ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N68C-GC4FX boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N68C-GC4FX boot
    Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 4:19am
i hate crap like that
had a psu (750w corsair) tested fine with thermaltake tester yet would crash with the 960gtx , was fine with the 750ti
took ages to work out it was psu and not graphics

more so as the psu was newish and well up to the job of a 960gtx

still thanks for coming back to resolve the thread
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
kgiesselman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgiesselman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 3:08am
So let me close this one out.  Got to say this was a weird one.

It turns out that my power supply (600w) could not supply adequate power for the nVidia GTX 560 Ti running two monitors.  During what seemed like endless troubleshooting, I unplugged one of the monitors.  Surprise, the PC is actually fully booted into Windows 10 x64 and waiting for me to enter my PIN.  Plug the second monitor in and no screen output.  What really threw me was the monitor was indicating it had input.  I guess it knew it was connected but the video card did not have enough power to drive the monitors.
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:58am
I think the old parts life are ending, partial dying, hence problems start to crop up.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgiesselman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:08am
OK.  Update.

I booted into BIOS.  Reset everything to factory default.

Clean W10 x64 install.  Goes through install like a champ.  Finally boots into Windows Desktop but USB mouse won't work.  Shutdown.  Reboot.  Same as before, spinning dots then nothing on screen.

I thought maybe the nVidia card driver isn't happy.  Switched to onboard video.  Same.

@datonyb  Yea, two sticks of 2GB DDR3 in dual channel.  Low RAM for sure but this PC is only going to run a DISH Player in my shop so I can watch TV.  Internet in the shop but no cable.

I was running two 512MB sticks of DDR2 RAM with everything else the same but W10 x32.  Was getting some lag in the video and thought more memory would help and that is what I had lying around.

I built this PC basically out of extra parts except for the MB.  Originally thought I only had DDR2 so that is what I used.  Hard to find AM3/DDR2 boards these days.  Found DDR3 in another hidey hole so swapped it in to get to 2GB.  This should run W10 x64 with ease.

This feels like a video problem as everything is fine until the PC gets to the place where video drivers are normally loaded.  I am going to try another clean install with the internal video chip selected instead of the PCI-E.  Maybe Windows will load a different driver.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:08am
i must say though your ram is very very low amount for windows 10 mate
and i presume your using one stick in single channel not the best layout

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgiesselman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:39pm
OK.  Will try and get back to you.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:35pm
set all bios to defaults
try again

if not maybe consider making a new windows install usb via 'windows media creation tool' and installing newest version again clean install

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgiesselman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:26pm
ASRock N68C-GS4FX motherboard
AMD Phenom 550 X2
GSkill ECO 2GB DDR3 memory (on QVL)
Asus nVidia GeForce 550 Ti
WD 300GB hard drive

Windows 10 Pro v1704

Load Windows and everything appears to go normally.  Go through setup, enter login info, PC reboots, get the blue windows logo, get the spinning dots, screen blanks, logon screen never appears.

The PC is not locked up.  USB keyboard can toggle numlock on and off, even power down PC.

Not sure how to start trouble shooting.  Everything in BIOS looks ok.   I could load the latest BIOS but not sure that will make things better or worse.  All suggestions appreciated and responded to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic