ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with H370M-ITX/ac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
schrockstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schrockstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with H370M-ITX/ac
    Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 3:22am

This board (H370M-ITX/ac) is problematic for me. Stay away if you want to run 32G RAM.

1) The board is unstable running 2x16G of DDR4 2666 RAM. Running the RAM at 2133 still is not stable -- in order to keep the machine from freezing during a stress test, I had to overvolt the DRAM to 1.25V. This is pathetic, and it's a design flaw in the RAM layout of the board.

2) The board will refuse to post after a blue screen or freeze, if 2x16G RAM is installed. The board *will* post (and boot) if one of the DRAM sticks is removed. But this is completely obnoxious to have to sit there and remove and then replace RAM sticks just to get the idiotic thing to post.

It is stabilized now, and runs, and passes burn-in tests, but it's frustrating to have to over-volt the RAM to get it to run at 2133 (well under spec). Terrible board, terrible quality. My first (and last) ASRock board.

ASRock H370M-ITX/ac
Intel i5-8400
Corsair DDR4 2666 (2x16G) CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
WD Black 500G M.2 SSD WDS500G2X0C
EVGA XC Gaming GeForce RTX 2070
Seagate BarraCuda 3TB ST3000DM008
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3 220-G3-0550-Y1 550W Gold
CoolerMaster Elite 130 mini-ITX
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Writer
CoolerMaster ML120L Liquid Cooler (Push/Pull)
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
Glad you figured it out and thanks for the extra info. Sounds like a nice special build a very good purpose. Hope it runs well for you.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
RonRN18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRN18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:56am
Well, unfortunately, I found out that the Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 NVMe SSD was fried when the motherboard fried. When I took the SSD out, it was able to POST with no issues.
RonRN18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRN18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

What make and model is your PSU ? Did you Bench test the board, cpu and ram before installing in a case ? If two boards do not act right then it most likely is one of the other parts that is the problem.
What exact model Crucial ram ? Is it on the QVL list and did you run memtest86 before installing Ubuntu on the first build ? Yes many questions but to figure out your issue without being there requires more info.

This build is an unusual build. It is for a fairly unusual purpose. I'm beginning to think I biggest mistake has been to go with ASRock instead of something I'm more familiar with, such as an Asus or a Gigabyte, like I've done with countless other builds. This is going into a short 1U rack mount case, an ITX-102-BK from PlinkUSA. This will be going into a Placer County Sheriff's Search and Rescue mobile communications truck, using a DC-DC power supply. The PSU is a M4-ATX from Mini-Box.com. It will be connected to a bank of deep-cycle batteries directly, but we normally have a DC master control switch in the truck that is turned on for a mission. The flipping of the master power switch will turn the computer on after about 5 seconds. About 5 seconds after the master power switch is turned off, the PSU triggers the computer to turn off. After 5 minutes of being off, the +5VDC rail is shut off as well, so it does not drain the batteries if the truck sits for a while. This has all been tested and working fine. The Crucuial memory is Crucial 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model CT8G4DFD824A. When I initially put it all together, I had only put in one stick of the memory. As I stated initially, I had no issues, nor any reason to think I would have a problem, so I did not do a memory test. After building about 80 or more PCs over the years, for myself, friends or family, I have yet had issues that made me initially do a memory test prior to attempting to install an operating system. I have done memory tests when things aren't working correctly, but that has been on computers that have been in use for a while. Considering this did work for about 1.5 hours initially, but now won't even POST, it has me confused. The only other hardware in this build is the Samsung 960 EVO SSD. As this is only the second time I've built a computer using an NVMe SSD, I'm not sure if it could be the culprit or not... normally it wouldn't be if I just had a bad SATA drive, but considering it goes straight to the motherboard, I guess that is always possible. I can remove it and see if the machine miraculously POSTs.
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:22am
What make and model is your PSU ? Did you Bench test the board, cpu and ram before installing in a case ? If two boards do not act right then it most likely is one of the other parts that is the problem.
What exact model Crucial ram ? Is it on the QVL list and did you run memtest86 before installing Ubuntu on the first build ? Yes many questions but to figure out your issue without being there requires more info.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
RonRN18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRN18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:54am
I just realized that I had posted my previous problems in the "Review" instead of "Technical Support" section. My first post was on Friday, June 15, 2018:

I just built a new server based on the H370M-ITX/ac motherboard, using an Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz CPU, SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB SSD, and two sticks of Crucial 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 for memory. Everything seemed to go well. I was able to install Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS onto the SSD and after everything appeared to be working well, I started downloading the primary program that this machine will be running. After about 15 minutes of transferring about 50 GB of data from a local fileserver to this new machine, this new machine shut down. I can not get it restarted. I ran out of time to troubleshoot this on Monday night (the day I started this) so left it unplugged until today.

I initially thought it was a power supply issue, for a variety of reasons, so I pulled out an ATX PSU tester and it showed that the power supply was putting out all the right voltages on all rails. I then noticed that when "turned on", the power LED on my case was lit. I also noticed that on the LAN port that has an ethernet cable plugged in has a solidly lit orange activity/link LED but no speed LED lit. I do not see any LEDs on the motherboard like I've seen on other motherboards. I then noticed something that I found a bit odd... the CPU heatsink got pretty hot after a few minutes, which I find odd since it never booted up; none of the system fans ever turned on, including the CPU fan. I verified that the CPU fan does work by plugging the power to the CPU fan into another fan controller I had laying around. I had disconnected a keyboard and monitor on Monday evening, after installing the operating system and my plan was to just SSH into the machine, as this is intended to be a headless server. I just reconnected a monitor and keyboard and I get no lights on the keyboard light up. There is no video output to the monitor. I was hoping to see if I could at least get to the BIOS. I was hoping that if by chance, I had somehow burned out the CPU, the BIOS would at least tell me that. I was also hoping it would tell me if there was a problem with the RAM. Other than that, I can't think of what else to check. I have unplugged and replugged in everything. I have a power meter attached to the power supply, showing that when it is "turned on", it is drawing ~1.6 amps or 19.6 Watts. At this point, everything points to the motherboard failing somehow.

I then followed up with the following this morning: 

Unfortunately, when this was ordered from NewEgg, I had not saved all my packing material but I figured I may build another similar computer, so I ordered another motherboard. I carefully replaced the original motherboard with the replacement and put the original, back in a box so I can return in on an RMA. I can verify that the old motherboard was PART of my problem but not the sole problem. I can easily say this because it now shows the ASRock logo on the monitor and the instructions to press F2 or Del to enter UEFI Menu and a few other options in the lower right corner of the screen. I attached a speaker to the motherboard and there are no beep codes. All the case fans, including the CPU cooler turn on and slow down after a couple seconds, but still spin. While the keyboard lights up, nothing happens if I were to hit F2 or the Del button. Thinking I could have burned out the CPU too, I went to my local Fry's Electronics and bought a slightly inferior i3-8100, knowing it too should work. After changing it out, it makes absolutely no difference. As an interesting side-note, as I had previously mentioned the power drawn was ~1.6 amps or 19.6 Watts, it now draws ~1.9 amps or 24.1 Watts... this is with the fans spinning and the HDMI putting out the above-stated info. I have also tried switching around the RAM... each stick solely in each of the two slots individually, but still nothing else. Any ideas for what may be wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic