ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z270 Extreme4 Can't Install Windows?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecoscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z270 Extreme4 Can't Install Windows?
    Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:10pm
Built a new rig about a month ago with some spare parts I had lying around, all new in box.  I used this board, i7 6700k, 32GB Corsair dominator platinum dd4 26666, 500GB Samsung Evo SSD, 4TB WD Black HDD.  Using it for an arcade machine, worked great.  Went to unpack a bunch of .rar files and the machine kept rebooting.   Then it started throwing random BSOD, different message every time.  I did add an additional 4TB WD Blue Drive the other day.  Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue.

I tried reinstalling windows and kept getting BSODs.  Tried installing with different combinations of ram.  Tried installing on a different HDDs.  Nothing worked.  I tried running memtest86 and it keeps randomly freezing at different spots.  I tried running with every combination of sticks installed.  However, it is not giving me any errors before it freezes.  So maybe it's not the ram?  Could it be the board or the CPU?  I have no clue where to go from her besides replacing the board.  Any ideas?
mikecoscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecoscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:48am
Just an update, I received the new mobo this afternoon and swapped it out.  No change.  So, I ended up going to Micro Center and bought a new 7700k and 16GB of ram.  Figured I would return whatever I did not need.  Tried the CPU first....bingo.   Was able to install windows and memtest86 has been running four about an hour no without any issues.  Going to let it run all night to be sure.  I will also prime95 test the computer tomorrow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic