ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No GPU output - X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:17am
Your board has 2 PCIe x16 length slots, try in both. Do NOT alter your PCIe x1 slots.
If you do it will void your warranty and if you have any issue with your board
after the fact you will not be able to return it.

Edited by Xaltar - 24 Apr 2020 at 1:18am
Thanos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:33am
Thanks, Xaltar, not sure why I thought that was x8 slot. I read somewhere the first slot should be used if available, but like I said, I'll try anything.

My case has the bend out style back planes and the mobo is in the way... :( I also don't have replacement blanks to put back in there. Man I miss my old desk at work, I had all of this kind of stuff laying around.

The struggle continues. Thanks for the great ideas!

T
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 2:21am
The slot is x4 electrically but it is physically an x16 slot. This is common on
many motherboards. Any PCIe device will work in any PCIe slot (electrically) so
there is no need to provide x4 and x8 (physical) length slots, these largely only
exist on server/workstation boards. Even a PCIe x1 slot can be modified to accept
a PCIe x16 card (what I thought you were referring to) by opening up the back with
a sharp blade (cut away the blockage making it open ended). It voids your warranty
but many people have done this for mining systems etc. I have a board with an
x16 (physical) slot that is electrically an x1 slot for example.

Long story short: If the GPU fits in it, it's safe to try it.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:16am
Originally posted by Thanos Thanos wrote:

Thanks, Xaltar, not sure why I thought that was x8 slot. I read somewhere the first slot should be used if available, but like I said, I'll try anything.

My case has the bend out style back planes and the mobo is in the way... :( I also don't have replacement blanks to put back in there. Man I miss my old desk at work, I had all of this kind of stuff laying around.

The struggle continues. Thanks for the great ideas!

T

the break out tabs should come off with just a little wiggle back n forth

there should be enough room between the board to bend it back n forth a little to break it away

just another quick thought

your not using any type of adapter on the gpu outlets? eg a dvi-vga connector or anything?
this can cause issues

basically with am4
you need to be using hdmi or displayport direct from gpu to monitor

it seems theres some sort of clashing with adapters from gpu output to monitors

(allthough say an ancient gpu with native vga seems ok to native vga monitor, hence why its the adapters/conversion i think causes the problem)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Thanos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 6:12am
Thanks datonyb. I think I'm going to be able to push from the backside and do the wiggling outside of the case, it's more difficult than I would have thought.

There are no adapters on any of the video cables. The monitors are brand new out of the box as well.

Thanks again!

T
Thanos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:04pm
Well. You guys aren't going to believe this. After doing all of the testing suggested by everyone (thank you so much!), with the speaker installed, still no video out. I was going to give up until I realized the HDMI cable had been delivered a day early. I plugged it up, not expecting much, lo and behold, there's video on the display port. I checked the HDMI, there's video there too. I check the other DP, there's video there, too.

I was beside myself. Powered it down, reinstalled everything and tried again. Nothing. I realize I forgot to plug in the HDMI (wasn't part of the routine yet). I power down, plug in the HDMI, we're off to the races. I verified it. After power being removed, the DPs aren't active unless there's an HDMI cable plugged in. After the first time, it's irrelevant, you can remove the HDMI and reboot, restart, power down, etc. But if you pull power from the supply (or turn the supply off) the DPs do not function.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just don't understand or how to fix it yet, but I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all of your help everyone!!

T
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 10:33pm
try checking the pcie option in bios

if its set to 'auto' change it to gen3 unless your using a amd 5600/5700 card of course ..........yet i doubt the gen4 will make any difference to gen3
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic