ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X399 Gaming MB w/ New 2990WX Pauses at C0, Reboots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Gaming MB w/ New 2990WX Pauses at C0, Reboots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randomparity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Gaming MB w/ New 2990WX Pauses at C0, Reboots
    Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:30am
Just bought a new ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Gaming motherboard and the new AMD Threadripper 2990WX CPU.  Installed 4 x CORSAIR 64GB 16X4 DDR4 2666 VLPXC16 memory modules.  When I power on the system I can see the Dr. Debug POST code display cycle through several values and eventually stop at C0.  The system will stay at that code for about 15 seconds and then reboot, repeating the cycle.  I've tried disconnecting the SATA drives, reducing the memory configuration to 2 X DIMMs (A2 & B2), and tried swapping the DIMMs into different configurations, but no joy.  Since I don't see the C0 POST code documented in the Quick Install Guide/User Manual.

I do notice that there is a 4-pin 12V ATX power connector on the motherboard that I don't have connected to my power supply (motherboard designator ATX12V2 in the upper left corner of the board as shown in the Quick Install guide), but I do have power to the 8-pin ATX12V1 and the 24-pin ATXPWR1 locations.  (The power supply doesn't have an additional connector appropriate for the missing one.)   Not sure if that is related to the problem or not.  

Any suggestions for further debugging?
JayB33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayB33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:44am
Your board probably shipped with an earlier BIOS that doesn't support the new processor. Although X399 may support both gen 1 and gen 2, the BIOS also needs to recognise the latest gen for it to post. First you need to upgrade to the bridge BIOS, and then the latest BIOS using the flashback feature.

Edited by JayB33 - 15 Aug 2018 at 10:49am
jbmerrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbmerrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 12:16am
I concur, you need bios p2.10 followed by p3.20
X399 Pro Gaming, 2990wx Threadripper,128GB G.Skill RGB 3200,EVGA 1200 P2,EVGA GTX 1080 Ti x 2 SLI, Enermax Liqtech 360mm,Samsung 970 EVO/960 Pro/850 EVOs, Toshiba x300 HDDs, Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
Randomparity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randomparity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:20am
How to update BIOS to 2.10 and then 3.0 if the system won't boot?  The web page on how to update your BIOS describes two different methods to update but they both require access to the BIOS setup page.  (https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp%3Fcat=BIOS8).
jbmerrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbmerrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 1:44am
[URL=][/URL]Use the rear-I/o panel flash-back usb port with your 2.10 bios file re-named to 'creative.rom', and then with power supply on, push the flash-back button on the back panel at the very top for about 3 seconds. It should flash green for a few minutes while it is flashing the bios and then stop when complete. Try booting and if you can, then use Tools->instant flash to flash up to 3.20. If you can't boot, change the 'creative.rom' file to your 3.20 bios file, and flash-back again. Then hopefully you will be able to boot to uefi. You may be able to shortcut it by just initially doing a flash-back straight up to the 3.20 bios??

I think it also might be important to have that power connector connected as the TR uses a great deal of it and this could be a problem.

Edited by jbmerrill - 16 Aug 2018 at 3:46am
X399 Pro Gaming, 2990wx Threadripper,128GB G.Skill RGB 3200,EVGA 1200 P2,EVGA GTX 1080 Ti x 2 SLI, Enermax Liqtech 360mm,Samsung 970 EVO/960 Pro/850 EVOs, Toshiba x300 HDDs, Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 5:11am
to echo that above with the bios it at least should boot

but im quite sure its time for a decent power supply for that 32 core beast
one that has the correct *pair* of cpu/eps 4+4 cables
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
aminomancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aminomancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 7:00am
What others said is possible. However, I had this problem over and over again when I first set up my TR1950X build, and that had 2.0 preinstalled. It booted up fine at first, but when I changed memory settings in BIOS I started getting C0 boot loops. I did literally everything. In fact I literally bought a new motherboard and got AMD to replace my CPU but neither helped. Of course I also flashed every version of bios through the button on the back, cleared CMOS, tried every combination of RAM, reinstalled CPU like 10 times, unplugged every combination of devices and drives, etc. Finally I was about to give in and just buy a xeon or something but my friend, really experienced technical consultant, begged me to let him pick it up and tinker with it and at least try before I returned it all. But back at his house, it booted up fine on the first try, he didn't even open the case. I came over and we went through all the settings I originally set, since by now the CMOS was cleared, and could not reproduce the C0 boot loop issue. I thought my problem was fixed and thanked him but back at my house, I booted up and... C0 boot loop! Turns out I had only ever tried plugging it in to one outlet. And turns out that particular outlet was fucked up somehow, since when I plugged my phone in, the charging indicator would constantly turn off and on. It occurred to me I shouldn't have it directly in the wall anyway. So I plugged it and the monitor into a surge protector and plugged that into a different outlet and it has worked fine ever since. Moral of the story is sometimes the problem is right under your nose, and outside of the computer lol. But since you got the same post code maybe you are having the same issue.
aminomancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aminomancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 7:03am
I will also say that in my research back then I discovered that this code is supposedly related to problems with the memory controller, or possibly the memory or CPU itself. In my case I'm guessing neither was receiving consistent power. But it's possible your memory controller is just defective, or possibly it is a bios issue.

First I'd test the outlets. Then turn off psu and unplug it. Hold the clear CMOS button for 10-15 seconds, it's at the very bottom of the board. Then replug and turn on psu but don't boot. Then use the bios flashback feature, fat32 USB drive with the desired bios on it and named creative.rom iirc. In the correct USB port. Then, boot up and see what happens.

Edited by aminomancer - 19 Aug 2018 at 7:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic