ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 7800x3d/x670e Steel Legend - Random hard resets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

7800x3d/x670e Steel Legend - Random hard resets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnicton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7800x3d/x670e Steel Legend - Random hard resets
    Posted: 19 May 2024 at 1:49am
Good afternoon,

After completing a new build I proceeded to start into Windows 11 installation, however from the outset I have been plagued with random hard reset issues while in Windows 11. This has been happening as early as a few minutes into Windows installation(USB boot), continuing into Windows itself after installation was completed.

I believe it's hardware level because Windows does not even go through a blue screen/event log process when it happens, it just hard resets as though the reset button were pressed. Setting Windows not to restart on blue screen does not prevent it from resetting.

There are no issues with any processes outside of Windows(bios, memtest, memory diag, Windows recovery). The issue only occurs when operating in any Windows environment(Windows installation, Windows proper).

Hardware:
AMD 7800x3d
x670e Steel Legend
Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE
Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 30-36-36-76 1.40v
2x Western Digital Black SN850x 2TB (slotted to M.2_2 and M.2_3)
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Slim 24G
Corsair RM1000x SHIFT 1000w PSU

Tried the following
Memtest + Windows Memory Diag (both passed, no errors)
sfc /scannnow
Updated all drivers from ASRock site, NVidia, Windows updates.

No change.

Applied EXPO profile for RAM
Set UCLK from Auto to MEMCLK in bios
Set Windows power plan to high performance

This increased reset intervals from a few minutes up to half an hour or more, but it continues to happen eventually. Most was four hours, but typically 30-60 minutes into Windows and it will reset.

Next tried a few things I saw from other forums

Set FCLK from 2000Mhz to 1800Mhz
Increased FCLK to 2100Mhz, SOC voltage from 1.25 to 1.28
Verified power connections are properly seated, on both mobo end and PSU.

No change.

These are my current ZenTimings values
https://imgur.com/a/DdvAM0j

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Donnicton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnicton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2024 at 2:04am
There doesn't seem to be a way to edit my post? In any case, I also wanted to add the A-Tuning report while up on this computer long enough to do so.

https://imgur.com/a/CTiVydy

I should also note I also tried both BIOS 2.10 and the most recent 3.01, no improvement for either.
n0m0r3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n0m0r3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2024 at 11:55am
Could be:

1) Windows image corrupted (try to redownload and start from scratch);
2) NVME data corruption (bad drive);
*3) Bad RAM (Windows memory test is not reliable);
4) Power ripple from your power supply or from your wall.

I will guess it's you RAM because you said that when you change EXPO profile the system starts to be more stable.

Forget about anything related to EXPO or XMP as we are talking about AMD (who never could do any decent memory controller). Try to put everything (timings and voltages manually).
Donnicton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnicton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2024 at 5:54pm
Well I tried with one RAM stick, then the other. No change for either one.

Changed both of the Western Digital drives with Samsung 990 Pros just in case it was M2 compatibility error, no change.

I ended up copying the Buildzoid timings, but it wasn't until I saw a thread on Reddit mentioning lowering the VDDP voltage to 1.0v (from I think 1.15v) that I was able to go far enough to finish the Windows 11 install and start booting into Windows. But it still resets after about 5-10 minutes in Windows.

Adjusted the others to various levels without significant success(including clocking down to 5200Mhz), I'm not sure what else I can change at this point.

Timings same as BuildZoid
(These sticks are EXPO rated at 1.4v)
VDDIO 1.4v
VDD 1.4v
VDDQ 1.4v
VPP 1.8
Infinity 2000Mhz
UCLK = MEMCLK
SOC 1.2v
VDD Misc 1.1v
VDDG CCD Auto
VDDG IOD Auto
VDDP 1.0v
Donnicton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnicton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2024 at 8:36am
Replaced the Corsair RAM with g.skill Trident Z5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35v (2x16GB). Still having the same issue. I get into Windows and after a few minutes it hard resets again. I get into the Windows installation media to try and reinstall Windows and it hard resets the same way.

Adjusting voltages similarly, "entering values by hand" and/or clocking the frequency down has done nothing.

At this point the only other things I could reduce it down to are the motherboard and the CPU, so I guess one or both are getting exchanged at Amazon.
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 1:00pm
downclock cpu,ram, try without the gpu.

edit:
what it the cpu cooling?

Edited by M440 - 24 May 2024 at 8:57pm
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
Donnicton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnicton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:51am
Followup on this, it turns out it was the processor that was faulty.

Tried another motherboard(MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk Wifi), all other hardware the same - same exact problem. Replaced the processor, everything is fine now.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 10 minutes ago at 6:04pm
Thanks for the update Donnicton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic