ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking X370 UEFI issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tracking X370 UEFI issues
    Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 10:08am
Just to open a definitive thread about it, since others seem to focus on issues with specific release versions.

I'm so far waiting for the fix that's affecting both 4.80 and 4.81. When enabling virtualization in UEFI, it doesn't have any effect in the host OS (Debian testing Linux for me) and Qemu/KVM can't detect virtualization availability.

With 4.64 there is no such issue.

Edited by shmerl - 09 Oct 2018 at 10:08am
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 2:16am
I stopped caring anymore. Since I'm way beyond RMA I ordered a new X470 from ASUS. As soon as it arrives I'm dumping this PoS on fleabay.

ASRock stopped caring about their customers the second they took your money form the purchase. I say give them NO more money. We can talk again in 5-10 years.
basedmeezus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basedmeezus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 2:35am
For anyone else, this is due to agesa pinnacle_pi 1.0.0.4. Bios/uefi advertises that it supports secured encrypted virtualization but does not answer kernel calls requesting if the hardware supports it.

As for op, if you update your kernel to latest stable build, it should fix ur kvm issue. Also update kvm and qemu.

EDIT: there's some incorrect info here for anyone else reading this, I'll fix up all my mistakes once i get home. but overall, updating to kernel 4.18.13 + should resolve any issue

Edited by basedmeezus - 13 Oct 2018 at 5:55am
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 3:17am
Originally posted by basedmeezus basedmeezus wrote:

For anyone else, this is due to agesa pinnacle_pi 1.0.0.4. Bios/uefi advertises that it supports secured encrypted virtualization but does not answer kernel calls requesting if the hardware supports it.

As for op, if you update your kernel to latest stable build, it should fix ur kvm issue. Also update kvm and qemu.

Interesting, thanks for the info! So newest kernel works around this problem? I'm now on 4.19.0-rc7, due to 4.18 having a ton of problems with AMD Vega and DisplayPort. Debian testing is shipping Qemu 2.12. Newer one (3.0) wasn't packaged yet. Should 2.12 work with it?

Edited by shmerl - 13 Oct 2018 at 3:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basedmeezus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:14am
I'm on mobile at the moment and can't really check. What version of Debian are you running?

EDIT: QEMU 3.0.0 can be built from source from here: https://www.qemu.org/download/#source

EDIT2: Not sure if your UEFI will have this option, but try disabling PSP. I'm currently at work, but once I get home, I can tell you where it resides in my B450 Fatal1ty gaming k4

Edited by basedmeezus - 13 Oct 2018 at 4:26am
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:28am
Debian testing. I haven't tried the UEFI update recently, but I'll give it a try with the recent 4.19 kernel.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:29am
Originally posted by basedmeezus basedmeezus wrote:

Bios/uefi advertises that it supports secured encrypted virtualization but does not answer kernel calls requesting if the hardware supports it.

Does it mean it's still a bug in UEFI?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basedmeezus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:49am
Yes, I'm already in touch with Asrock support to hopefully upgrade Bios to fix this, but it seem's like the person replying back to me is a bot :/ (pablo medina). I've asked them to escalate the issue to the dev team if possible.

I haven't used debian in a while, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the reason why you weren't able use kvm was maybe possibly debian recompiled the kernel with the following line of code:  CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_SP_PSP=N which completely disables virtualization, but at the same time fixes shutdown hang time/feeze.

If hopefully that was the case, kernels 4.18.13+ added a timeout call which gets rid of hang time and re-enables kvm.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:11am
From my current config:

grep PSP /boot/config-4.19.0-rc7-amd64
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_SP_PSP=y

So I suppose it can work now. I'll give it another try.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:25am
@basedmeezus: Just updated to UEFI 4.81, enabled SVM and all is working now! So newer kernel fixed it as you mentioned, even with older qemu. Thanks again for the hint!

Edited by shmerl - 13 Oct 2018 at 5:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic