ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Pro3, Pro4 PCIE2 port doesn't work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 1:52pm
Welcome to the forums Smile

A quick google search shows that your combination of hardware has worked for other people (r9 280x + Z77 pro4) so we are not likely looking at a situation where there is a bios support issue.

When I searched Z77 GPU not detected in google I found a large number of people that have experienced this same problem with that chipset, it is not restricted to Asrock or the Z77 pro4 either. In many cases the problem was resolved by clearing the CMOS, I would suggest unplugging the PC power cord, hold down the power button for 10secs to discharge all residual power from the system and remove the CMOS battery for 5 mins. This method tends to be more thorough than the clear jumper in some situations.

If that does not help then try the GPU in the PCIEx4 slot and see if it recognizes the card. Also be sure that the GPU is getting enough power by using separate power rails from your PSU for each of the GPU's 6 and 8 pin power connectors. You could set your PCIE slot to gen 2 in the bios as well and see if that helps. The 570 is a gen 2 card and it functioned in the slot so that may help.

Your power supply is a decent one so unless its old and wearing out I doubt that could be the problem. 

Set your PCIE slot to gen 2 in the bios as well and see if that helps. 
GYUUHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYUUHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 1:52pm
Finally stopped being lazy and moved the 280x into the pcie slot 3 and got the same results (no signal). Also connected my old gtx750 into both pcie slots and it worked in both..

Perhaps its just a bad card. But I've also read a lot of similar cases with z77 motherboards

wish i had a newer system to try this on.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 1:56pm
The GTX 750 is a gen 3 card so that rules out Gen 3 being the problem. A look at the MSI R9 280x you listed reveled numerous failures (typically cooling fans) but not much on the DOA front. As you have tried 2 other cards in the slot and both worked without issue I would lean more toward the 280x being bad. Its a pity you can't try the 280x in another system to be sure. 

You can still try the steps I listed and see if anything helps though.
GYUUHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYUUHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 2:07pm
haha crazy. posts within 5 seconds of each other..

Things I've tried:

-display driver uninstaller to get rid of all the old nvidia drivers

-tried clearing cmos both ways (jumper and removing battery/pressing power button. This did not work.

-with the card in the PCIE2 slot, I've tried gen 1, gen 2 and gen 3. Card was still not recognized

Things I will try:

-gen 1, 2 and 3 with the card in the PCIE3 slot.

-I'll have to look up what you mean by separate power rails. I have two separate connectors (6pin and 8pin) coming from the PSU going to the GPU. Does it matter where they are connected to on the PSU side?
GYUUHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYUUHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 2:09pm
My apologies. i meant that my old card is a GTX 570, which is gen 2 i think
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 2:19pm
The power cord that goes to the GPU 6 and 8 pin connectors. You should connect 2 of them to your power supply and have one connect to the 6 pin and a separate one to the 8 pin. I imagine you have a single power cable connected to the power supply that is connected to both 6 and 8 pin connectors, this is the normal way of doing it, it isn't incorrect but for fault finding we want 2 separate power cables supplying the card. Basically each power cable should only be providing power to one of the card's power connectors. It should help determine if the card is getting enough power.

And yes the 570 is gen 2 Wink

I also have to ask, is the R9 280x new or second hand?

Edited by Xaltar - 21 Jun 2015 at 2:21pm
GYUUHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYUUHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 2:37pm
Oh I do have 2 connected to the power supply which are connected separately to the 6pin and the 8pin. I didn't even know it was possible to connect the 6pin and the 8pin to the PSU using only one power cord?

the 280x is second hand. but i believe it is still under some kind of warranty based on the serial# sticker
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 2:42pm
Do you have any way to test the card on another PC, a friend or coworker that may be kind enough to let you try it out? I am sorry to say but given the card is second hand I would have to lean toward it being the problem.

If you enable the iGPU in bios (by setting "share memory" to anything other than auto under chipset config) and boot into windows on that with the 280x connected does windows detect the card at all? 

When you power on the system do the GPU fans spin up at all?
That particular model was infamous for the fans leaking a lubricant fluid that many users claim damaged their card (I can't be sure based on a few comments however). Check to see if the card has any oily residue anywhere. It may be someone sold you a card that was damaged.
GYUUHH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYUUHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 2:55pm
Unfortunately I do not have another PC with an adequate PSU to test this on.

The card itself has no oily residue whatsoever and appears relatively dust free. The stickers (serial# and "void if removed") are intact. The card looks almost new. If im reading the serial# correctly, i think it was made on july 2014.

The GPU fans spin up when the PC is powered on.

With what I've tried so far, the 280x is not detected in BIOS or in the device manager.

I have not tried anything with the "share memory." I'll add that to the list of things to try in the morning.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 3:07pm
If you have already booted into windows and seen it is not detected then there is no need to use the share memory setting. That is not good news, it means the board did not pick up the card at all and booted from the iGPU even with the 280x installed. The iGPU should be disabled by default when a dedicated GPU is connected and the monitor cable attached to it. That means the card is not communicating with the motherboard at all.

Given that the card is second hand the last thing I can suggest is to carefully check the contacts on the card's PCIE connector for any damage or dirt and clean them off with some isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic