ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Build Having issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotth1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Build Having issues
    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:20pm
I'm trying to build a computer. When I installed the CPU, Memory and Video card I found out you can test the build outside the case.

My CPU fan works but after original boot the fans on the Video card stop spinning. I removed the memory and got them both to spin but the video card is still not showing any BIOS information. I've used the HDMI and Display Port outputs. I'm new to building computers and I'm not sure what to do next to troubleshoot.

My Build Parts:

ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard
MD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:29pm
Welcome to the forums Big smile

The fans on the GPU not spinning after the initial power on is normal, the fans go into "silent" mode once initialized and will only come on once the GPU temp reaches whatever temp the manufacturer sets for them to come on. 

I am not exactly sure what it is you are asking here, are you not getting any display on the monitor or were you just concerned about the GPU fans stopping? What BIOS information are you looking for? If the system is going into the BIOS then your GPU is detecting and functioning correctly or you wouldn't have any display.
scotth1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotth1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:22pm
Kinda both the GPU fans acting differently with and without memory and the monitor not showing any information.

I was following a build video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsT-i7L5tc&t=981s

I'm at 15:12 into the video where he tests the GPU before putting it in the box. I am not getting the BIOS to display and when I install the memory I got, the GPU fans don't spin up and down, they just stop.

They act differently when the memory is removed spinning up and down as I expected.

Is the memory compatible with the motherboard? Would resetting the CMOS do anything in this situation?
Jim-e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim-e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:53am
Originally posted by scotth1963 scotth1963 wrote:

the GPU fans don't spin up and down, they just stop.
That's normal, the fans don't spin unless they have to.

Watch the video you posted:  https://youtu.be/YYsT-i7L5tc?t=15m43s
You can see in the reflection the fans spinning but once he gets to the UEFI they stop.
Normally the GPU fans will not spin even in windows unless something intensive is on the screen.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 3:31am
Make sure all the components are installed and properly seated. RAM sometimes looks like it is inserted correctly but actually isn't all the way in, you can look at it from the side and make sure it is seated evenly. 

If you still get no display try a different display cable to your monitor, sometimes HDMI can be fussy with cables.

By the sound of it, the GPU is initializing (the fans spin back down after a few moments, this is good). I suspect your display cable may be incompatible hence no display showing on the monitor. As I said above, try a different cable, preferably DVI or Display Port to check if that was your problem. If you still have no display after all that, post back here and we can check a few more things. First builds can be nerve wracking but you will get it worked out Wink
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:21am
A loooong nice CMOS reset can do wonders too.

Congrats for taking the leap and building it yourself, though! Many ppl think it's scary but it really isn't. I'm sorry that you had to experience ASRock in your first build. LOL They are giving me, a veteran in builing and demolishing PC, a great deal of pain, so I can imagine what it feels like for a novice user.

If you read the manuals and put the stuff in their respective places all should be good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotth1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 7:47pm
Thanks for all the responses!
I did have a computer that is working, and I tried the cable and monitor on that, so that tests out.

I will check to make sure the memory is seated properly.

I will check out that video but since the fans work differently when memory is introduced, I thought that to be a bit weird.

I will check out the manual. From what I've seen so far the video I was following was pretty close to the steps in there.

I will give a loooong CMOS reboot, and from what I've read, removing the battery as well can't hurt.

Finally, thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been a coder for many years (longer than I care to admit) and I'm used to things not going right on the first pull. But I could always scrap a project and start over without incurring any cost, this hardware is a different animal. I guess I'm a bit gun shy when it comes to this side of the development effort.

xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 2:39am

Thanks for all the responses!
I did have a computer that is working, and I tried the cable and monitor on that, so that tests out.

I will check to make sure the memory is seated properly.

I will check out that video but since the fans work differently when memory is introduced, I thought that to be a bit weird.

I will check out the manual. From what I've seen so far the video I was following was pretty close to the steps in there.

I will give a loooong CMOS reboot, and from what I've read, removing the battery as well can't hurt.

Attaboy! Tongue After you check all the cabling and component seating you could try and pull your mobo and stuff out of the case. Try running it all outside (care to use an electrically insulating surface) the case. Maybe just the essentials, CPU, 1 stick of RAM and a GPU.

Finally, thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been a coder for many years (longer than I care to admit) and I'm used to things not going right on the first pull. But I could always scrap a project and start over without incurring any cost, this hardware is a different animal. I guess I'm a bit gun shy when it comes to this side of the development effort.

Judging from your nickname you're a coder since the '70s or the `80s. Nothing wrong with that.

I've always been curios how come people just choose the software side only? In order to advance in coding/programming you NEED to know how computers interpret and run your code, down to the last 1 and 0.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotth1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 7:15pm
I would agree with you that some hardware you may need to know, but mostly the applications I've worked on were for computers...embedded systems is a whole different animal, I've gotten a taste of that recently which sort of pushed me to do a build. Hardware is a necessary beast to conquer.

Now with memory doled out in the gigabytes and CPU's over cored, over clocked and under worked, I've seen a lot of coders getting sloppier with memory management, but that's a story for another time.

****UPDATE******
I reseated the memory and went to reset the CMOS, I found that the CMOS jumpers were set to reset THE WHOLE TIME!

Went through the reset CMOS process (including removing the battery) and the BIOS screen came up nice a pretty

The GPU fans work differently with and without memory, and I find that a bit weird but to see that screen show up and see the memory being read was phenominal!

I'm having my son help me with this build and the next time we'll be able to continue will be on Friday, but it will feel so good to be able to continue!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement and that's one thing I'll put as a lesson learned!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 3:27am
That is great news, enjoy the new build Wink

As for the GPU, the behavior is exactly what it should be, with no memory the GPU does not initialize and so it's fan speed profiles can't load. It is meant to spin up and down dependent on operating temperatures, if it isn't then something is wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic