ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 - Tuning memory without XMP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bengalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 - Tuning memory without XMP?
    Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:33am
I've got a stability issue on my AB350 Pro4 motherboard when running my 2133 RAM (rated at 2666) at any speed above 2400.

I won't go into the specifics here as I've posted to other forums - however I am being told not to use the XMP profiles and instead enter in all my RAM tuning settings manually.

However, I cannot tell how this can be done in the BIOS.  While I see settings for latency, voltage, etc, I don't see a way to increase the actual clock speed of the RAM.

If I set the XMP profile from Auto to manual and select the 2666 speed then my system won't load.
If I keep the XMP on "auto" then it just detects as 2133.

How do you effectively turn XMP "disable" and manually configure all settings?
mart7mcfl7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mart7mcfl7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:16am
The advanced ram setup in in the AMD CBS settings buddy
bengalih View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bengalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by mart7mcfl7 mart7mcfl7 wrote:

The advanced ram setup in in the AMD CBS settings buddy

Ok thanks I did see those settings and wondered why they were a duplicate of many of the settings on the first page.

Just to confirm on the "OC Tweaker" page I should set the "OC Mode Change Switch" to "AMD CBS Setting" instead of ASRock?

"Then under Advanced\AMD CBS\UMC Common Options\DRAM Timing Options" I set the "Overclock" to "Enabled" and then fill out all the settings there?

I just tried that with a basic config and it does seem to take some effect (Ofc I'm still new to these settings so not sure exactly what to change and how it influences).

But, what I am still concerned about is that even with the configuration as above on the "OC Tweaker" page it still says list the following under my "DRAM Configuration" heading:

"XMP 2.0 Profile 1: DDR4-2666 15-15-15-35 1.20V"

Now the Auto/XMP button is no longer there "it disappears after I switched to "AMD CBS Setting" but is it normal for it to still show an XMP Profile listed there?
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 4:52am
yes that is normal
bengalih View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bengalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 5:12am
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

yes that is normal

Thanks.  What I'm curious about the displayed profile there is that it says:

"XMP 2.0 Profile 1: DDR4-2666 15-15-15-35 1.20V"

That's whether or not I have XMP set to Auto.

But why is it showing that specific profile?

My RAM (F4-2666C15D-8GVR) is 2133 rated to 2666.
But on first system boot (no tweaks - set to Auto) the system boots 2133.
If I change from Auto to XMP 1 I can select the speed (2400/2666/etc.).

So it is saying "XMP 2.0 Profile 1: DDR4-2666 15-15-15-35 1.20V" but it is really booting at 2133.
If I actually change the profile to 2666 I have issues.

So I don't know why it is saying it using the 2666 profile when it is configured to boot at 2133.

I need to go back and test, but I think even when I set it to 2400 (which boots) it still says 2666 in that XMP profile line :?
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:29am
selecting the xmp profile will just load the timings not the mem freq which you have to select yourself if it doesn't boot in 2666 in xmp then that timing profile is not compatible with your system. 

And you may require to look for timings that would work for you at whatever speed.
bengalih View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bengalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 6:18am
Well I'm happy to say it looks like I may have resolved my issues by manually setting some of the DRAM settings.

Currently I am setting them by selecting the XMP profile, selecting the desired speed and changing my DRAM timings under that.

I guess my last question on this topic is how exactly is it different changing the DRAM timings under the XMP on the main page different then enabling the CBS settings and drilling down into those sub-menus to change DRAM timings?

IOW what are the advantages/disadvantages of using the ASRock OC vs the AMD CBS configuration?

thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic