ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 extreme 4 + 9900K package power 300!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 extreme 4 + 9900K package power 300!
    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 4:08pm
Hello,
i recently upgraded my system to the latest 9th Gen Intel 9900k.

After reseting the bios and leaving all settings to default, i was bit confused about the default settings from asrock for this cpu.

Default vcore: 1,36V I think this is inside Intel specifications(is it?) but its realy high for a default value on a non oc system.

Power limits: All power limits are by default Auto, which in my view should be inside intel specification. I dont have multi core enhance active. All seetings default.

I test the system stability with LinpackXtreme 1.1.1.

Stress test with all default settings, the package power according to hwmonitor and hwinfo is "270" watt!!

My system can handle this heat beeing maximumg single cores at 94C but this package power draw is insane and i would like to know why on earth this and the very high vcore are default values?

Anyone else any expertise on this specific mb cpu combination?

Did you set a long time power limit? What do you recommend? 220W or even 250W?

Thankfull for any tips and ideas.

Regards Flode
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:54am
According to Anandtech: "Intel has set the PL2 value to 210W. This is essentially the power required to hit the peak turbo on all cores, such as 4.7 GHz on the eight-core Core i9-9900K." PL2 value is "sustained power delivery" so hitting that in a stress test when NOT overclocked should be common with most 9900k. Yours does seem a bit high but there are other factors such as CPU stepping, errata (Intel says Maximum Vcore of Intel Core i9-9900K Processor is 1.52V) and BIOS version to consider. You might want to temporarily set power limit to 210w until you get more info.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
shepgoba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shepgoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 10:54am
I also just upgraded to a 9900k on the same z370 extreme4 board. When I run stress tests I see power consumption up to a whopping 340W with stock bios settings. My pc was even freezing with that power consumption. Did you manage to fix it any other way than hardcoding a power limit? I would think it should handle this automatically
Flode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:42am
Hello, one of good Things of this Mainboard is, that the vrm can handle the 9900k, even with this this powerdraw, i recommend you to Set a Powerlimit according what your cooling solution can handle, you can also try to find you CPU specific vcore needings and Undervolt the CPU with negative Offset. Best regards flode
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic