ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can't install 2 graphics cards in X570 Xtreme 4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't install 2 graphics cards in X570 Xtreme 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shagbark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't install 2 graphics cards in X570 Xtreme 4
    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:44am
I have an X570 Xtreme4 mobo. I want one graphics card in PCIe slot 1 to run my video, and a powerful graphics card in PCIe slot 4 for doing lots of massively parallel computations.

But anytime I plug a video card into both slot 1 and slot 4, the system won't post. It turns on, then makes 3 beeps in a row, and 2 red LEDs on the board stay on. These are 2 of the 4 LEDs in the Post Status Checker. Unfortunately, I can't say which LEDs they are, since neither the board nor the manual for it show which LED means what.

I've tried plugging a Zotac GT370 in one slot and a Zotac GT710 in the other, and also the GT370 and an RTX 2070, each pair in both possible configurations. In no case will the board post or send any graphics output to the monitor.
It will post and display video out with any 1 of those 3 graphics cards in slot 1 if there is nothing in slot 4.

Is this by design, or is there a problem with my motherboard? The exchange window for it closed yesterday.

Before anyone tries to advise me to make do with 1 graphics card: I have a video projector which requires a graphics card with a VGA out, and no RTX cards have VGA out. No, I cannot use a HDMI-to-VGA or DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, because Windows can't detect my projector as a VGA display when it's not on a true analog VGA line but is behind an adaptor. No, I can't use the board's VGA out; the Ryzen 3700 doesn't support it.

My full system is:

CPU     AMD?Ryzen?7 3700X
Motherboard     ASRock AM4/X570 Extreme4/HDMI/M.2/USB3.2?Motherboard
RAM     OLOy 2x16GB 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) MD4U163216CGDA
CPU cooler     DEEPCOOL Captain 240 RGB V2, AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Graphics card     ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 Zone Edition 4GB DDR3
Graphics card     MSI Nvidia RTX 2070 Armor 8G GDDR6 602-V373
Power supply     EVGA?SuperNOVA G2 GOLD, 1300W
Case     Antec P101 Silent Mid-Tower
SSD     ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 2280
DVD     LG WH14NS40-KIT Super Multi Blue Internal 14x Blu-ray Disc Re-Writer
Shagbark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shagbark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:17am
One potential problem is that the Extreme4 manual says (p. 7) that, on a Ryzen Matisse CPU, when both PCIe x16 slots are occupied, they'll run at x16 (slot 1) and x4 (slot 4). That's impossible with a Ryzen 3700X, because it provides only 16 PCIe channels for graphics. For the 3700X, a motherboard should drop into x8 / x8 mode when 2 graphics cards are inserted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic