ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASROCK AB350 Pro4 Freeze Fix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eddie55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASROCK AB350 Pro4 Freeze Fix
    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:15am
Long story short
When the computer is idle in the desktop a power saving feature kicks in which causes the computer to hard freeze

The computer never locks up when gaming or doing other intensive task

Changing these options in the BIOS have given me a solid 4 days of uptime with the majority of that time being idle on the desktop

FIX THAT WORKS FOR ME

Advanced --> CPU configuration --> Cool'n Quiet --> Disabled

Advanced --> AMD CBS --> Zen Common Options --> Power Supply Idle Control --> Typical Current Idle

Advanced --> AMD CBS --> Zen Common Options --> Global C-state control --> Disabled

Here is a thread that talks about it

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/61767-amd-ryzen-update/

and

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

Here are some ASROCk AB350M Pro4 threads

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7651&PN=25&title=asrock-ab350m-pro4-freezing

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/78pc3x/new_pc_amd_ryzen_5_1600_32_asrock_ab350m_pro4/

Edited by eddie55 - 19 Jun 2018 at 9:38am
SkOrPn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkOrPn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:13am
The only option I have on my AB350M Pro4 from the above is Cool'n'Quiet. There is no AMD CBS menu in my bios. So you created this thread just for AB350 Pro4 but then mention the AB350M thread? FYI: This BIOS changes its menu options depending on what processor and what BIOS version you are using at the time.

AB350M Pro4 (on bios P3.40)
AMD A8-9600 (stock and using the INT R7 GPU)
Samsung 961 256GB NVME SSD
16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3200 B-die @2400Mhz (because I want this kit for future Zen 2, or at least a black friday on sale 2700X, later in the year, lol and a new mobo)

I'm on bios 3.40 Bridge of course because it runs the best with BR and SR so far and is the recommended bios for Bristol Ridge and Summit Ridge. Raven Ridge and newer Pinnacle Ridge chips probably need to be on newer BIOS versions.

By the way, my board only has issues if I disable Cool'n'Quiet and start setting voltages. It then reboots or freezes constantly. Running stock BIOS settings it runs day after day without any issue what so ever. I am trying Cool'n'Quiet disabled with no other changes to the BIOS to see if I can at least do that.

Thanks to the OP for this thread.

eddie55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:31am
I will update my post with my current setup but I am running the latest beta bios... Maybe with that bios you will have those options enabled...
Are you getting hard freeze when idle in the desktop but no freeze when gaming?
SkOrPn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkOrPn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 5:15am
Originally posted by eddie55 eddie55 wrote:

I will update my post with my current setup but I am running the latest beta bios... Maybe with that bios you will have those options enabled...
Are you getting hard freeze when idle in the desktop but no freeze when gaming?

I can't run the latest 4.xx bios as I am not using Ryzen 2 yet. When I upgraded to 4.xx it was nothing but unstable and felt generally slower. ASRock has been releasing those versions specifically for Ryzen 2 chips.

I am not gaming on this system and have no plans to do so. It has only once hard froze and I was on bios 4.70 when it did. My AB350M was spontaneously rebooting, but as far as I could tell ONLY when I disabled Cool'n'Quiet and started trying setting my own voltages. I could not find a stable setting after disabling Cool'n'Quiet, so I gave up since I really do not need it on this machine. And all I wanted was 3.8Ghz at minimum, lol.

I thought it was temps at first, but my IR temp gun says that's a crock of crap. Using my IR gun I have not seen temps over 41c which should NOT cause any issues. So there's that... I would redo the tim on the chipset and use some fujipoly on the VRM's, but why bother if its stable at stock settings? Its just a ebay biz running machine. At 52 years old I am getting very lazy. lol

I might try again when the next BIOS is released.

EDIT: Thought I might let ya know I was gifted this board by my Uncle who said it froze every 15 minutes of every day but NOT during gaming (so yes to your question). He used a Ryzen 5 1600 on it and I am NOT (hmm). I do not know what his settings were, or if he even bothered changing them. His first reaction to issues like this is buying "other" hardware, lol. So he got a Prime board instead and its been running flawless for him.

Since I got this A8 to update the bios for Ryzen I will have to wait until then. I might be waiting a long time though as I can't afford to upgrade it just yet. Maybe during black friday later this year I hope. I just have too many other money sucking projects here unfortunately.

Edited by SkOrPn - 17 Jun 2018 at 5:27am
benzsport357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benzsport357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 10:35am
Is this work for ab350m pro4 ?
SkOrPn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkOrPn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by benzsport357 benzsport357 wrote:

Is this work for ab350m pro4 ?
Its only three settings, so give it a try. Please let us know if you have all three settings and what BIOS you are running, please.
benzsport357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benzsport357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:49pm
It not in my setup now.
jj747 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:39am
I had already tried this configuration of BIOS after a few days the problems are back, then I changed motherboard with a "b350m gaming 3" and now I have no more problems
eddie55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eddie55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:36am
You guys are completely right i completely missed the M in the model number
My board is the AB350 Pro4 and the other thread was for the AB350M Pro4

SkOrPn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkOrPn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by eddie55 eddie55 wrote:

You guys are completely right i completely missed the M in the model number
My board is the AB350 Pro4 and the other thread was for the AB350M Pro4

Yeah these two boards which kinda look similar really are not very similar. One has great reviews on Newegg (your non-M variant), and the other (The M variant)... not so much, lol. I guess the M stands for "Meh"

Edited by SkOrPn - 19 Jun 2018 at 12:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic