ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x370 + vega 64 = error code 62

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eco86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi x370 + vega 64 = error code 62
    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:42pm

I received my Powercolor Vega 64 Red Devil this week and yesterday i was building it into my system which was running fine with my old gtx970 card. However it seems that my vega 64 is DOA or the motherboard cant handle it. When i place it in my system and press the power button then all fans start to blow and the boot procedure starts. But shortly after it will hang with the motherboard showing an error code.

The code is 62.  Ok so after trying multiple times with reinstalling cables and the card i took an old graphics card from years ago and put it in instead of the Vega. From that moment everything instantly worked and i saw the window login screen.

I have tried stuff like clearing the bios but nothing seems to help. I lastly updated the bios to the latest 4.70. That also didn't work.

Code explanation from asrock:

62: Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS.

My system specs are:

motherboard: Asrock Taichi x370 with latest bios update cpu: Amd Ryzen 1700 memory: 2x8GB 3600mhz ram powersupply: corsair rm850x case: Nanoxia deep silence 5 rev. B

Anyone got ideas or this same setup? Is the vega just not compatible? I am thinking about sending it RMA because it seems to be broken/DOA but i highly suspect the motherboard to have issues.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 1:32am
things to try

1, different power leads from the psu to the vega (some power supplies are split and if you try to use one side it hasnt got enough current)  e.g. try to place a connector to each side of psu (dont use same cable with split ends)

2 , try a different pcie slot for testing purpose

3, set stock bios defasults eg 2133 mhz ram etc

4, try a different output from gpu eg display or hdmi

off topic ...ish.......... why on earth are you on latest bios ? with a 1700 bios v3.10 or 3,20 is fine and stable
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
eco86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eco86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:24am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

things to try

1, different power leads from the psu to the vega (some power supplies are split and if you try to use one side it hasnt got enough current)  e.g. try to place a connector to each side of psu (dont use same cable with split ends)

2 , try a different pcie slot for testing purpose

3, set stock bios defasults eg 2133 mhz ram etc

4, try a different output from gpu eg display or hdmi

off topic ...ish.......... why on earth are you on latest bios ? with a 1700 bios v3.10 or 3,20 is fine and stable

about the why i am on the latest bios, i was on 2.X when this problem started, then i tried 3.X and 4.X all of them giving the same problem.

1. Im using a brand new 850 watt corsair with 2 separate cables. I will try positioning them on a different connector though. I could eventually try my 10 year old 750 watt corsair
2. I tried a different PCIE slot, didnt help
3. The bios is completely stock, i recently flashed it and cleared cmos again some time later with battery removal.
4. gonna try it
eco86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eco86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:47am
ok i tried every suggestion, different cables types (hdmi instead of DP) to the monitor, different power connector locations on the psu. Im starting to think this GPU is just broken. ideally i would  like to test it in another pc.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 4:05am
try changing the bios switch on the vega

it should have a flick sw on the top edge

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
eco86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eco86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

try changing the bios switch on the vega

it should have a flick sw on the top edge

Thanks but i actually tried that already. It defaulted to the OC bios and i set it to the middle "balanced" one. Also didnt work
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 7:44pm
It may be worth trying the other PCIe slots and seeing if that gets you into OS and stable.

Top PCIe x16 runs at x16
Middle runs at x8
Bottom runs at x4

The x8 won't bottleneck your GPU at all and the x4 will barely make a difference. Because they all run at different buss lengths you may see different results depending on the slot. 

Where does the system hang? After POST?

If it's after post then with your old GPU installed boot into safe mode and use DDU (display driver uninstaller) and completely clear out old GPU drivers. It may be a driver register causing the hang.

Given you are getting a POST code however I get the feeling you are hanging during the POST process. In that case try the different slots and switching up the power cables you connect to the card.

In addition, check your PSU. Is it a single or multi rail PSU and how old is it. It may simply not have enough juice or stable enough power for the new GPU.

Edited by Xaltar - 14 Jun 2018 at 7:45pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:01am
xaltar has a good point

ive got a cx750m sat here on the shelf

removed from a customers system after long hard headscratching...............
reason works perfectly fine with a gtx750ti (using addintional 6 pin pcie)
passed thermaltake psu tester with flying colours
but will crash 5 seconds into heaven benchmark trying to run a measly gtx960 !
just that little bit extra juice even on this large psu caused a shut down when loaded

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic