ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primary hard disk shows up as removable device

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lpcools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primary hard disk shows up as removable device
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:40pm
Hi,

I have Asrock Z77 Pro4

I clean installed Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit. Now my primary hard disk (which is the only connected hard disk, btw) is shown as removable device. I have installed all the drivers listed in the "Windows 10 64-bit" driver support section of my motherboard.

It had also happened on Windows 8.1 64-Bit. But when I installed all the drivers, it wasn't a removable disk anymore.

How do I fix it?
centaur555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centaur555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 2:34am
Look in UEFI if you have enable hot swapping by accident.
paralipsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paralipsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 4:18pm
Which SATA port do you have your drive connected to?

The SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 ports at the bottom of the Z77Pro4 motherboard are handled by the Intel chipset, whereas the SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 ports that are in the middle of the board (between the 24-pin power, the RAM slots, and the USB 3.0 front panel header) are managed by the ASM1061 controller.

I'm currently having troubles with the ASM1061 ports reporting as hot swappable in Windows 10 on my motherboard, but I am using a different chipset. But I would speculate if you are already using the Z77 chipset ports, moving the drive to the _A1 or _A2 slot is unlikely to help you, though it still might. If you are using one of the ASM1061 controlled ports, moving the drive to SATA3_0 or SATA3_1 will potentially solve your issue.

If you have a spinning platter hard drive then you could also try the SATA2 ports on your motherboard without any appreciable degradation in performance to see if they solve the issue. If you have an SSD though I recommend against using these ports as you will almost certainly see a loss in maximum transfer speeds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic