ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why the lack of holes through the PCB on the X99
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why the lack of holes through the PCB on the X99

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonschk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why the lack of holes through the PCB on the X99
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 5:04pm
Hello, can you tell me please why All the Asrock intel X99 motherboards don't have holes through the PCB fiberglass to install the CPU cooler, many other enthusiast X99 motherboards from other manufacturers have such holes around the CPU

Edited by tonschk - 01 Oct 2015 at 5:09pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 5:45pm
I am not sure I follow, the image you posted is of an MSI board for one and there are 4 threaded standoffs present for CPU cooler mounting. 

The 2011-3 platform has a different CPU cooler mounting configuration than the 1150 platform because the 2011-3 CPUs tend to have much higher TDPs than the socket 1150/1155 CPUs. Some coolers will come with mounting options for both and the standard has been present since first gen socket 2011 so by now most coolers that have adequate cooling abilities for a socket 2011 platform should have socket 2011 mounting support. Odds are, if the cooler does not have the right mounting brackets, it does not support the TDP requirements of the platform or it is an out dated model. The cooler mounting system on socket 2011 boards is a lot more sturdy than that found on 1150/1155 systems from what I have seen and this is as a result of the 2011 socket being focused on the server/enthusiast market where the last thing you want is a plastic peg breaking off and causing the cooler to tilt or worse, fall off. The server market in particular is very demanding on product stability and reliability so intel established a standard that ASRock, along with every other board manufacturer I know of, uses for a more robust mounting system that will withstand heavier coolers as well as long periods of constant use.

I hope this answers your question, if not, please post comparison pictures of what you are talking about and the other manufacturer that provides it.

Welcome to the forums Smile

Edited by Xaltar - 01 Oct 2015 at 5:47pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by tonschk tonschk wrote:

Hello, can you tell me please why All the Asrock intel X99 motherboards don't have holes through the PCB fiberglass to install the CPU cooler, many other enthusiast X99 motherboards from other manufacturers have such holes around the CPU

What might appear to be a standard heatsink mounting design with holes through the mother board, such as the example you provided, really are not that type of design.

Notice in your picture that it appears a backplate has been mounted on the board. We don't see holes through the board as we would with any board designed for Intel processors other than socket 2011 and 2011-v3. Instead we see threaded metal studs. How many boards are sold with a backplate already mounted, since the backplate is not a standardized design across CPU cooler manufactures.

The board in your example is not designed for a standard CPU cooler design, such as those that fit socket 1151, 1150, 1155, 1156, or 1366. It still must use a CPU cooler designed for the 2011-v3 socket. It is just a variation of the 2011-v3 socket.

If the board in the example can use CPU coolers other than those designed for socket 2011-v3, which type of CPU cooler mounting is it compatible with?

tonschk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonschk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:00am
Hello, thank you very much for the answers and thank you also for the welcome Smile . Other mobo manufacturers like Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI, have released All their enthusiast X79 and X99 motherboards with four (4) holes through the PCB to install the CPU cooler, and even Asus went to the extent to offer the possibility to use the normal small LGA2011 back plate and was also included with the mobo accessories the bigger LGA2011 back plate.
The photo of my previous post is from a X99 MSI mobo which has been done with the bigger back plate. I was under shock when I realized that All the X99 Asrock motherboards have been made without holes through PCB for the CPU cooler, pity
">

Edited by tonschk - 02 Oct 2015 at 1:33am
tonschk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonschk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:42am
My guess is that MSI was using the same thread for the screws as the standard LGA2011 latching mechanism
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

[QUOTE=tonschk]
If the board in the example can use CPU coolers other than those designed for socket 2011-v3, which type of CPU cooler mounting is it compatible with?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 2:57am
Originally posted by tonschk tonschk wrote:

My guess is that MSI was using the same thread for the screws as the standard LGA2011 latching mechanism
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

[QUOTE=tonschk]

I agree, that was the point of my statement. The boards that are using the separate backplate socket design still must use CPU coolers designed for socket 2011-v3 boards.

I don't understand why you seem to think the separate backplate design is superior, or why it is a pity that ASRock does not use that design. The ASRock 2011-v3 boards have a socket backplate, but the threaded studs for the CPU cooler mounting are on the top of the board.

The only use for the interchangeable backplates as described by one board manufacture, is for easier mounting of an LN2 pot. That is used for cooling a CPU with liquid nitrogen for extreme over clocking attempts.
tonschk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonschk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 6:28pm

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]
I don't understand why you seem to think the separate backplate design is superior, or why it is a pity that ASRock does not use that design. The ASRock 2011-v3 boards have a socket backplate, but the threaded studs for the CPU cooler mounting are on the top of the board.

The only use for the interchangeable backplates as described by one board manufacture, is for easier mounting of an LN2 pot. That is used for cooling a CPU with liquid nitrogen for extreme over clocking attempts.
[/QUOTE]

I think the Full size backplate is better in comparison with the smaller standard LGA2011 backplate because using the fullsize backplate make a stronger and stiff bond, joining together the latching mechanism, the full size backplate and the motherboard, using the smaller standard backplate the cooler only join the latching mechanism on one side of the motherboard, the photos below show what I mean

I was under shock when I become aware that All the Asrock X99 motherboards were made without holes through the PCB for the CPU cooler, incredible

Edited by tonschk - 12 Oct 2015 at 7:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic