ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 extreme4
    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 9:42pm
I'm using my SSD with OS on M2_2 and the HDD on SATA 3_0.
Is M2_1 faster than M2_2?
Should I use the SSD on M2_1 and the HDD on SATA 3_2?
Also, I wanted to know what the driver ASMedia SATA3 does, if it is related with ports SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 and if I should use them.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 9:51am

Dear Abiak,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Z370 Extreme4 two M.2 slots support SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s).

About the ASMedia SATA3 driver, it relate to the two ASMedia SATA 3 ports (SATA3_A1, SATA3_A2).

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

Abiak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 6:34pm
I know what it supports, I already own it.
I'm using:
SSD with OS = M2_2
HDD = SATA 3_0
1) I was wondering if M2_1 is faster than M2_2, if I should use M2_1 instead of M2_2.
2) Since M2_1 disables SATA 3_0 I was wondering if I should switch the HDD to SATA 3_2.
3) I don't know when and why I should use the ASMedia ports.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:30am

Dear Abiak,

The two M.2 slots support the same bandwidth.

If there is no SATA device connected to the ASMedia ports, there is no need to install the ASMedia SATA 3 driver.

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

Abiak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 9:21pm
Thank you for your answer, I asked because in the manual there is written that SATA 3_0 has faster boot, I guess I assembled them at their best.
I've few other questions:
1 What's the difference between ASMedia ports and SATA?
2 Are PCIe1 and PCIe5 the same? I'm using the wi-fi adapter in PCIe5.
3 Are the drivers Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Intel Lan and Intel Management Engine needed?
4 I thought that removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes was enough to reset the BIOS but then I've read http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal in my mobo there was no jumper and also I don't get if I need to buy a new battery (the "replace" battery sentence), if yes could you link me a website where I can buy a jumper and/or a battery? Also I don't get if jumpers can be used only once.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:02pm
Hello Abiak, I am not ASRock Tech Support but I can answer some of your questions for you:

1. The ASMedia ports are provided by the ASMedia controller chip on the board and therefore are slower than the ones provided by the intel chipset. 3rd party controller chips are almost always slower than anything integrated onto the chipset.

2. The only time it makes a difference which PCIe x1 slot you use is when one of the slots has shared resources with another device (sometimes the case with M.2 slots on some boards). If it works in either then it will perform identically no matter which one is used.

3. They are not strictly needed for the system to function but I tend to prefer to install at least the IRST and IME drivers. The LAN drivers are only useful if you want more control over your LAN functionality, most users don't need this and are fine with the default windows driver.

4. Replace, in my clear CMOS post simply means put back in, not replace with a new one. You can however buy new batteries from just about any electronics store, just make a note of the number code on the battery, you can even take it (the battery) to the store with you and have them give you the right replacement. This is only really useful if your system is losing it's settings when removed from power (signifying a dead battery).

I hope this answers your questions Smile
Abiak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:49pm
Thank you.
3)
Intel Rapid Storage = I don't need RAID nor cache, however it has Link power management and I wonder if my HDD needs it.
Lan = Can I have an example of what it does?
IME = Does it increase CPU performance or what?

4) I asked because since when I reinstalled windows 10 I started to have lag problems. Mostly when I use Mozilla Firefox with hardware acceleration and 144Hz refresh rate, with higher or lower refresh rate there is almost no lag.
Also I have lag in some apps, like windows settings and realtek audio console then some icons became white too (Restart to UEFI, Microsoft Edge, Core Temp).
I tried everything: reinstall drivers, update bios, reinstall windows IN PLACE and clean, I removed the CMOS battery for 10 minutes too, but I did not fix the lag.
I wonder if I should try with a jumper, I saw on amazon they sell many together which is why I wonder if they work only once. If you think I should try with a jumper could you link me one?

Edited by Abiak - 26 Oct 2018 at 10:50pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 12:08am
As I said, none of those drivers are essential and by what you are describing I doubt they will help with your issue.

IRST is intel's own driver and management system for storage, it can, in some circumstances be more reliable but it won't make a difference to your problem.

IME is not really meant for home users, I personally use it but for work applications. If you don't know what it is or what it does you can google it but again, it won't help with your issues.

Jumpers are sold in large quantities because they are easily lost, you can use them over and over, in fact I still have a few from the 80's in my toolbox. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 12:10am
As for your issue with lag, please provide your full system specs so we know what you are working with:

CPU:
RAM: (model number, brand and capacity)
PSU:
Storage:
M.2/SSD:

Abiak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 1:54am
OS = Windows 10 Home 64-bit
MOBO = z370 Extreme4
CPU = Intel i7-8700k 3.7Ghz turbo 4.7GHz
RAM = 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 XMP 3200MHz
VGA = Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp Extreme Core Edition 11GB VRAM
Cooling = DeepCool Captain 240EX AIO
PSU = Seasonic 24141 750W
UPS = PowerWalker VI 1000 PSW IEC 1000VA 700W
SSD = Samsung MZ-V7E500BW 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe
HDD = Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB
Monitor = Dell S2417DG 144Hz
If we can't find the solution then I'll buy jumpers.
Ah I forgot to say, when it lags there are audio problems too.

Edited by Abiak - 27 Oct 2018 at 1:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic