ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

add toslink spdif to ASRock Z75 Pro3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingpapawawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: add toslink spdif to ASRock Z75 Pro3
    Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 10:22am
I have this motherboard  ASRock Z75 Pro3 and it does not have s/pdif output.  Can I add an s/pdif bracket and connect to the HDMI_spdif header on the motherboard? 

If not is there another option?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 2:37pm
According to your board's manual (page 36), the HDMI_SPDIF Header is a SPDIF output (electrical, two pin), so should be able to work with an appropriate adapter bracket.

The adapter bracket, and the type of interface you need will determine if that header will work for you. If you need a TOSLINK output, the adapter bracket must be capable of converting from SPDIF electrical to TOSLINK optical.

What adapter bracket did you consider using?
kingpapawawa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingpapawawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 11:55am
the header on the mb is 2 pins. all of the brackets i have found require 3. output 5v and ground. i think this is designed to go to a vga card only to pass audio to hdmi?

Just going to buy a cheap sound card with spdif or usb to spdif probably
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 1:34pm
You are right, that is the main purpose of the two pin SPDIF header.

If the brackets you found have a TOSLINK output, then the five volt pin is required for the component that converts the electrical SPDIF signal to optical.

All electrical SPDIF I/O connections on audio equipment are either RCA or BNC jacks (not including AES balanced signals on three pin XLR)  that use two conductor coaxial cable. There is no need or connection for a +5V DC power source.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic