ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loa
    Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 6:23pm
Hello

I bough a Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6, coupled with a 6600k and a G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black 2x8GB Kit (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB).
When I load that kit XMP profile the board won't post. Tried with one memory module and in different slots but the result is the same. It only posts when I set the profile auto. 
In auto it boots at 1077 single rate.

I have the latest BIOS posted on Asrock Website.
 Am I doing something wrong ? 
Do I need to tweak something ? 
Is there some compatibility issues ? 

Hope for an answer 
Rui

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 12:10am
Most if not all DDR4 memory with a speed of 3000 and above (particularly above 3000) when used with their XMP profile will set the system BCLK rate to 125MHz, from the standard BCLK of 100MHz.

That BCLK rate changes the CPU speed, since its speed is determined by the core multiplier and the BCLK frequency. With the BCLK at 125MHz and the base speed multiplier of your CPU (35), the resulting CPU/core speed is 4.375GHz, and a max Turbo speed of 4.875GHz. Both of those are significant over clocks that aren't working at default CPU voltage settings.

When you apply the XMP setting in the UEFI/BIOS, you should also see the BCLK rate displayed on that screen. Does it change to 125MHz?

If it does, try setting the the CPU multiplier, using the All Cores setting, to 30. That results in a CPU speed of 3.75GHz, which should POST and boot at default CPU voltages.

thorak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 12:49am
Thank you for your answer

I looked for BCLK changes and there arent any.
The yellow text above changes only on the rated memory speed. The rated BCLK stays the same.

Just for testing, I put the BCLK to 125 and the XMP profile to auto, the system posted but did not finish booting (the memory stayed at 2665Mhz with the BCLK overclock).

So the problem must resides elsewhere
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic