ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - B650E Taichi BIOS 3.02 not recognizing SATA SSDs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B650E Taichi BIOS 3.02 not recognizing SATA SSDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B650E Taichi BIOS 3.02 not recognizing SATA SSDs
    Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 11:03pm
The SATA SSD was actually working fine for months, suddenly, it stopped working. I couldn't see it in the windows explorer, disk/device manager.

I checked my BIOS, and in the Storage page I can see my main drive (NVMe), I can see my 2 HDDs, but not the Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD.

So I was like "ok maybe the SSD is dead", tested it in other PC and no, it's working fine, tested an old Samsung SSD that was connected and working on other PC, and it also doesn't work on my PC.

??Tested 2 new SATA cables
??Tested another SATA slot
??Replaced the PSU cable and tested it in another slot

So this is pretty weird, there were no recent hardware changes. I was using BIOS 2.03 because it fixed a compatibility issue with my NVMe SSD, in that case the mobo was not recognizing the NVMe, but only after a cold boot.
I updated to 3.02 just to make sure it wasn't something similar. The only change I can think of are like Windows Updates, so what's going on?

OS Name     Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version     10.0.22631 Build 22631
BIOS 3.02

CPU: 7800X3D
PSU: RM1200x SHIFT
Storage:
1. SSD NVME - Western Digital WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 (Windows)
2. SSD SATA 3 - Crucial MX500 1T
3. HDD SATA 3 - 3TB WDC WD30EZRZ-00WN9B0
4. HDD SATA 3 - 1TB WDC WD10EZEX
Guzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 12:53am
I enabled CSM, and now the SATA SSD is working again, not sure if that's exactly what fixed it, nor if it won't happen again after a cold boot.

Assuming that's what fixed it, why would CSM be necessary?

The SSD's firmware is updated (M3CR046), all disks are GPT, health status good (smart), this is only a storage driver that has a few file/games in it (44% free space)
Guzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 10:58pm
It was not CSM, had same issue today after cold boot.

Tried Clear CMOS, tested both SATA SSDs, and they still refuse to work on this MOBO, other HDDs and the NVMe are fine.
Guzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 10:31pm

Ok, found the issue, both SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 are not working anymore. the SSD works in SATA3_A3

Is there anything I can do to fix this without having to RMA ?
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 1:24am
IMO i dont think so and unfortunatelly you need to RMA :/

if the bios does not recognize the drives...

tried with disabled 'fastboot'?
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
Guzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 1:41am
Thanks, but it was not the ports, it's an issue with the SATA controller drivers, I downloaded this:
Asmedia ASM-1x6x Sata 6G controller Drivers Version 3.3.5.0 WHQL

After installing it, I rebooted and now the port and the SSD connected to it are working again.

I still need to do a few tests, but I think that really fixed it.

Some other user had a similar issue but with the Taichi Lite:
https://reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/1d8uiar/b650e_taichi_suddenly_stopped_recognizing_sata/l7dt8r5/
https://reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/188kzub/comment/kbo19yb

I think ASRock should do something fast, to avoid annoyed consumers that will deal with the process of having to disassemble their PCs, send back to RMA/Seller, wait for days, just to get a 'new' mobo that may have the same issue again.

Guzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 3:35am
So far so good, but I would love to know why this happened, the PC/SSD/SATA port, everything, was fine for months, is this like, Windows Update fault? How about 'software' like Vanguard (Riot's Kernel-level anti-cheat thing)?

Because I was actually not really aware that an issue with a driver in Window could make a device completely vanish from the BIOS, I was looking into it, and those were only the 2 things I installed/updated before I noticed the problem.

-

Also, there is still a minor issue that doesn't really seem to have any negative effect on the system.

After a cold boot everything works fine, but if you access the BIOS and check the STORAGE page, all the devices will be missing except for the NVMe, if you save/discard and exit, open the BIOS again everything will be back to normal.

Like I said, the PC works fine even after a cold boot, I just found this weird and If I were building my first PC and saw that blank storage page I'd probably be a little concerned to say the least.
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 5:02am
Originally posted by Guzo Guzo wrote:

So far so good, but I would love to know why this happened, the PC/SSD/SATA port, everything, was fine for months, is this like, Windows Update fault? How about 'software' like Vanguard (Riot's Kernel-level anti-cheat thing)?

Because I was actually not really aware that an issue with a driver in Window could make a device completely vanish from the BIOS, I was looking into it, and those were only the 2 things I installed/updated before I noticed the problem.

-

Also, there is still a minor issue that doesn't really seem to have any negative effect on the system.

After a cold boot everything works fine, but if you access the BIOS and check the STORAGE page, all the devices will be missing except for the NVMe, if you save/discard and exit, open the BIOS again everything will be back to normal.

Like I said, the PC works fine even after a cold boot, I just found this weird and If I were building my first PC and saw that blank storage page I'd probably be a little concerned to say the least.

well. If a sata drive BIOS visibility was fixed by OS driver update (!) IMO the OS/driver is setting silly persistent flags for the controller. It is known windows can do this with network cards, but i didnt thought it possible for a sata controller.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Ethernet#Realtek_no_link_/_WOL_problem

anyway my solution is running windows 11 in a virtual machine where it has limited access to hardware. For example the games library it have access through NFS service

edit:
when i was booting windows 11 bare metal on my board (b650m-hdv.m2) the windows was constantly trying to alter the NVRAM and place itself as main bootloader which was resulting in excessive boot times and sometimes it even succeeding and booting itself (without showing the GRUB bootloader which is configured behaviour)

Edited by M440 - 07 Jun 2024 at 5:16am
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
Guzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 10:26pm
Never mind, that didn't fix the problem or if it did it only lasted for a day and a few shutdowns/reboots.

There is probably something wrong with the SATA controllers on this board.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic