ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't restore a saved UEFI Profile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
STaRDoGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STaRDoGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't restore a saved UEFI Profile
    Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 9:31pm
@Reinvented: Wrong. I'm experienced enough, and if you knew more about me, you'd know this.

Second, It'd be a simple feat to store these tweaks in a non-binary format, and add logic to the loading function to ignore any incompatible settings. I also know this, as a software developer and reverse-engineer of 22 years (probably longer than you are old.) 

FTR, I hex edited the saved .bin, changing the version number to the most recent, then loaded it up. Worked great. Evil Smile

Edited by STaRDoGG - 23 Jul 2018 at 10:02pm
Contributing Developer of the Ryzen RAM OverClocking Calculator
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:14am
Originally posted by STaRDoGG STaRDoGG wrote:

@datonyb, ahhhhhh man, if that's true ASRock REALLY needs to fix that.... so not cool to make it's users manually re-add a hundred tweaks each BIOS update... Angry

They don't need to fix that.  BIOS revisions will change stuff, and change stability.  Having to re-tweak is necessary.  No motherboard manufacturer does this at all either because you can easily corrupt settings and lose stability.  If you can't be bothered to re-input your stuff then you aren't experienced enough to be messing with it in the first place.  
STaRDoGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STaRDoGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:30pm
BTW, does anyone from ASRock read/reply to this forum, or is this a user-only forum?
STaRDoGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STaRDoGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:29pm
@datonyb, ahhhhhh man, if that's true ASRock REALLY needs to fix that.... so not cool to make it's users manually re-add a hundred tweaks each BIOS update... Angry
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:23am
yes i can answer

you cant use a profile from a different bios version
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
STaRDoGG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STaRDoGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:59pm
I have a ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X

I painstakingly tweak tons of settings in it while overclocking; then I need to do a BIOS firmware update ...

• I click on "Save Profile Settings to Disk", save the config file (.bin) to a USB stick, it says it saved successfully.... (I'm able to see the file on the disk)
  • I then flash the BIOS
  • Reboot back into the BIOS (the BIOS is now fully reset due to the flash)
  • I click on "Load Profile Settings from Disk", select that same USB stick ...

... *boom*, the settings file is now invisible, and therefore impossible to load back into the BIOS. Even putting an asterisk (*) as the file name and pressing Enter, or *.* and pressing Enter doesn't force the file to be visible. AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

When I view the USB stick within Windows, I can see the .bin file just fine; it's strictly not visible within the BIOS' file explorer while trying to load it. This is on the latest 4.80, and I've had this same issue with previous versions. I emailed ASRock support once asking about it, and of course, got ZERO reply.

It's impossible for me to remember all of these tweaks, and maddening to try and go through and constantly (try to) manually restore them one-by-one after every BIOS upgrade.

WTF ASRock?? Anyone know what's up?

Edited by STaRDoGG - 20 Jul 2018 at 12:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic