ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heads up on AB350 and X370 itx uefi update?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WinWiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinWiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:36am
[URL=][/URL]Last few day I have been trying to get the custom Pstates working, so yes have been using the AMD Mode. Pstate OC seems broken on this board so today I went back to "Asrock Mode" -I find the menu layout more convenient -and some say its faster.
(edit: Actually Pstate OC is working,but CPU-Z only show P0 frequency)

What are your XMP setings?

Edited by WinWiz - 11 Aug 2018 at 4:56pm
wino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:28am
In my case when I unplug the cable all UEFI settings are saved, except AMD CBS RAM timings settings. I don't OC at all. Ryzen 5 1600 stock, RAM at XMP. Everything is working normal, but when I move the computer to a different place (I do it few times a month) XMP settings are reset on cold boot.

WinWiz are you using CSM mode in UEFI?
| AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac 10.08 BIOS | Ryzen 5 5600 | G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB @ 3400 14-14-14-28 | Zotac GTX 1050 Ti | Kingston KC3000 1 TB M.2 | SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W V2 |
WinWiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinWiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 6:52am
Well I unplug the powercord several times every day, and my Fatal1ty AB350-ITC/ac does'nt forget any UEFI settings... 
It only happens if I raise the clocks on my RAM above 3266Mhz. So something I your setups is not "boot stable".
I suggest you try a mild OC (like stock +5%) any verify that cold boot keeps this mild OC. If +5% is ok then try 10%-15%-20%... Until you find the spot where cold boot becomes and issue.
wino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by dspcmn dspcmn wrote:

Originally posted by gade gade wrote:

2. I take it that because I do not see the Memory Training option anymore that means it is off by default now?

Not from my experience (AB350 ITX).

Every time there's a power loss some UEFI parameters are lost, one of these is the XMP2 profile set for the RAM, and the "Memory Training" is executed next time the PC is started...

I find it bizarre that the official description of the new FW explicitly mentions
Quote 2.Keep the XMP setting after system resuming from G3 state.
and G3 is AC loss FWIK.

So did they failed to fix it or are we doing it wrong?
Unfortunately they failed to fix it. But why they wrote it is ok? This is pathetic... 
| AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac 10.08 BIOS | Ryzen 5 5600 | G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB @ 3400 14-14-14-28 | Zotac GTX 1050 Ti | Kingston KC3000 1 TB M.2 | SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W V2 |
dspcmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dspcmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by gade gade wrote:

2. I take it that because I do not see the Memory Training option anymore that means it is off by default now?

Not from my experience (AB350 ITX).

Every time there's a power loss some UEFI parameters are lost, one of these is the XMP2 profile set for the RAM, and the "Memory Training" is executed next time the PC is started...

I find it bizarre that the official description of the new FW explicitly mentions
Quote 2.Keep the XMP setting after system resuming from G3 state.
and G3 is AC loss FWIK.

So did they failed to fix it or are we doing it wrong?
WinWiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinWiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 9:42am
Personally I would rather run 2933 T1 than 3200 T2, so I haven't used it on this board.
I'm pretty sure gear down is faster than T2. Think of it as something like 1.5T
gade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 2:57am
1. Does gear down mode only work when you have T2 enabled? If so, would T2 + gear down be better than T1?

3. Does anyone here know how to enable "SPD Write" (or the AMD equivalent) on these ASRock boards by chance?

Edited by gade - 09 Aug 2018 at 2:58am
SYS64738 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYS64738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 1:49am
Originally posted by WinWiz WinWiz wrote:

Max official ram speed for ravenridge is 2933, so anything above that is overclocking and not guaranteed.
Before this latest bios I also had this issue so I do understand your frustration, but above 2600Mhz the performance increase is minimal, so I don't believe you would really fell the difference between 2933 and 3200Mhz ram.
Have you tried to increase the soc voltage on or two steps above the default?
If you really want 3200Mhz you could try command rate=2 -or enable gear down mode...

You could also disable ram training but then I'm guessing your system would hang/freeze on cold boot instead of booting with bios default speeds, might be worth a try...  

I know its strange how fast ram can seem stable in prime, memtest and games but fail cold boot, but I have experinced this on overclocked athlons many years ago, so its not unprecedented.

Any advice on how to disable memory training in this UEFI version?
WinWiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinWiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 9:45pm
Max official ram speed for ravenridge is 2933, so anything above that is overclocking and not guaranteed.
Before this latest bios I also had this issue so I do understand your frustration, but above 2600Mhz the performance increase is minimal, so I don't believe you would really fell the difference between 2933 and 3200Mhz ram.
Have you tried to increase the soc voltage on or two steps above the default?
If you really want 3200Mhz you could try command rate=2 -or enable gear down mode...

You could also disable ram training but then I'm guessing your system would hang/freeze on cold boot instead of booting with bios default speeds, might be worth a try...  

I know its strange how fast ram can seem stable in prime, memtest and games but fail cold boot, but I have experinced this on overclocked athlons many years ago, so its not unprecedented.

Edited by WinWiz - 08 Aug 2018 at 9:49pm
SYS64738 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYS64738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by WinWiz WinWiz wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Not all Samsung b-dies are equal. I'm guessing Gskill bins them. What speed are you trying to achieve, and what the ram officially rated for?

I would be fine if the system would stop resetting the RAM and IGP settings on cold boot when I use the XMP setting the ram is rated for which is 3200 16-18-18-38. If I reenter the settings and do a warm reboot they stick until I take the system with me (the use case for my itx build) and therefore unplug the wall power.

The XMP-3200 setting runs perfectly stable as far as I can tell but for some reason does supposedly not get past the memory training procedure which happens after power loss. In february for the Raven Ridge release I explicitly bought the RAM as it was one of the few sticks on the QVL list rated for 3200 MHz by ASRock for my board. Some time later they have changed the frequency on the QVL list. But again, all my checks indicate the RAM is perfectly stable at 3200.

The plethora of issues from ASRock and AMD themselves made troubleshooting Raven Ridge builds practically impossible and I am severely disappointed that the release such unstable products.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic