ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock E3C226D2I nic not found/gone bad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock E3C226D2I nic not found/gone bad
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:07am
I had a ASRock itx board in a small itx case that I use as a home vmware host.  The motherboard is a E3C226D2I.  One day the machine crashed and I rebooted it. After the reboot one of the onboard nics now lights up the yellow light all the time its plugged into power.  It lights up when a cable is plugged in or not.  Also I have tried both vmware and linux booted on it and nether can see that port.  The box is on a battery backup and none of the other equipment on the battery backup is showing any issues.  It just died one day during a crash I guess.  The board is only like 6 months.  I would have thought a board of this caliber (being a small server board) would have lasted longer than this.  Any ideas?

Wayne  
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:47pm
There are numerous factors that can shorten the lifespan of a NIC, most commonly a bad connection. If the cable connected to it has an intermittent short or bad contact it can cause voltage irregularities that will eventually cause the NIC to fail. Other culprits are, power surge via the LAN cable such as lightning or excessive power into a router/switch which can feed into the LAN cables. Both of the above situations could cause a system crash though a surge is more likely to cause the symptom you described. These are the external factors that can cause an NIC to fail.

Internal failure risks come from the usual culprits. A bad power supply can provide too much or too little power to the NIC and cause failure. Poor contact in the NIC port itself can cause the same issue I mentioned above with bad cables. Far more rarely it can be caused by poor design and power delivery on the board itself though this is very rarely the case and in most cases this kind of failure only happens after a year or more of use. 

How long is the warranty on your board? In most cases the warranty is at least a year so if that is true for your system I would RMA it and get a replacement/repair. The advantage of your particular situation is that it is rarely blamed on the end user Wink If the problem was caused by a surge then the NIC may be repairable as most newer boards have a fuse for each of the NICs to protect the rest of the system in the advent of a surge.

Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic