ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

NVMe Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NVMe Problems
    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 9:06pm
Hello, I need help with a problem I'm having. I have an ASRock 970A-G/3.1 with a FX 8300 CPU. I just upgraded to a 256gig ADATA Falcon NVMe drive, and for some reason S.M.A.R.T. Info will not show up in windows 8.1. The drive is recognized in bios, I have the OS installed and booting fine, but when I try to access the drive information total blank. Windows 10 displays info just fine but not in Win8.1
What would cause this to happen? Is there a fix? I'm running latest bios version 1.20 and there is no other update for the bios.
I would much rather run Windows 8.1 If possible but Drive information is quite important for monitoring usage and such.
Thank You...

System Specs:
- ASRock 970A-G/3.1
- AMD FX-8300 (Stock 3.3g / 4.2g)
- 16gig Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600mhz
- XFX Radeon RX-550 2gig (factory o.c.)
- Realtek WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
- Motorola SM56 Data Modem
- ADATA Falcon M.2 256gig SDD
- ADATA SU800 512gig SSD
- Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD
- Thermaltake Smart Series 700watt PSU 80+ White
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 3:59pm
try 3rd party apps or ditch Windows 8.1 already, lol.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Wekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

try 3rd party apps or ditch Windows 8.1 already, lol.

I tried that. Crystal Disk Info, HWiNFO, Speccy. None of them could read the drive Info. I updated my drivers, Windows Updates, Nothing fixed the problem.
I guess there isn't a fix for this. That's ok, Looks like I'll be going Linux soon anyways thanks to Microsoft stupidity and this new Win11 TPM block. My Days with Windows are coming to an end.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 8:36pm
Running Windows 11 right now .. 1st install was via install media with the bypass TPM patch .. second install was via straight install with fTPM enabled in BIOS.

I'm digg'n the quicker boots and snappier over all feel of it .. with your older setup you'll be better off running some lighter flavor(distro) of Linux.

You can always fire up whatever version of Windows in a VM if there's some program specific thing you need to run...
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Wekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 3:36am
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

Running Windows 11 right now .. 1st install was via install media with the bypass TPM patch .. second install was via straight install with fTPM enabled in BIOS.

I'm digg'n the quicker boots and snappier over all feel of it .. with your older setup you'll be better off running some lighter flavor(distro) of Linux.

You can always fire up whatever version of Windows in a VM if there's some program specific thing you need to run...

I've tried running linux in the past, in fact been playing with it the past couple days. I can't even figure out how to install my graphics driver, let alone do anything else worth while in it. I've been using windows since Windows 95. I don't know any other OS and Linux confuses me. I get so frustrated and angry trying to use it. I just rip it out and go back to Windows. I guess my only option is start saving every nickle and dime until I can afford a newer rig I guess. ( I HATE Microsoft )
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 6:50pm
i must say
why the panic ?
win10 is working fine for you (apart from not seeing smart data )
something that dosnt affect my life either way but it may yours

but this win11 vs win10 thing
im not getting it
carry on with life use win10 you got a few years yet
im in no rush to use win11
was in no rush to leave win xp
was in no rush to leave win7
bypassed win 8 all versions totally
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Wekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 4:11am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

i must say
why the panic ?
win10 is working fine for you (apart from not seeing smart data )
something that dosnt affect my life either way but it may yours

but this win11 vs win10 thing
im not getting it
carry on with life use win10 you got a few years yet
im in no rush to use win11
was in no rush to leave win xp
was in no rush to leave win7
bypassed win 8 all versions totally

Not a panic. Just trying to think ahead. According to MS new lifecycle thingy Win10 Home and Pro expires Oct. 2025. And probably get a few extra years after that if there's still developers supporting it after that. People are actually still using XP and Vista. But, sooner or later upgrade is inevitable and would like to think of a long term solution sooner rather than waiting till last minute. I'm stuck on a fixed income so having the computer I have now is a blessing. Trying to upgrade just for TPM, that's a $450 - $600 for me. Not and easy price tag to shell out. But, It is something I'll have to figure out later I think. Thanks for the time.
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:46am
I personally liked Win 8.1 over Win 7. I thought it ran faster. I did use a freeware tool to put back the Start menu. I always thought the guy that developed that tool should have made it something were people could donate to help developement.

As for Win 11: Microsoft seems to have backed off on the CPU and TPM stuff for now. I have a laptop that did not meet the PC Health checker. And also a virtualized PC using VMware WS Pro 16 (this VM is on a Ryzen 5950X hose, so the CPU is capable). Both systems upgraded to Win 11 Insider Preview without issue. My guess is they realized the more users they have as beta testers, the more bugs they will find before release. I also suspect they are collecting performance data to see if older processors are performing reasonably well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic