ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97E-ITX/ac: SSD M.2 don't boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Dan Dan wrote:

What boot options do appear?

Dan

none because I do not have any hard drive or DVD connected to the motherboard. If I connect the pendrive with the windows installer (rufus) then the boot option for the USB memory appears.
cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Windscythe Windscythe wrote:

Please update if you find a solution. I know that the Toshiba (OCZ) RC100 is still fairly new. Hopefully it just needs Bios update from ASRock to work. It's currently disappointing that I can't get it to work as a boot drive at the moment considering it's one of, if not the only 2242 Nvme drives available. 

On a side note, the Z97 platform does say that I should be able to get 10gb/s on the M.2 slot. It appears as though I'm only getting around 6-7gb/s and that it's not a limitation of the drive itself but of the interface on the board. Is there a setting that I'm not seeing. I did set it to Force M.2.

I have personally written to the technical support service of Toshiba / OCZ and they have told me that it seems a problem of implementation of the BIOS on my motherboard. OCZ suggests asking for tech support from Asrock for this question, that's why I'm here.

I hope that some ASrock technician can offer me some solution but I am pretty sure that to be able to install windows in an M.2 memory it will be necessary to update the UEFI obligatorily. Without update of the UEFI I doubt very much that this can be done.

***ASrock***, please, update the UEFI!! HELP!! CryCryCry
I really like my mobo and I do not want to have to change it!

Edited by cronos - 14 Aug 2018 at 12:16am
Windscythe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:04am
When no drives aside from the M.2 are installed, there are no boot options. 

I am able to install windows 10 from a USB drive and it will detect and install Windows 10 on the M.2 SSD. Once it reboots though, there is no Boot Loader Options. I have tried CSM Disabled. I have tried CSM Enabled with UEFI OpRom Enabled. I have tried Secure Boot Enabled and Disabled. Still no Boot Options even with Windows 10 loaded on the M.2 SSD.

I have also installed Windows 10 on a USB with WinToGo so that I was able to run windows off of a USB drive. Once loaded into Windows 10, the M.2 SSD is accesable and shows all the Windows OS Folders on the drive. I can use the drive perfectly from inside Windows 10, but I just simply cannot get the Bios to detect the M.2 SSD or detect a Windows Boot from the M.2 SSD.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:06am
I agree that this is very much most likely a BIOS issue on the the side of ASRock. This is a new drive, but is very likely to be a very popular drive since it's the only NVME based 2242 M.2 SSD that I know of. Hopefully ASRock will update the BIOS so that this M.2 Device can be detected from within BIOS. 

I am currently using BIOS Version 2.20 for the Z97e-itx/ac.

cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:50am

When no drives aside from the M.2 are installed, there are no boot options. 

I am able to install windows 10 from a USB drive and it will detect and install Windows 10 on the M.2 SSD. Once it reboots though, there is no Boot Loader Options. I have tried CSM Disabled. I have tried CSM Enabled with UEFI OpRom Enabled. I have tried Secure Boot Enabled and Disabled. Still no Boot Options even with Windows 10 loaded on the M.2 SSD.

I have also installed Windows 10 on a USB with WinToGo so that I was able to run windows off of a USB drive. Once loaded into Windows 10, the M.2 SSD is accesable and shows all the Windows OS Folders on the drive. I can use the drive perfectly from inside Windows 10, but I just simply cannot get the Bios to detect the M.2 SSD or detect a Windows Boot from the M.2 SSD.

Exactly. Windows detects the SSD but the BIOS not. Without updating the BIOS windows it would detect M.2 memory only if the operating system is installed on a hard drive connected to a SATA port.

Unfortunately if ASRock does not give me a solution I will have to return the memory SSD because if I can not install windows it does not help me....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:24am
So....and update. I basically gave up on getting the bios to give me a boot option for the Toshiba RC100 NVME M.2 Drive, even though I was able to install Windows 10 on it. So I left the drive in, but went to install Windows 10 on my 850 Evo Sata SSD. Windows 10 would go through the motions of installing itself on the SSD, but it wouldn't fully install on it and so it wouldn't boot. Finally after several attempts and several different BIOS settings, I went ahead and locked the M.2 Drive option into Force SATA Express just to turn it off, without having to take the motherboard out and removing it physically. 

After I did that, I was able to install Windows 10 on the 850 EVO SSD. Now the SSD drive was in the Sata 0 spot on the board. In fact I tried it in Sata 0, 1, 2, and 3 and it was all the same issue. So basically the bios hates this Toshiba RC100 drive so much that it just refuses to work with any on board non USB device while the M.2 is connected.

Please ASRock, update the Bios for the Z97e-itx/ac so that it can use the Toshiba RC100 NVME M.2 Drive. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:13am
Well. I got it working. I'm not sure what the rules are here, and if we're allowed to talk about Bios Modification, but the bottom line is I was able to get the Toshiba RC100 NVME Drive to work as a boot drive on my Z97e-itx/ac. 

It wasn't very difficult, so if it's allowed to talking about Bios modification here, let me know and I'll post what I did. Otherwise feel free to message me.
cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:44pm

Well. I got it working. I'm not sure what the rules are here, and if we're allowed to talk about Bios Modification, but the bottom line is I was able to get the Toshiba RC100 NVME Drive to work as a boot drive on my Z97e-itx/ac. 

It wasn't very difficult, so if it's allowed to talking about Bios modification here, let me know and I'll post what I did. Otherwise feel free to message me.

PLEASE tell me how you did it !!! I'm waiting! Was it something related to the GPT partition?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 7:49pm
There is a post somewhere else that I was able to find:

"How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS"

This process was apparently designed so that people could get NVME support for 6-8 series chipset support. In fact this is pulled directly from the post. 

• Nearly all mainboard manufacturers are meanwhile offering new BIOS versions with full NVMe support for their mainboards with an Intel 9-Series or X99 Chipset.

So even though 9 Series has Nvme support, for some reason this board, does not have nvme support for this specific Nvme drive. I wasn't even sure that this would work, and was very pleasantly surprised once I went through the whole process and it did work. 

So a few things of importance to note. Obviously altering a BIOS carries risks and the possibility of bricking your motherboard. So if you aren't willing to take that risk on yourself, I wouldn't recommend doing this. So I'm not personally advocating that anyone do this, I'm simply sharing my experience. 

Things of note:

I used the program by CodeRush called "UEFITool v0.25.1"

I used the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs to insert NVME support into the 2.20 BIOS file from ASRock

After following the instructions from that original post, I quickly learned that the ASRock Instant Flash would deny the flash attempt with the Modded BIOS, so I searched again and found another informative post by looking up: 

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

I then scrolled down to the section for ASRock mainboards with AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS

After I completed that portion, I was able to flash the new modded bios and BAM, not only was I able to install Windows 10 WITH Secure Boot and Keys Loaded, CSM Disabled, but it loaded into it perfectly. I am even able to use ULTRA FAST BOOT with the drive. 

If you have any questions, just let me know. If you want me to walk you through what I did over Discord, just message me and I'll send a link.

cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 4:38am

There is a post somewhere else that I was able to find:

"How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS"

This process was apparently designed so that people could get NVME support for 6-8 series chipset support. In fact this is pulled directly from the post. 

• Nearly all mainboard manufacturers are meanwhile offering new BIOS versions with full NVMe support for their mainboards with an Intel 9-Series or X99 Chipset.

So even though 9 Series has Nvme support, for some reason this board, does not have nvme support for this specific Nvme drive. I wasn't even sure that this would work, and was very pleasantly surprised once I went through the whole process and it did work. 

So a few things of importance to note. Obviously altering a BIOS carries risks and the possibility of bricking your motherboard. So if you aren't willing to take that risk on yourself, I wouldn't recommend doing this. So I'm not personally advocating that anyone do this, I'm simply sharing my experience. 

Things of note:

I used the program by CodeRush called "UEFITool v0.25.1"

I used the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs to insert NVME support into the 2.20 BIOS file from ASRock

After following the instructions from that original post, I quickly learned that the ASRock Instant Flash would deny the flash attempt with the Modded BIOS, so I searched again and found another informative post by looking up: 

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

I then scrolled down to the section for ASRock mainboards with AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS

After I completed that portion, I was able to flash the new modded bios and BAM, not only was I able to install Windows 10 WITH Secure Boot and Keys Loaded, CSM Disabled, but it loaded into it perfectly. I am even able to use ULTRA FAST BOOT with the drive. 

If you have any questions, just let me know. If you want me to walk you through what I did over Discord, just message me and I'll send a link.

Thank you very much for your help! I have reviewed the articles that you quote and it seems that it is a fairly safe and easy way to do it. However, I am going to request the asrock SAT if it can get an official update for UEFI from our motherboard.

Otherwise I will also consider using the UEFI-MOD. My biggest problem is that I need to use the Intel RAID and I also have a mini-PCIe AHCI controller with 2 SATA ports connected ASMedia. I thought it understood that the author of the article says that in these cases can cause problems.

Thank you very much for the info!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic