ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Max safe voltage for Ryzen CPU's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 5:39am
I confess, I am not really answering your question...

I would rather go for guaranteed stability and long term life.  How much time would setting every core to 4.0 GHz make over the normal 3.6 XFR (?) GHz on a 1800X?

There is a certain amount of obtaining a very high overclock, really just for the sake of bragging rights.  Ultimately, in use I really doubt it makes much difference at all.
If some video took 30mins to render and instead took 27 minutes to render, really does that 3 minutes become noticeable?
To me, those 3 minutes are lost in the overall time of the task not being done in 3 minutes but neat half an hour.  I'd be out of the room, doing something else and would probably come back a few minutes after it had finished anyway.

Again, I appreciate I am doing what tends to anger me on the internet, not answering the question, but instead questioning the OP's reason why they ask the question.

So, as far as I have read there seems to be indication that for constant running 1.35v vCore (on chip vCore not motherboard reported?) is the upper limit for safe and long term use.  However, if the voltage goes up and down and core clock goes up and down, there seems to be indication that really up to about 1.45v vCore temporarily is OK.
Certainly, normal use XFR on a 2 core load up to 3.9GHz with stock settings on my 1700x tends to want to tap on 1.4+ volts, but is closer to 1.3v when all cores are loaded up to 3.5GHz.

I guess you could contact AMD directly and ask for clarification.  They seemed quite approachable when I contacted them some while back.
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic