ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to building computers and need some help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wickednick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to building computers and need some help
    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 2:04pm
So I'm a long Mac user moving to Windows and building a computer and Windows is really foreign to me and I need some help. I can get my computer started but I can't load into bios and when I try installing windows it wont recognize my ssd drive in the M.2 slot. I'm kind of at a loss at what to do.

I know that your supposed to use F2 to enter bios at start up but the computer just keeps asking for a boot drive. I've tried booting from the dvd included with the motherboard but it just asks for me to enter a date and time and then give me a C prompt.

The motherboard I'm using is a B550m pro4, the cpu is a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb DDR4 3000 Aegis memory, RX580 graphics. WD blue 500gb SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD.

I can't boot from the Seagate because that has all the files from my old Mac: saved games, music, movies, etc.

So any advice going forward here would be really appreciated.
Wickednick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wickednick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 2:33pm
Ok so figured some of it out I have to keep hitting the F2 key through start up because the keyboard doesn't power on until right before the Asrock logo shows up.

Still can't get the ssd drive to work.
SkyForce6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyForce6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:06pm
Your M.2 form factor SSD is a SATA drive and will only work in the lower secondary slot on the motherboard. However according to the specifications this motherboard only supports booting from NVME drives and not SATA drives in the M.2 slot. So to boot the system you need to buy anew NVME type drive rather then SATA. I hope you can still return the drive you bought and use that money to get a new NVME M.2 drive. SATA M.2's are these days primarily made for external use in a USB enclosure or for older boards that only supported SATA trough the M:2 interface. Thse days in modern systems you are primarily supposed to run NVME drives in the M.2 slots. They are slightly more expensive but only slightly but have many times faster sequential write and read speeds for larger files. In regular daily operation for most users though a SATA SSD drive will feel almost as fast as a NVME drive.
SkyForce6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyForce6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:18pm
Regarding that DVD disc that is only a simple drivers and utilities disc it is not a bootable disc for Windows installation. To create a bootable Windows disc you use the Windows Creation media tool to create an image file containing the installation files and BOOT files that you can then burn onto a DVD disc. However the more common method these days is to create a bootable USB stick and install Windows from that because it is much faster then using a DVD disc (also most people these days do not use optical drives). You use the same tool from Microsoft Windows media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB installation stick. This tool can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic