ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Pro3, Pro4 PCIE2 port doesn't work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Pro3, Pro4 PCIE2 port doesn't work
    Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:58pm
Dear Asrock,

I have a very strange problem. My specs are the following:
- Z77 Pro 4 (Pro 3 before)
- I7 2600K CPU
- 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance
- SSD Kingston 240 GB, HDD WD 500
- Sapphire Toxic R9 270x

For some reason my PCIE2 port (3.0 16x) does not work. I tested it with the VGA above and also with 2 other VGA (460 GTX - PCIE 2.0, x1600XT - PCIE 1.0) I know that my CPU is a GEN2 which does not support 3.0 but the 3.0 port shoud have run at 2.0 16X. My other port works fine, (PCIE 2.0 4X) but the bandwith is limited to 4X, which bottleneck the 270X VGA... neither I can use crossfire...

I have just received my new motherboard Z77 Pro4, because I sent back the PRO3 which was considered as non-repairable, I got my money back after I purchased the PRO4 but the problem is the same!!

I tried the following to fix:
- Updated BIOS to the freshest  (in case of PRO3 - 2.2 PRO4 - 1.8)
- Cleared the connector of VGA (I tried with 3 different VGAs)
- Tried GEN1 GEN2 GEN3 in bios.
- Checked the PINs in case of both MB (Pro4 is brand new...)

Is this an already known incompatibility maybe between the processor and MB? If so is there any chance to get a Firmware update?

Thanks in advance,

Mate
Bigmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 5:35pm
Hello there,

Is anyone working on my issue? Do you need more details maybe? I am planning to return the MB to the seller but to be honest I am getting tired of the whole thing, probably I am not going to buy another Asrock product. All of my hardware are branded items there shouldn't be any incompatibility issue... Any suggestion that can work? 

P. S.: I forgot to list my PSU below it is an FSP HEXA 500W
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 1:31pm
There is no compatibility issue with the Z77 Pro4 board and an i7-2600K, all BIOS versions are compatible with the processor.

Having the same problem with two different boards, and even different models, does not seem like a problem with the board.

The following is from the Z77 Pro4's manual:

Boot your system. Press <F2> or <Del> to enter UEFI setup. Enter Share Memory option to adjust the memory capability to [32MB], [64MB], [128MB], [256MB] or [512MB] to enable the function of D-sub. Please make sure that the value you select is less than the total capability of the system memory. If you do not adjust the UEFI setup, the default value of Share Memory, [Auto], will disable D-Sub function when an add-on VGA card is inserted to this motherboard.

When you install your video cards, do you then clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC?

You did not mention setting Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI Express in the BIOS, rather than Onboard. Do you have a cable connected to the onboard graphics on the IO panel?

Did you try the Auto setting for the PCIE_2 slot's speed?

If you use the onboard graphics to start Windows, and also have a video card in the PCIE_2 slot, is the video card seen in Device Manager?
Bigmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 1:49am
Hi Parsec,

First of all thank you for your reply and suggestions provided below. The fact is everything is the same, even after I changed the share memory option to whatever mb from auto. (After a cmos reset). If you have anything else that can work, I can test it but I am afraid I need to visit a service point because I am lack of hardware for testing. By the way this whole thing seems very unlogical for me. If the card is working in the slower port why it can't do the same in the other?

"Enter Share Memory option..." - This is what I just tried now, but the result is the same unfortunately. When I put the card to the other PCI-e slot, the system immediately recognize it and it is also shown in system browser (UEFI setup). No matter which settings I using, the card in the PCI-e 3.0 slot will remain invisible in system browser. (The card is acting the same in each port from outside it seems like working, lights, fans on.)

"When you install your video cards, do you then clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC?" - Of course, I did it.

You did not mention setting Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI Express in the BIOS, rather than Onboard. Do you have a cable connected to the onboard graphics on the IO panel? - PCI express is actually the default setting, but of course I checked it every time. I even tried to switch between the settings, but nothing. In order to check the card in system browser, after I didn't get picture I used the on board graphic's port in order to check 

Did you try the Auto setting for the PCIE_2 slot's speed? - This is the default so I tried it of course and every other settings as well.

If you use the onboard graphics to start Windows, and also have a video card in the PCIE_2 slot, is the video card seen in Device Manager? No, it is not neither in system browser.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 2:40pm
Firstly, why are you trying to use PCIE slot 3 rather than slot 2? Are you planning on setting up crossfire or is it a space issue inside your case. I wouldn't recommend using slot 3 as it is only a x4 slot so you will be bottlenecking any half decent GPU in x4 mode. 

It may well be a case that the slot is only active when you have another graphics card populating slot 2. The manual does not say anything about the matter however, in fact I see no reason to believe it would not work according to the manual. 

Quote PCIE3 (PCIE 2.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x4 lane width graphics cards, or to install PCI Express graphics cards to support CrossFireXTM, and for installing ASRock Game Blaster.

My guess would be that it is not getting power without slot 2 populated.
Bigmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:43pm
What you have written down is true, but I am afraid you misunderstood the problem here.
"Firstly, why are you trying to use PCIE slot 3 rather than slot 2?" Because I have to as other port PCI-E_2 is not working as per I described previously.
Just to clarify:
PCIE_2 port: PCIE 3.0 16X speed Not working :(
PCIE_3 port: PCIE 2.0 4X speed (Working but as you mentioned below, it bottlenecking the GPU)

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:40pm
Ah I see, my bad I should have read the post properly. 

What GPU are you using in the system? I would imagine you have likely tried every combination of BIOS options with the GPU in slot 2. Have you checked the connector on the card itself? It could be possible that there is some kind of short or worn away contact there. PCIE x1, x4, x8 and x16 cards all use respectively more pins as you graduate upwards so if there is damage to your cards pins after where x4 slots terminate that may explain why it will not work in the x16 slot. I do not imagine that the PCIE slot 3 has all the connections past x4 connected on the board. I hope this makes sense, if not I will try and explain better :)

My only other advice would be to either borrow another GPU to test or take your PC in to a service center as you mentioned and have them do it.
Bigmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 11:57pm
It makes sense, there are 4 times less pins on the MB in case of slot 4x speed. The problem is the same issue occured when I tried it with two other GPUs. The current GPU is a Toxic R9 270X. Before I look for a service center I give it a last shot and I try to clean the pins on GPU.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:03am
Good luck, let us know how it turns out Wink
Bigmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:00pm
Unfortunately, the cleaning wasn't helped... I called the local dealers, service centers and because this is an older construction, LGA 1155, neither of them have the spare parts to fully investigate my issue, if i am not going to buy the spare part they won't unbox then to test my config. One of them have a processor but this one doesn't have 1155 Mobo. I think it is not make sense to do a partial test, that's why I decided to send back this mainboard as well to Asrock as my previous board has the same issue and Asrock considered it as "non repairable" and I got my money back after the MOBO was sent back by the Reseller.

Here comes the suprise... When I tried to remove the card for 20x times as I tested a lot with different VGAs I broke that little plasctic seal which fix the card into the port, I am very unlucky.

My question would be to ASROCK support, Does this void my warranty?? That seal is not so strong constuction, even a little pushing can broke it and it does not take any affect on the operation of the MOBO.Ouch In the meantime I am still trying to find a store which is near and they have the spare part to do the testing for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic