ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - x470 Taichi Ultimate 2nd m.2 (M2_2) SATA support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x470 Taichi Ultimate 2nd m.2 (M2_2) SATA support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stellar88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x470 Taichi Ultimate 2nd m.2 (M2_2) SATA support
    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
Hi, I have the following 2 m.2 ssd:

1. WD Green m.2 2280 (Current boot drive)
https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-green-ssd.html#WDS120G2G0B

2. HP EX920 nvme
https://www.amazon.com/HP-EX920-Internal-2YY47AA-ABC/dp/B0795Z97K7

The problem is that when I place HP EX920 on first m.2 (M2_1) slot on x470 taichi ultimate mobo, and WD Green m.2 in the 2nd m.2 (M2_2) slot, the BIOS can only recognize the HP EX920 and can't boot into OS (No operating system found). 

Yet, if I switch the SSD onto each other slot, the BIOS is able to recognize both m.2 SSDs and I can boot into OS just fine.

From what I understand that the 2nd m.2 slot on x470 Taichi Ultimate should be able to support SATA 6.0Gbps unlike its predecessor (x370 Taichi), yet I couldn't get it to be recognized in the BIOS (1.36A Beta). 

What gives? Any assistance could be greatly appreciated. I would hate to run the HP EX920 on 2nd m.2 slot with only PCIe Gen 2.0 x 4 speed & without the m.2 heatsink cover.

Thanks.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:28pm
unless theres new bios with updated m.2 compatibility, theres not much u can do
btw in ur manuals your wd drive is not listed, so ur quite lucky to get it working in atleast one slot
Stellar88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stellar88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:03pm
Huh, now that you mentioned, only the 240Gb variant of WD Green is in the supported list.

Regardless, it's weird to imagine it being able to work in 1 m.2 slot but not the other? I hope this is not x370 all over again (with no SATA support in the 2nd m.2 slot).

I don't have any spare m.2 Sata lying around to validate this though.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:34pm
hmm RTFM the bottom one doesn't support SATA (WD) 
Stellar88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stellar88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:21pm
The part where it says SATA is supported:

The part that doesn't say so: 

me for actually did read the booklet manual right? It clearly mentions the support of SATA in M2_2 yet the online site now does a u-turn on it in the specs page mentioning that no SATA support for M2_2, BUT the main X470 Taichi Ultimate still highlights it as a feature. 

So much for actually trying to read the manual before consulting the forum for help. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined. /end
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:32pm
the online manual says other wise which is the same as the specs on your last picture 

i'll help you check on my physical copy of the manual after 4 hours :D but i may have a newer version of the board since mine came in with 1.2 bios 
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:48pm
current manuals doesnt have this part, so its not supported if they removed support
Stellar88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stellar88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

the online manual says other wise which is the same as the specs on your last picture 

i'll help you check on my physical copy of the manual after 4 hours :D but i may have a newer version of the board since mine came in with 1.2 bios 

Thanks for making the effort. I think mine should be same as yours, since mine come with 1.2 BIOS too before i flash it to the BETA 1.36. At this point I am accepting the fact that the physical manual that I received is not QA-ed properly hence the misinformation. Case closed I guess.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:08pm
yeah think of it this way its like throwing the driver CD because the online ones are some what updated

just use the WD at the top one its like you're not gonna lose or gain performance  other than the fancy heatsink :D 
Stellar88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stellar88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:17pm
Nah I would prefer to have the NVME drive on top with the heatsink & Gen 3 pci-e speed. the WD Green drive is only 120Gb anyway, I have already plan to replace it with this new NVME drive, it's just that I can't get it to recognize it at the bottom slot thwarted the convenience of me transferring files in between them as I intended to do a clean OS installation to begin with. But with this situation I decided to clone the WD Green into the NVME and call it a day.

Guess it's prime time to sell off the WD Green then haha!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic