That, too, made no difference whatsoever.

I am desperate to figure this out because I can not afford to build another computer only to find myself just where I am right now.  I have never heard of anything like this and, AFAIK, no one else has, either.
mark7sys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark7sys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:02am
I have discovered -- of all the inscrutable things -- that when my Blu-ray / DVD drive is plugged into the ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller, I am unable to boot Linux-based distros or utilities from either USB or DVD.  But when the optical drive is connected to the Intel SATA controller, I can boot Linux-based distros and utilities from either USB or DVD.

This took me 7 weeks to figure out considering that Windows 10 installers and rescue disks boot normally on both USB & DVD when the optical drive is connected to the ASMedia controller.

Several months ago I thought I had a hard drive failing because no utility would report its S.M.A.R.T. status or run drive self checks.  At length I learned that if I switched the HDD from the ASM1061 controller to the Intel controller S.M.A.R.T. status was reported and drive self checks could be run.

Clearly, there is something drastically wrong with the ASM1061 or its driversIs it possible that ASRock has never heard of these issues?  Do the same problems plague newer motherboards?

Edited by mark7sys - 15 Jun 2018 at 2:03am
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:41am
Wow Great you figured it out. Explains why UBU booted w/o issue on the boards I tested it on, all have the DVD or BD drive on Intel SATA.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
arj5040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arj5040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 8:49pm
Hello,
After wasting more than 1 day trying to install Ubuntu on a J5040-ITX board I have finally found this discussion: I had my DVD reader on a secondary SATA slot - moving it to one of the Intel connectors fixed the issue.
Big thank-you for the tip!
jhoncarles71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoncarles71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 1:01am
I understand your frustration. Rolling back UEFI versions can be tricky and may not be officially supported. You could try checking ASRock's support forums or contacting their customer support for guidance. Exploring BIOS settings related to Secure Boot and Legacy/UEFI boot options https://www.resimacamericas.com/ might also help. It's essential to proceed with caution, and I hope you find a solution to boot Linux successfully again.
eqfrwe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic