ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97E-ITX/ac: SSD M.2 don't boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97E-ITX/ac: SSD M.2 don't boot
    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 3:43am
Hi I have a Z97E-ITX/ac mobo.

I have installed Toshiba RC100 NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD) on M.2 socket of the mobo.
The bios does not detect the SSD. But Windows 10 installer detect the SSD without problems.
I use the latest bios 2.20.

I have installed windows 10 on the SSD but when I turn on the computer I do not see the boot option and therefore I can not start windows. Windows never gets started because the boot option does not exist inside the bios. If I pulse F11 for boot options I do not see the boot sector of SSD M.2 available.

What is happening? Is it a Toshiba SSD problem? Should I try another SSD brand?

Supposedly my motherboard and BIOS are compatible with M.2 and NVMe.
I have disconnected all normal hard drives of the SATA data ports. Right now I only have the SSD in the M.2 socket and the problem persists.

Should I apply some special configuration in the bios so that the m.2 boot option is available?

Thank you!
Windscythe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 5:00am
I'm having the exact same issue at the moment. I have a Z97e-itx/ac that I have just installed a Toshiba RC100 M.2 NVME drive into, and I cannot get it to discover the drive in bios. 

What's interesting is that when I go to install Windows 10, the Windows installer recognizes the drive and installs, but I can't boot from the m.2 drive since the Bios does not recognize it. 

Another interesting thing is that if I go to the System Browser from within the Bios, it recognizes that the m.2 slot is populated, it just doesn't recognize the actual drive. 

I am using the most current Bios for the board, which is 2.20. 

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 5:14am
I just tried to do the same operation with an external PCI-E controller and it happens to me exactly the same as if I connect it to the M.2 socket on the motherboard. It is a PCI-E x4 M.2 controller.

Windscythe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 9:47pm
Please update if you find a solution. I know that the Toshiba (OCZ) RC100 is still fairly new. Hopefully it just needs Bios update from ASRock to work. It's currently disappointing that I can't get it to work as a boot drive at the moment considering it's one of, if not the only 2242 Nvme drives available. 

On a side note, the Z97 platform does say that I should be able to get 10gb/s on the M.2 slot. It appears as though I'm only getting around 6-7gb/s and that it's not a limitation of the drive itself but of the interface on the board. Is there a setting that I'm not seeing. I did set it to Force M.2.
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:09pm
Try this: Once Windows is installed on your PCIe AHCI or NVMe SSD, the entry in the Boot order list appear as "Windows Boot Loader" or "Windows Boot Loader: <SSD name>", depending upon the UEFI version used with your board.

Dan
cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Dan Dan wrote:

Try this: Once Windows is installed on your PCIe AHCI or NVMe SSD, the entry in the Boot order list appear as "Windows Boot Loader" or "Windows Boot Loader: <SSD name>", depending upon the UEFI version used with your board.

Dan

In boot order list not appear "Windows Boot Loader" or <SSD name>. This is exactly the problem.

The UEFI / BIOS does not detect the boot partition created by the windows installer on socket M.2.

Edited by cronos - 13 Aug 2018 at 10:44pm
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:54pm
Usually when using M.2 devices something has to be disabled. The following is from the manual:   12 SATA3 and SATA Express Connectors (SATA3_4_5)
cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by RLGL RLGL wrote:

Usually when using M.2 devices something has to be disabled. The following is from the manual:   12 SATA3 and SATA Express Connectors (SATA3_4_5)

I have disconnected all hard drives from the SATA ports. The only thing that is connected to the motherboard is the m.2 SSD. I have also forced the SATA port to work as M.2 in the UEFI.

Today I tried another memory model: Transcend MTS420 240GB M.2.
In this case the memory is not even detected by the windows installer.

There are already 2 SSD memories tested without success:
Transcend MTS420 240GB,
6Gb/s - AHCI: M.2 Type 2242
Toshiba RC100, 
16 GT/s (PCIe Gen3x2L) - NVMe: M.2 Type 2242, B + M key Socket.

Edited by cronos - 13 Aug 2018 at 11:40pm
cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:10pm
specs:

- 1 x SATA Express 10 Gb/s Connector (shared with SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and M.2 Socket)*
- 1 x M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3, supports M Key M.2 SATA3 6.0Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x2 (10Gb/s)

*Support to be announced.
** The M.2 Socket, SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and SATA Express share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

BIOS/UEFI

Version 2.10 -2016/6/29 - 5.24MB
1.Update NTFS module.
2.Add ME FW version in BIOS setup.
3.Add NVMe support.

Edited by cronos - 13 Aug 2018 at 11:16pm
Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:27pm
What boot options do appear?

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic