ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z97 Ext6 not botting with non-raid card installed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Ext6 not botting with non-raid card installed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Ext6 not botting with non-raid card installed
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:54pm
Hi all.

A friend of mine recently bought the Extreme6 motherboard and he's having a few issues, which is where I got dragged in to help.

System Spec:
CPU: i7-4770k
Memory: Vengeance Pro Series Silver 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Dual Channel
Graphics: On-baord, whilst the system is round mine / R9 280x
Storage: Samsung sm951 m.2 / Samsung PM800 128GB SSD
Expansion Cards: HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL (non RAID version)
Boot devices: PM800 128GB SSD / M.2 sm951

So issue one was: (now resolved)
I was unable to install Windows 7 pro 64-bit to the M.2 SSD. After some google searches I found I need Windows 8 / 8.1 in order to do this, so unless he upgraded Windows, he will have to be happy with running it on the PM800 SSD.

Issue two: (Ongoing)
I installed windows on the PM800 SSD I got this to boot into windows, without any expansion cards (HighPoint and M.2) inserted. I then installed all the drivers in Windows and was happy with the build, so I powered the system down to insert the different cards.
After inserting the HighPoint non-RAID card the system fails to boot now.

The system goes through the BIOS checks, then the HighPoint disk checks, but then the screen goes blank and the cursor flashes in the top left hand corner.

After leaving this for a few minutes, just in-case the system was booting I pressed "num-lock" on the keyboard and it seemed to crash. After powering down I went into the BIOS to check the boot priority.
Boot Option / Priority is set to the PM800
Boot type is set to SSD, and not Hard Disk Drive
I have disabled the boot option for the HighPoint card
I then saved settings and began to boot the system and I got the same issue.

I have also tried the other PCIE slot, closest to where his graphics card would go, but I still get the same issue.
I then inserted my graphics card and remove the HighPoint card to check there was no issues with the PCIE slots. This booted without any issues and then I tried one more timing booting it with my G-Card in and the non-RAID card - still get the same issue.
I've been browsing the web, but there's no real guide on this motherboard and using non-raid / raid cards and the guides on the bios just show the tutorial speeded up a little and this doesn't really explain an awful lot either.

I will be updating this post later on tonight, with pictures of the bios settings in the hope that someone else has had this issue and can point me in the right direction.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 1:06am
Is the M.2 SSD still being used in that PC? If so, when the M.2 slot is in use the PCIE slots change their lane assignment:

If M2_1 slot is occupied, PCIE2 slot will run at x8 mode, and PCIE4 slot will run at x4 mode.

Since the card is an x8 card, I'm just saying to be sure the PCIe slot you use will have x8 lanes available.

In order to be able to boot from this card, you will need to install the card's Option ROM, which may be referred to as its BIOS. I read there is a download for that for installation.

You may need to run the card in RAID mode in order to configure it so it will be bootable. I read users needed to configure a few things like disabling boot option "INT13", which in an interrupt.

To configure it you first boot the PC with no drives attached to the card. Then install the Option ROM to the card and restart. Then try connecting drives to the card.

Is the card recognized with the UEFI tool System Browser?
talux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 1:25am
Hi Parsec,

The m.2 card is still in that system and I read about it changing the PCIE lane assignments.
The NON-RAID  and RAID cards I'm installing into the system are:
(My Friends) http://www.scan.co.uk/products/highpoint-rocket-2720sgl-internal-8x-sata-sas-6gb-s-hbas-pci-e
(Mine) http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8-port-highpoint-rocketraid-2720sgl(rr2720)-internal-pci-e-20-x8-to-sas-sata-iii-raid-controller-oem
I just installed mine, just in-case there was an issue with his

I'm not actually trying to boot from the either of these HighPoint cards. Ideally my friend wants to boot from an M.2, when he buys one. As the system is round my house, I'm just testing mine in his motherboard so he has peace of mind when he buys the SSD in the future. I also know to boot from the sm951 he will need Windows 8 or higher.

These cards work fine in my Film server, which is an ASROCK AMD board, and the primary boot device is an SSD. The card has 5 drives connected to it in a RAID 5 array.
This is what I'm trying to achieve from this intel build whilst it is round mine.

Yes the card is recognised in the UEFI tool system browser and I'll upload some pictures of this when I'm in the BIOS or UEFI.
I'll also look at running this card in RAID mode as you say, so thanks again for the response.
talux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 4:41am
Here's the images I said I would take.

http://imgur.com/a/KWL24

I've even tried placing the samsung PM800 SSD on the RAID card and then setting the boot option on the card to that SSD, but it still doesnt boot. I get the same black screen with the flashing cursor in the top left hand corner. It doesn't matter if the card is in PCIE4 or 5.

The only way I get the system to boot is by removing the highpoint card.
talux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 8:41pm
As another test tonight, I'll be putting the RAID card in the G-Card slot and run integrated graphics.
I'm also going to update the BIOS on my card, since my friend has taken his card back home and  since we both bought the cards we haven't had any issues, then we haven't updated the firmware / bios.

Good old saying.... "If it aint broke, don't fix it.....Smile

Edited by talux - 08 Oct 2015 at 8:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic