ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No picture after adding two more RAM modules

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binarylab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No picture after adding two more RAM modules
    Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:43am
I've recently bought two more RAM modules (2x16GB) from Corsair CMU32GX4M2C3200C16 for my ASRock Z370M Pro4.

After installing them I can't get any picture on the screen. If I remove all 4x16GB modules and install only new one everything works fine again. Even when I mix old with new ones everything is ok. The only scenario when it doesn't work is when I use all 4 modules. No beeps errors and fans are working as normal.

It seems like som kind of compatibility issue.
I've been using this motherboard for almost a year but with 2x16GB RAM and now it feels like I have to throw it away and buy a new one because its cheaper to buy a new motherboard for about 120 euro than replace all 4 RAM modules for 700 euro.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:26pm
You need a matched set of 4 sticks. the 2 sets are not compatible with each other
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

binarylab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binarylab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 3:16am
Originally posted by RLGL RLGL wrote:

You need a matched set of 4 sticks. the 2 sets are not compatible with each other

Thanks for answer.

Hmm so basically I can mix one old RAM module with one new but I can't mix all 4.
This is strange. Can't Asrock just release some BIOS upgrade?
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 9:18pm
They won't release an update for the bios. What you are facing is a very common problem that has been around for years.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Animalm4st3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animalm4st3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:53am
Its not a problem with the bios, if you use mismatched memory the system needs to find a common grtound for them to work together and if its impossibel because they are to different the system wont boot. This problem will follow you through about 95% of all motherboards, because they are not designed to use different mermory. If u really need to use different memory u need to make sure that every memory can run on the same speeds and timings. Also slotting your memory in correctly? Like the manual describes?
binarylab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binarylab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 5:16am
Originally posted by Animalm4st3r Animalm4st3r wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Its not a problem with the bios, if you use mismatched memory the system needs to find a common grtound for them to work together and if its impossibel because they are to different the system wont boot. This problem will follow you through about 95% of all motherboards, because they are not designed to use different mermory. If u really need to use different memory u need to make sure that every memory can run on the same speeds and timings. Also slotting your memory in correctly? Like the manual describes?

They are not different. All four memory sticks are CMU32GX4M2A3200C16. I bought two of them a year ago and two more recently. But when you check Asrocks memory QVL spreadsheet there is information that some RAM modules are only working with two slots and some in all four. My mistake not checking Memory QVL but it feels stupid. Anyway, thank you guys for all answers.   
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:55pm
Unfortunately RAM upgrades are not as easy as they used to be. Even with the same model RAM kits you often have issues. Part of the problem is that RAM manufacturers will often change components within the same model family, they ran out of XXX RAM chips so they went with YYY RAM chips because they technically have the same specifications for example. This looks fine on paper but often leads to compatibility issues. 

That is exactly why so many people recommend using matched kits with consecutive serial numbers. Board manufacturers can't do much to improve the situation sadly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic