ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock Bios fan control is it equal on all models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Bios fan control is it equal on all models

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 3:54pm
THanks parsec for the detailed info.

I edited my post, probably while you were seraching for all that great info. =)

I manage to get it working upon further testing, it was my fault, the AP182 have a very high starting voltage, depending on the sample 60-70%, so both the CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 can manage the fan dynamically with the CPU temps.  Sadly the CHA_FAN2 cant, it seems its a pure PWM header, so ill have to use the CPU_FAN for one of the AP182 on the FT05.

All in all im pretty happy with AsRock and their bios fan control.  The only thing that i would like to see in the future, is all fans headers with autosensing and allowing to be manage as the CPU_FAN1 and CHA_FAN1.  At least on the Extreme or Fatal1ty series, i would drop more money on a mobo if i can get more control and flexibility on the fan control.

Edited by Abula - 15 May 2016 at 3:56pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:43pm
Most if not all of the ASRock Z170 Extreme and Fatal1ty boards have the Smart Fan Speed control on all the fan connectors. You must verify that with the specifications of a particular board.

Don't forget that the power usage of the AP182 fan is more than any of the fan connectors on your board is designed to supply. If you constantly prevent that fan from running at full speed, you might not damage the fan connector circuit, but you are taking a chance and the board could be damaged. SilverStone, in their excellent manual for that fan, includes several warnings about that.

I'm skeptical that the CHA_FAN2 connector on the H170 Pro4 only has PWM fan speed control. But I would need to test that myself. Usually, PWM fan speed control is more expensive to implement than voltage control.
Abula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 12:15am
Thanks again for your reply parsec

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Most if not all of the ASRock Z170 Extreme and Fatal1ty boards have the Smart Fan Speed control on all the fan connectors. You must verify that with the specifications of a particular board.
I checked the 

ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K4/

And from the manual 
Quote 2 x CPU Fan Connectors (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)
4 x Chassis Fan Connectors (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control) 
* CPU_FAN1 and CHA_FAN1 can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use.

It seems the same as my Z170 Pro4, just mine has two auto detect on CPU_FAN1 (same) and CHA_FAN1 (different as its CPU_FAN2).  So i would think the rest of the fan headers are the same as my CHA_FAN2, that its PWM but cant do 3pin voltage control.  And dont get me wrong its fine, ill adapt to it, but would be much better if all were autodetect, Asus atm has all their headers switchable manually on the bios, to me it would be great if AsRock considers doing the autodetect on all their headers, at least on their higher end mobos.

Don't forget that the power usage of the AP182 fan is more than any of the fan connectors on your board is designed to supply. If you constantly prevent that fan from running at full speed, you might not damage the fan connector circuit, but you are taking a chance and the board could be damaged. SilverStone, in their excellent manual for that fan, includes several warnings about that.
Thanks for the warning, i have been running the AP182 on MSI mobo for almost two years now, no issues, but i dont run them full, i usually have the knob like 30% up and the use the mobo to undervolt it further, at the end i get 350rpms on idle and 650rpms on load (out of the 2150rpms that it reaches), that doesnt mean that it will work fine or in time that i wont have issues, but ill take my chances, i bought AsRock specifically because of the Bios fan control to control AP182, if i cant do this, ill probably switch to another case or go water.

I'm skeptical that the CHA_FAN2 connector on the H170 Pro4 only has PWM fan speed control. But I would need to test that myself. Usually, PWM fan speed control is more expensive to implement than voltage control.
I did test mulitple fans, on the Intel stock cooler i was able to drop it 1100rpms and on the thermalright TY147A PWM i manage 299rpms, which are in line with Asus can do with FanXpert and MSI on bios.  I then tested a Noctua NF-S12B Redux 700rpm (3pin) and it ran at 725rpms, and i tested the AP182 and it ran at 2150rpms, i entered the bios and tried customized and the profiles and no difference, to me, the header is PWM only, as PWM headers/fans always operate at 12V and regulate via the pwm signal.

At the end CHA_FAN2 being PWM and not able to control 3pin is not a big deal, i will route the cable in the back and use this for my CPU fans (all pwm) and then route CHA_FAN1 and CPU_FAN1 (auto detect headers and able to do voltage control) to both AP182s, and be done with it.

Again really happy with AsRock atm, i think the bios fan control its the best that i seen, really amazing stuff, specially no restrictions, mulitple breakpoints, and love the autodetect headers (they really work), but the only thing i would like to see is all headers autodetect, this will allow users to use the included fans or upgrade to PWM and the motherboard will handle it.
Goore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 6:06pm
Hi,
I just bought AsRock Z170 Extreme7+ MB with new Intel i3-6320 processor. Processor is provided with standard NIDEC fan (E97379-001). I played a lot with BIOS setting (I downloaded the last 3.00 version) for CPU fan control but I am not able to set it as I want. The fan is generaly noisy so I wanted to set lower rpms for the fan. First I tried to set Silent mode but the fan didn't start up to CPU temperature=65 deg. C. Then I tried Custom option and every other posible setting (4pin vs. automatic too) but it all ended by not starting the CPU fan when I chose the fans speed lower then 50%...
I contacted the AsRock support but they didn't reply (quite sad for customer who has their the most expensive MB...)
Thanks for any help.

Edited by Goore - 26 Jun 2016 at 6:33pm
LTRMcrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRMcrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 1:33am
Hi All,

I'm about to build using ASRock H170Pro4S and had question with the fan speed control. I'll be using (correct if I'm wrong) CHA_FAN1 for the front fan; my question is with the fan there is a three place switch attached to the fan (L,M,H) which do I leave the manual switch to in order to let the BIOS and mobo control the full range of fan speed?

Thanks!
i5-6500/H170Pro4S/16GB HyperX Black DDR4
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 2:28am
H, H stands for High. This will allow the motherboard to slow it down when necessary and have access to the fan's full speed when needed.
LTRMcrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTRMcrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 2:33am
Ok, thanks for the quick reply Xaltar.
i5-6500/H170Pro4S/16GB HyperX Black DDR4
outlawzgr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawzgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:37pm
I 've got also a question regarding the uefi fantastic tuning, 
I've the h170 fatal1ty hyper board with pwm headers and also pwm fans, but the fans wont go lower than half their speed, i set them to 0% rpm in uefi,  all of them,  and all of them run at 30-50%,  i want them.to stop when cpu temp is bellow 60c but i can't see that happening even if i adjust the fan curve to be 0% until cpu reaches 80c, the fans spin no matter what,
Speedfan does not work with the board so i am stuck with the noise that the fans make at 50% and i have 7 so it will be nice i could make them stop or at least if i can adjust the board to provide 5 or 7 volts instead of 12 to lower their rpm values

Is there any way to make the stop? Or make them go to lower rpm value?
11mail22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11mail22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 6:51pm
Here my story about FAN control on the ASRock Z170 Gaming K4 board.
First of all I want to mention in this thermal thread, that I am glad to decide for Gaming K4 instead of MSI Tomahawk, as the 45% larger Z170 heat sink is valuable. This device is really a heater. But back to FAN control.
My Miditower has 5 DC controlled Fans, but the board just have two ports to control that (CPU_FAN1 and CHA_FAN1), as ASRock decided to save some cents (which MSI does not). The layout is prepared for each port, but the FAN voltage regulator device for this 3pin mode is just mounted at two of them. My thought was to connect two FANs in parallel to one FAN port of the mobo.
So I measured the power consumption of a single 12cm fan:
0.13mA@12V, 0.11A@10V, 0,09A@8V, 0,07A@6V  Startup: 5V

The FAN voltage regulator device is a Nuvoto 3943S which is similar to http://www.nuvoton.com/hq/products/power-management/voltage-regulators/fan-driver-ic-series/%3F__locale=en confirmed by customer support of Nuvoto (Thank you for that).

This is the important information in this datasheet (beside the 500mA drive capability)
PD(MAX) = (TJ(MAX) - TA) / θJA Where TJ(MAX) is the maximum operation junction temperature 125?? TA is the ambient temperature and the θJA is the junction to ambient thermal resistance. θJA for ESOP-8 package is 75??W on JEDEC51-7 (4 layers, 2S2P) thermal test board with minimum copper area. The maximum power dissipation at TA = 25??can be calculated as: PD(MAX) = (125??- 25?? / 75??W = 1.33W

As slower the fan should run, as more power will be converted to heat in this device (MOSFET). dP = dV*I.
For my parallel FANs this result in (12V-6V)*2*0,07A = 0.84W so it will work. In practice this small device, which is well thermal connected to the board (look at the spare foot prints), get really warm. You cant put your small finger longer time on that. So ~60°C.
So keep in mind, lower speed is more critcal for you board.

If you have similar thoughts please check your fans carefully. My lighted top FANs does have 0.08A@5V (startup 3V), which already lead to the maximum of 1.33W of the device. 
Finally I put the back fan to CPU1_FAN and both front fans in parallel to CHA1_FAN. The two lighted top fans are in serial (2x6V) direct to 12V.

My only PWM fan (4 pole) is the Arctic Freezer 13. Connected to CPU2_FAN, but at lower speed I got strange buzzing noises. I tried CHA4_FAN and this works absolutely silent. No idea what generated this sound, may be a wrong PWM signal to the fan or a coil of the 12V on board power supply (but guess the 12V for the FAN is comming directly from main power supply). 

The controlling in the BIOS or App is customized. Only in this mode you know what happen and can perfectly adapted to your FANs noise profile. It can be done very accurate by single % steps, which already changes the noise behavior of the fan.

ASRock should really spent at each port that 3pin option, as MSI do.

Edited by 11mail22 - 28 Nov 2016 at 1:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic