ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H370M-ITX/ac died after about 1.5 hours

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRN18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H370M-ITX/ac died after about 1.5 hours
    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:51am
I just built a new server based on the H370M-ITX/ac motherboard, using an Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz CPU, SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB SSD, and two sticks of Crucial 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 for memory. Everything seemed to go well. I was able to install Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS onto the SSD and after everything appeared to be working well, I started downloading the primary program that this machine will be running. After about 15 minutes of transferring about 50 GB of data from a local fileserver to this new machine, this new machine shut down. I can not get it restarted. I ran out of time to troubleshoot this on Monday night (the day I started this) so left it unplugged until today.

I initially thought it was a power supply issue, for a variety of reasons, so I pulled out an ATX PSU tester and it showed that the power supply was putting out all the right voltages on all rails. I then noticed that when "turned on", the power LED on my case was lit. I also noticed that on the LAN port that has an ethernet cable plugged in has a solidly lit orange activity/link LED but no speed LED lit. I do not see any LEDs on the motherboard like I've seen on other motherboards. I then noticed something that I found a bit odd... the CPU heatsink got pretty hot after a few minutes, which I find odd since it never booted up; none of the system fans ever turned on, including the CPU fan. I verified that the CPU fan does work by plugging the power to the CPU fan into another fan controller I had laying around. I had disconnected a keyboard and monitor on Monday evening, after installing the operating system and my plan was to just SSH into the machine, as this is intended to be a headless server. I just reconnected a monitor and keyboard and I get no lights on the keyboard light up. There is no video output to the monitor. I was hoping to see if I could at least get to the BIOS. I was hoping that if by chance, I had somehow burned out the CPU, the BIOS would at least tell me that. I was also hoping it would tell me if there was a problem with the RAM. Other than that, I can't think of what else to check. I have unplugged and replugged in everything. I have a power meter attached to the power supply, showing that when it is "turned on", it is drawing ~1.6 amps or 19.6 Watts. At this point, everything points to the motherboard failing somehow.
RonRN18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRN18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:17am
Unfortunately, when this was ordered from NewEgg, I had not saved all my packing material but I figured I may build another similar computer, so I ordered another motherboard. I carefully replaced the original motherboard with the replacement and put the original, back in a box so I can return in on an RMA. I can verify that the old motherboard was PART of my problem but not the sole problem. I can easily say this because it now shows the ASRock logo on the monitor and the instructions to press F2 or Del to enter UEFI Menu and a few other options in the lower right corner of the screen. I attached a speaker to the motherboard and there are no beep codes. All the case fans, including the CPU cooler turn on and slow down after a couple seconds, but still spin. While the keyboard lights up, nothing happens if I were to hit F2 or the Del button. Thinking I could have burned out the CPU too, I went to my local Fry's Electronics and bought a slightly inferior i3-8100, knowing it too should work. After changing it out, it makes absolutely no difference. As an interesting side-note, as I had previously mentioned the power drawn was ~1.6 amps or 19.6 Watts, it now draws ~1.9 amps or 24.1 Watts... this is with the fans spinning and the HDMI putting out the above-stated info. I have also tried switching around the RAM... each stick solely in each of the two slots individually, but still nothing else. Any ideas for what may be wrong?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic