ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drive Slow x570 Extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foofenscoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drive Slow x570 Extreme4
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:43am
Hello all,

I've been aware of and aloofly troubleshooting this issue for a few months now. But I believe I've exhausted all of my options.

I am using two Sabrent Rocket 1TB drives for my C/D and they are occupying M2 slots 2/1 respectively. D benchmarks perfectly for read and write speeds, but my C drive benchmarks in the 1-15th percentile.

I have updated my X570 chipset drivers to 2.04.04.111. My motherboard BIOS is 2.60. I have ensured that the drive is seated well in the slot and is properly grounded on its standoff. I have a SATA HDD which I have moved between SATA ports 1 and 7 and saw no difference.

Does anybody have any suggestions to improve my read and write speeds? I want to make sure that I am getting my money's worth and fully utilizing PCIe 4.

C Drive M.2 Slot 2

D Drive M.2 Slot 1
Foofenscoops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foofenscoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:45am
For some reason the photos didn't embed correctly.

https://ibb.co/MC9rFPs
C Drive

https://ibb.co/ZW51j0M
D Drive

[URL=https://ibb.co/MC9rFPs]C Drive[/URL]

[URL=https://ibb.co/ZW51j0M]D Drive[/URL]
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:38am
Poor cooling maybe? These PCIe 4.0 drives throttle hard when the controller overheats. I peeled the cover sticker from my M.2 drives before installing so that they would have direct contact with the thermal pads on the metal cover the board comes with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foofenscoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:05pm
Hi thank you for the response. I just ran the benchmark again with HWiNFO up and unfortunately the drive isn't going over 41*C. The pads on the M.2 Armor heat spreader are making good contact. I'm starting to think that this is either a defective drive or the Extreme4 struggles with multiple M.2 drives on the PCIe 4 lane. Tomorrow I am going to remove D and see if there are any changes.
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 4:19pm
The top drive should be connected directly through the CPU, the bottom - through the X570 chipset. The chipset itself has 4x PCIe 4.0 link to the CPU, so even with additional load from say SATA or USB there should be enough bandwidth, the current SSDs still can't fully saturate 4x PCIe 4.0.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foofenscoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 4:08am
Just changed the slots the drives are in and it turns out it's specific to the drive. C and D's benchmarks remained the same. I will be contacting Sabrent for a replacement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic