ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Doesn't POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solamour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Doesn't POST
    Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 12:30am
I just put together the following, and when I turn it on, the CPU cooler spins (and the LED light on the CPU cooler is on as well). But after a few seconds, the whole thing just powers down; both the CPU cooler and the power supply's fan stop. While it was on for a few seconds, I didn't hear any beeping sound nor saw anything on the screen.

* AMD Ryzen 2700X

* AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac: The little sticker on the BIOS chip says "P4.60", which is the latest version as of now (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS). It should be compatible with Ryzen 2000 series.

* Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB CMK16GX4M2B3000C15: This is on the Qualified Vendor List (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#MemoryRR), so I guess it should be OK as well.

* ASUS Radeon HD5450: I have no need for anything more powerful than this, and besides, this is the only one I have. I tried it on an equally prehistoric motherboard and it worked fine. At least it's a PCIe card, and it fits perfectly to AB350.

* Zalman ZM600-HP: It's an old 600W power supply that had served well for a long time before I decommission a few years ago.

I'm out of clue, except that perhaps the power supply is underpowered or the graphics card is too old. I appreciate any suggestions or opinions. Thank you.
__
sol

Edited by solamour - 03 Aug 2018 at 2:13am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 1:13am
well the specs for psu seem ok

may i suggest back to basics

install 1 stick of ram in slot a2
24pin power to board
8 pin cpu/eps power to top left corner of board
no hdd/ssd or dvd's
and also try if you can different options for the display output to monitor eg hdmi/display port/vga
try to boot be aware some systems can require a wait of incredible length 2-3 mins before bios screen
some reports of 3-4 cold boot attempts before signs of life also on first boot after bios flash of new build
other than that remove and refit cpu clear bios (battery out ) and retry

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
dspcmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dspcmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 6:07pm
No beep is expected as the BM lacks a speaker, if you can scavenge one and connect it maybe it can give some clues about the problem via beep codes...

datonyb in his post above was extensive but forgot to mention also memory training, the PC should reboot three or more times in rapid succession to test the RAM frequency/speed installed on the system. The first time I experienced it scared me as I thought the PSU was malfunctioning and pulled the cord from it... ^__^;

Edited by dspcmn - 25 Jul 2018 at 6:09pm
maktama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maktama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by dspcmn dspcmn wrote:

No beep is expected as the BM lacks a speaker, if you can scavenge one and connect it maybe it can give some clues about the problem via beep codes...
AB350 Gaming-itx MBs have a speaker(buzzer) in package. Just have to plug in to respective  pinouts on  motherboard. if it's already plugged in, naturally expected beep sounds.
Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITXac Ryzen5 1600, ASUS GeForce GTX1060 DUAL OC 3GB, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 SSD,
solamour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solamour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:41am
I just realized I'm out of thermal grease, so once I acquire some, I'll try the following.

* Start with 1 RAM stick.
* Disconnect HDD/SSD/DVD drives.
* Make sure all power cables are properly connected.
* Try all display connectors (DVI, HDMI, VGA) in the graphics card.
* Give it sufficient time, because initial booting might take several tries.
* Clear CMOS while I'm at it.
* Connect speaker. I didn't see a speaker in the box, though.
* Try different power switch. The problem I observed (i.e. the system powers down shortly after starting) looked similar to how it would behave if I keep the power switch pressed, so it might be worthwhile to verify.

I'll report back once I go through the list.
dspcmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dspcmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by maktama maktama wrote:

AB350 Gaming-itx MBs have a speaker(buzzer) in package. Just have to plug in to respective  pinouts on  motherboard. if it's already plugged in, naturally expected beep sounds.

Not to nitpick but usually a PC speaker isn't packaged with a MB but embedded in the PC case.

Well, yeah I'm nitpicking. Also I'm not so fun at parties... ^__~
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 5:40pm
Speaker ) optional) comes in MB pack..................
spin up then power down sounds like psu fail to meet MB specs  for stability.
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
solamour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solamour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 2:07pm
I tried again, and the following is the result.

* With everything suggested: I hear 5 beeps and then the motherboard shuts down. Pressing the power button doesn't turn it on again; I need to turn off/on the power supply.

* Without video card (Radeon HD5450): I hear 5 beeps and then another 5 beeps, but at least the motherboard doesn't shut down.

If I have to take a wild guess, I'd say it's the video card is to blame. Perhaps it's too old or simply not compatible. If that is so, I'd like a recommendation on something 1) affordable, 2) fits in Mini-ITX case, 3) quiet, and 4) preferably AMD instead of NVIDIA.

I have no need for anything other than the barest basic, because the choice was either 2700X or 2400G, but I needed more CPU cores than graphics.

Edited by solamour - 29 Jul 2018 at 2:09pm
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:54pm
those 5 beeps are short beeps? or long beeps?
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:36pm
That video card should work fine, unless its electrically defective.  Have the same one, works fine in all modern MBs.  At the hardware level, the BIOS just needs a place to divert VGA signals to, so that card should work fine if its actually working correctly.

There is one obscure option that is possible with the video card.  It could be a "pre" UEFI GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) version of the HD5450.  I updated mine years ago (BIOS flash to the VGA Card), so it works.  But if your card has an older BIOS, its possible that it might not actually work correctly as the MBs UEFI BIOS doesn't handshake with it correctly.

Here's a reference for it:  https://community.amd.com/thread/183390

I have the same board, runs great.  Just a dumb question...  are you plugging the video cable from the monitor into the mobo or the vga card.  It needs to be in the VGA card unless you have an APU.

5 beeps could mean anything.  I believe its a generic failure code, but it could be a problem with the UEFI GOP support failing

Also, another dumb question....  is the 8 pin mobo power connector connected?  that is usually needed to power the CPU, especially a 2700X as its not really a low power CPU per se.   You might want to get a cheapo power supply tester to see if everything is working correctly and all 8 lines have either power or ground.

I use the 2400G and have had great luck with the combo.  

Could also be simply a bad mobo, but you'd need some additional components to test it.   Have had pretty good luck with asrock, but any consumer electronic device can fail for invisible reasons

Edited by nanohead - 30 Jul 2018 at 12:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic