ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x399 and the LSI 9201-16i Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerky_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

if u dont like waiting (a maybe year or two for new bios) then u can always switch to asus, those HBA cards works there fine

Problem I have there is A I'd have to sell this one since I can't return it and B no other board list my 64 GB of ram on their qvl. C I have 64 GB 16x4 that I am using since I was going to grow it to 128gb after ram came down in price but honestly kind of hosed it other boards don't list them as my ryzen build had a lot of trouble getting them to work at even close to rated speed (3200 mhz sticks b die only run at max 2800 on my prime pro x370). Really hope they honestly don't take long to update the bios. If they even see this I guess since it shouldn't be to hard to fix it other vendors easily do it..

Edited by Jerky_san - 21 Aug 2018 at 8:09am
Jerky_san View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerky_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 5:09am
New bios was released today so updated to it.. still doesn't work.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 1:24pm
CryCryCry

Sell!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 6:36pm
Odd. It's 'just' an HBA card.

OK, hmmmmm

Can you get a screenshot of the boot progress where the card is enumerated on screen?

Have you determined what BIOS and Firmware are installed on the 9201? BIOS'es usually aren't needing update. Firmware, absolutely.

New Taichi BIOS released yesterday, Aug 21. 3.30 - Beware and read the Caution concerning must be at 2.30 FIRST before flashing 3.30. Too, I'd highly suggest NOT having the 9201 installed when upflashing.

Jerky_san View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerky_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Odd. It's 'just' an HBA card.

OK, hmmmmm

Can you get a screenshot of the boot progress where the card is enumerated on screen?

Have you determined what BIOS and Firmware are installed on the 9201? BIOS'es usually aren't needing update. Firmware, absolutely.

New Taichi BIOS released yesterday, Aug 21. 3.30 - Beware and read the Caution concerning must be at 2.30 FIRST before flashing 3.30. Too, I'd highly suggest NOT having the 9201 installed when upflashing.

It originally had a bios and a firmware but many suggested on datahorder/server at home site to just do firmware so it's plug n play.

Firmware version is 20.00.07.00
Bios version WAS 7.39.02.00 <- you can not flash this and it will not load the boot rom to boot from the card.

I could reflash the bios to show a picture. Basically it goes to a page that says "initializing" with a spinning slash and just stops spinning and whole machine would freeze. I flashed the bios of the x399 taichi with just a GPU and ram installed.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 10:34pm
Hmm, could it be CSM?

Can you try booting up with and without CSM?I don't know the X399 UEFI layout, though. You'll have to navigate to it yourself.
Jerky_san View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerky_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

Hmm, could it be CSM?

Can you try booting up with and without CSM?I don't know the X399 UEFI layout, though. You'll have to navigate to it yourself.

When I flashed just the firmware it bypasses all the bios optrom crap but it's basically masking the problem. Basically if you bypass the card from accessing the disks at boot and let it get to the OS. Once the OS accesses the disk and attempts to read/write anything the card goes offline.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Jerky_san Jerky_san wrote:

Hmm, could it be CSM?

When I flashed just the firmware it bypasses all the bios optrom crap but it's basically masking the problem. Basically if you bypass the card from accessing the disks at boot and let it get to the OS. Once the OS accesses the disk and attempts to read/write anything the card goes offline.

Well, if that is the case, I'm afraid you'll need a radical solution, i.e. miracle (or mobo swap). Ouch
Jerky_san View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerky_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:03am

Originally posted by Jerky_san Jerky_san wrote:

Hmm, could it be CSM?

Well, if that is the case, I'm afraid you'll need a radical solution, i.e. miracle (or mobo swap). Ouch

That or "hopefully" they respond to my tech support request with a tweak on the bios. It has to be something kind of simple since other x399 boards do it properly and so does my two xeons, old i5, and ryzen 7 board. I'm guessing its something simple. Maybe even a simple bios setting but the problem is I've tried the ones that I know what they do. There are others that I don't but they don't have any actual documentation either for them. It literally just repeats what it says on the screen in the manual which isn't helpful at all.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 2:09am
I believe you've see this already: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/boot-issue-with-lsi-9201-16i.21255/

You maybe have participated in this discussion, even. There is very valuable info! Give it a try if you haven't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic