ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build POST 5 beeps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build POST 5 beeps
    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 9:19pm
Hi All,
Just built a new machine for my son and we are stuck at POST, getting 5 beeps (i'd say long beeps),

All brand new parts, spec is as follows -

AB350 Pro4/A/ASRK mobo, S/N 7CM0XB238117 BIOS v. P3.30
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU + stock cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Masterlite v2 400W PSU

drives we had from a previous machine, but are not currently connected.

I have the RAM in slots A2/B2 according to the manual, but have also tried just one stick in A2.
CMOS has been cleared.
CPU and case fans all run as expected.

Reading about the POST beeps seems to suggest a CPU error, and I had read of these mobos being supplied with BIOS firmware that doesnt support the Ryzen 5 1600, but that doesnt seem to be the case for P3.30?

At a real loss at the moment. No other CPU etc to try im afraid, as I say this is a complete new build and far in advance of the spec of his old all-in-one machine it is intended to replace.

Suggestions please?

Edited by MartinB - 30 Sep 2018 at 5:50am
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 2:19am
I don't see a GPU in your specs.

It's a common mistake people make when assuming Ryzen 5 1600 has a built-in GPU (aka iGPU).

With this CPU you do NEED a dedicated GPU.

Otherwise, your BIOS version should be compatible with the CPU.
Animalm4st3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animalm4st3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 2:35am
5 short beeps CPU error
Remove the CPU check for bend pins, if none are found reseat the CPU in properly and try again
MartinB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 4:17am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

I don't see a GPU in your specs.

It's a common mistake people make when assuming Ryzen 5 1600 has a built-in GPU (aka iGPU).

With this CPU you do NEED a dedicated GPU.

Otherwise, your BIOS version should be compatible with the CPU.

This is the conclusion we've come to after a lot of studying of manuals and spec sheets!

Unfortunately, despite having been a radio communications and broadcast transmission engineer for the past 25years, working down to component level repair, its been a long time since i last built a PC (last was a Pentium II), so im not fully up on the current tech, and misread the mobo blurb where it says onboard graphics with A-series APU! I'd never even heard of an APU until today (to me an APU is part of an aircraft!), and had no idea there was an AMD A-series of processors!

Although the ASRock spec for this mobo says 5 beeps is a CPU error, the beep info for the UEFI chip says 5 beeps is missing VGA. Both make sense - if the BIOS expects a GPU and one isnt found installed, nor a suitable CPU with one, then I could see it returning a CPU error!

Although I cant be 100% certain that its not a fault, ive installed enough ICs of every type over the years to be fairly confident that all the pins are good, especially in light of the above revelation.

I'll borrow a couple of graphics cards out of our system spares at work and see if we get further! If that sorts it, then I suppose i'll just have to order a card

I'll report back

Edited by MartinB - 30 Sep 2018 at 5:52am
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 6:40am
Welcome to the club! LOL

Don't sweat about it. As I said, many people are facing the same doom these days.

Am I a fan of AMD since their K6 series, and I'm also a hobbyist flyer, so no surprise on the APU there either. Smile AMD actually coined the term 'APU' when it comes down to a CPU and a GPU on the same chip. Did you know that AMD are supplying most of the critical chips for aircrafts (civil ones at least)?

After you get your new PC up and running I suggest you look around this forum and see which BIOS version is best suited for your needs. With ASRock it's not always wise to use the latest one. For example - most stable one for my mobo is an older beta version...
papollonio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papollonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 9:15am
This thread actually addresses the issue I joined the forum to find out about.  Considering it took me only five minutes to find this, I suppose for me that is a record.  Talk about dumb luck!  I too noticed that the Mobo I was planning on buying boasts the built in graphics and just under an hour ago visiting the AMD site, found that the general specs for their CPUs are now noting whether or not the CPU requires a dedicated Graphics card.  Well, I guess this thread answered that question.  Here is a link to the AMD Ryzen page specifying which CPUs won't work without the graphics card.  https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-5 ;   :) 
The biggest problem in communication is the mistaken notion it has occurred.
MartinB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by papollonio papollonio wrote:

This thread actually addresses the issue I joined the forum to find out about.   :) 

Well, if its saved you from making a poor purchase, then at least some good has come from my mistake! Smile

I suppose then the question for you is whether to go with a processor with the integrated GPU, a mobo with an on-board GPU chip, or a dedicated graphics card. I guess on-board graphics are always a poor relation, with their shared RAM etc, to the dedicated cards. All depends I suppose on your display requirements.

Well, ive scrounged up a pair of PCIe 'industrial' grade cards to test with, one a DMS-59 dual output 128MB job Ouch the other a dual DVI+HDMI 1GB. If the machine works with one of these in, then ive got my eye on a 2GB ASUS-GeForce-GT710-SL-2GD5 for a good price, but with a 14day lead time!

I just need to stay awake long enough this morning to try it! (its 06:10 here in the UK and im just finishing a night shift!)
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 6:57pm
Hello again, Guys!

I'd like to clarify a few things here, in a lame attempt to be useful.

1. No consumer mobo for PC has a built-in GPU. One will either need a dGPU or a CPU w/ integrated graphics. Mobo stickers climing otherwise is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

2. That 710 ASUS GPU MartinB is targeting is really poor choice IMHO. No real gaming is possible on it; no decent HW decoding support for modern 4K video standards. One can use is mainly to drive a monitor.

3. MartinB, if possible swap the Ryzen with another one with iGPU inside. Do the math and if you can finish at the same £££, do yourself (and your son) a favor and get a 2nd Gen Ryzen with iGPU. It's gonna be way more powerful than the 710. You also save from a separate nvidia drivers installation. Take care to update BIOS in advance if you choose this option!

MartinB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 5:40am
As expected, all works fine now theres a graphics card installed.

Also found my old POST test card! Not much use though, being ISA... Tongue

The new card is on order already. 

Cheers for the help
papollonio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papollonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

Hello again, Guys!

I'd like to clarify a few things here, in a lame attempt to be useful.

1. No consumer mobo for PC has a built-in GPU. One will either need a dGPU or a CPU w/ integrated graphics. Mobo stickers climing otherwise is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

A search on Newegg.com gets at least 30 hits for "motherboard with GPU" and selecting "Embeded solution" to further finese the search.  Maybe they are lying to us about the GPU, but in my experience Newegg is about the least problematic of all the places I shop on line for PC parts.  I've used a Jetway board when I lived in Russia back in 2003 which had it's own GPU if memory serves, so I do think it is an option. 

I've got a few months to decide which Mobo to get for the build.  IDK Martin if you stopped me from making any errors or not.  I'm picking the CPU first, and the memory second and the MoBo will accommodate them first, expansion cards and drives second, and for sure I am sticking with Asrock because the tech people actually do PICK UP THE %^$#@ phone when you need help!! (Like people are supposed to do!)  LOL.  

The build is for my son who is 32, so I think he could care less about gaming.  It's been a learning experience so far to be sure.  Here is your link Xhue >> https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007623&IsNodeId=1&Description=motherboard%20and%20GPU%20combo&name=Embedded%20Solutions&isdeptsrh=1  

If those Mobos don't have a GPU then I get to harass Newegg with an email and complain about their search engine (again).   Let me know please, thanks in advance.  :) 
The biggest problem in communication is the mistaken notion it has occurred.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic