ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SOLVED !! Z97 PRO4 won't boot with Dual Channel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOLVED !! Z97 PRO4 won't boot with Dual Channel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrischu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLVED !! Z97 PRO4 won't boot with Dual Channel
    Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 9:01pm
HI,

first my specs:
Mainboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit

I had the 2 8GB's in RAM-Slot A1 and A2.
Then i bought the same 2 8GBs again and put them into RAM-Slots B1 and B2.
Nothing happened. The system don't even run into BIOS.
I removed the 2 new 8GBs and everything works again.
Then i decided to give it a try and put the 2 "old" 8GBs into RAM-Slots B1 and B2 which should be the primary Dual Channel Configuration, regarding the Manual.
But... the same... nothing happened.
i Also checked the RAM compatibility sides of Crucial and Asrock and Crucial had the information, that the Memory is compatible with the board.
Is there anything i can configure or whatsever? i cannot even use the configuration in Dual Channel mode.
That's weird for me :-(

I hope, that you have a tip for me here,
Thank you guys!!

greetings from Germany,

Chris

Edited by Chrischu - 13 Oct 2015 at 4:57pm
Chrischu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrischu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:47pm
OK... i solved the problem by myself.

There was a CPU-Contact on the Mainboard not in the correct place.
I don't know how this can happen...
The system ran 1 year without problems.
Well.
I rearranged that contact, so that it was in place again.
After that the Memory-Slots B1 and B2 where functional again.

Problem solved.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 2:51pm
That problem can be caused by excessive or unequal pressure on the CPU by the CPU cooler mounting.

The bent contact in the CPU socket has been that way since you first (or the last time) you installed a CPU in the CPU socket.

The bent contact was a connection for the memory in the B1, B2, or both slots. Since you did not use memory in those slots until recently, you never noticed the connection problem until you installed the new memory (and old memory) in the B1 and B2 slots.

Also, if you had your memory only in the A1 and A2 slots, you were running the memory in single channel mode. You need memory in at least one slot of the A and B memory channels to get dual channel operation.
Chrischu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrischu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 4:56pm
Hi,

thank you for your Answer "parsec".
But... if the cpu was mounted with a unequal pressure, then that would not be my fault.
Why? Well, i cannot change the pressure with which the CPU is "pressed" onto the contacts,
am i right?
I mean... i have to press that "bow" down to fix the CPU in the socket. But can i change the amount of pressure, which this bow needs to be pressed down and to fix the CPU?

but... when i look at this infinite amount of contacts in the socket... it seems nearly like a miracle,
that nothing seems to be damaged in the last 12 months :-)
Brego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 8:12am
Hi there, sorry to open this old post again but I've the same problem as you, Im wondering which contact is that, that you're talking about as a CPU-contact. 

I will appreciate if someone can tell me what's that supposed to mean before I use a RMA. 

Thx in advance.
djangofan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangofan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:26am
Same problem here: 
My ASRock Z87E-ITX worked fine with a i7-4770K for 2.5 years and then recently I decide I want VT-d support and so I tried to update to a i7-4790 processor and now my entire main board is broken.  The computer beeps 4 times on start and then says memory in CHannelA isn't valid.   It will boot with a memory dimm in ChannelB but after i get into windows, some of the drivers wont load, such as the mouse.  I have latest bios 2.50 .   2 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 MHz 1.5v dimms.     

After reading this thread I looked again at all the pins in the CPU socket and they look exactly like this stock photo: https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/186838/asus-h87i-plus.jpg ).    My CPU fan is small and i cant imagine it was applying much pressure and hurting any pins... and the pins "appear" to all be ok.     The pins are so small I had to use a magnifying glass to see it.

I wish I knew what the problem is here.  Thats why I am asking for help.

Edited by djangofan - 10 Nov 2016 at 10:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic