ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme7+ BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kladno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme7+ BIOS
    Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:57pm
Can someone explain what is meant by these BIOS settings:

Advanced Configuration\CPU - CFG Lock

Advanced Configuration\USB - XHCI Hand-off

These are the settings in the new BIOS 3.10 for MB Asrock Extreme7+.

Thank you.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:39pm
CFG Lock
Leave Locked unless
a very specific Windows program you req is needed to change C States.
Something very rare. Leave locked and let the BIOS/OS take control.

XHCI Hand-off
Determines who controls USB 3.x. Disabled is via BIOS while Enabled is via OS Driver
Disabled = No USB 3.x speed (even if using a 3.x port)
Enabled = Enables USB 3.x speed, but requires proper USB 3.x drivers installed (ie: Win 7 that does not natively support USB 3.x)
Kladno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kladno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:38pm

Thanks for the reply.

Both settings are disabled by default.

CFG Lock - how 'leave locked', there is option disabled (default) or enabled only?

XHCI Hand-off - for Windows 10 x64 with USB 3.0/3.1 drivers it should be enabled?

On the Asrock download page for BIOS 3.10 is in description "Update EZ mode" only,
no mention of these new options.

Edited by Kladno - 15 Aug 2016 at 7:49pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Kladno Kladno wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Both settings are disabled by default.

CFG Lock - how 'leave locked', there is option disabled (default) or enabled only?

XHCI Hand-off - for Windows 10 x64 with USB 3.0/3.1 drivers it should be enabled?

On the Asrock download page for BIOS 3.10 is in description "Update EZ mode" only,
no mention of these new options.

Update EZ Mode? All I know about EZ Mode is I must enable "Advance(d)" mode to get rid of EZ Mode being used by default. When using EZ Mode, are all the Advance(d) mode options not found in EZ Mode set to the default values of Advance(d) mode?

About CFG lock, it would seem to me that enabling the lock would NOT allow a program to change the C States. I happen to have a program that will enable and disable C States in Windows, and others exist out there (ThrottleStop.)

With CFG Lock disabled, I was able to change the C States in Windows. I have not tested enabling it yet.

What we really need is a CPU register locking option, that prevents the CPU registers from changing when a PC wakes from Windows Sleep. Or is that a general procedure for restoring the CPU registers when Windows wakes from Sleep, a feature that has been available for years, but we still have wake from Sleep problems caused in some cases by changes in CPU registers. ASRock boards tend to suffer from this less than other mother boards, given what I have read in other forums.

XHCI Hand-Off, not sure what this is about. Could be related to Windows 10 only using the USB 3.0 driver for all the USB root hubs. Or could be related to Windows 7, when used with an Intel 100 series board, that needs a USB 3.0 driver added to it or the USB ports will not work.

No mention of these new options in the description? True, and standard procedure for every mother board manufacture's products I've owned over the years. That's one main reason why I always update to the new UEFI versions, to find what new or modified options may have been added.

Why are new options not listed in the description? I don't know. Is it because the Description field for a UEFI version is so small? Ridiculous, but possibly true. IMO, are many of the UEFI/BIOS options described adequately? I heard that... and I agree, no they aren't. Pinch  Has anyone ever snapped one of the QR codes in the UEFI for "more information"? Did it give you a good description?

I've managed to figure out some UEFI options, like the ASPM options, which are power saving features for the PCIe and DMI busses. Search on CFG Lock and you'll get mainly hits of forum threads asking what CFG Lock is. How wardog determined (inferred?) that CFG Lock does what he said it does, is more than I could see.
Kladno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kladno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 3:31am
Thanks for the reply.

>When using EZ Mode, are all the Advance(d) mode options not found in EZ Mode set to the default values of Advance(d) mode?

I did not see any differences between EZ Mode from BIOS 3.00 and 3.10.
But I'm using always the Advanced mode, sorry.

About CFG lock, it would be better to set it on enabled, I think.
I do not use sleep or hibernation mode.

For XHCI Hand-Off I found the following information:

Disabled - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port
Enabled - The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 3.0 port

The BIOS normally "owns" the USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller when you first
power on the PC. Eventually the OS loads. Lets assume the OS supports USB 3.0.
If the OS also supports xHCI hand-off, it will obtain exclusive control of
the USB 3.0 controller from the BIOS. If it doesn't support xHCI hand-off,
bad things will happen (i.e. the BIOS and OS may try to use the controller
at the same time). If you have win 8.1 or 10 this should be disabled.

I tested both settings with Windows 10 Pro x64/Extreme7+ and
XHCI Hand-Off, enabled or disabled, does not make any changes for USB 3.0
and I did not found any problem in Device Manager also.

Maybe it's for BIOS boot from USB to install OS which does not natively support USB 3.0,
as Windows 7. Select Enabled for operating systems without XHCI hand-off support.

>Has anyone ever snapped one of the QR codes in the UEFI for "more information"? Did it give you a good description?

Yes, but I got always only this one address Smile

Anyway thank you for your help.

Edited by Kladno - 25 Aug 2016 at 3:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic