ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsung 950pro not detected on Ultra M2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 2:40pm
I have a Samsung AHCI SM951 in my Z97 Extreme6 board, and it is detected and works fine. It is used as my Windows 10 drive.

Mr. Punch and Naz75, while having a similar problem apparently, have very different SSDs. That makes a difference for each of their issues.

Naz75's M.2 850 Evo is an M.2 SATA SSD. If you check the Z97 Extreme6's manual, Section 2.11, page 39, you'll find that M.2 SATA SSDs are only supported in the M2_2 socket. The way this is stated in the manual is done in a "what the socket can do" style, rather than a "what the socket cannot do" style. The Storage Support list corroborates the compatibility of PCIe SSDs in the M2_1 socket only, although they can be used in the M2_2 socket.

The M2_2 socket is connected to the Z97 chipset, and shares resources with two SATA ports. It is not connected to CPU's PCIe lanes like the Ultra M.2 (M2_1) socket. The bottom line for you Naz75 is your 850 Evo won't work in the Ultra M.2 socket (M2_1), sorry to say.

Mr. Punch has a 950 Pro, a true PCIe SSD, and also using an NVMe controller. On my ASRock Z170 board, the only place I can find my 950 Pro is in the System Browser tool, either in the UEFI/BIOS, or in Windows 10. That is the only place you will see your 950 Pro, if it is shown at all, it may not be. But that is not automatically a problem.

Question for you Mr. Punch: What version of Windows are you using? Windows 7 does not have a built in NVMe driver, which is required for using any NVMe SSD like the 950 Pro.

Also Mr. Punch, did you install the Samsung NVMe driver?

I do not expect you to see your 950 Pro NVMe SSD listed anywhere in the UEFI/BIOS, except in the System Brower tool. But if it is NOT shown in System Browser, I would still start Windows, and try to initialize the 950 in Disk Management. But if you are using Windows 7 without the Samsung NVMe driver, I doubt the 950 will be seen by Windows 7.

One thing you must do to use the 950 Pro as the Windows drive is this: In the Boot screen in the UEFI/BIOS, at the bottom is an option called CSM. Click on that to show the sub-options. One of the sub-options is Launch Storage OpROM Policy. Set that to UEFI Only, not Legacy. Save and exit. You should do this just to see if that will cause your 950 to be shown in the System Browser tool.

Please answer my questions so we have more information about your issue.

We must be careful when we have a new interface (M.2) that is also shared with multiple types of SSDs (SATA/AHCI, and PCIe AHCI and PCIe NVMe). SATA M.2 SSDs have a different M.2 "key" (two notches in the connection end of the board) than PCIe SSDs (one notch in the connection end.)

Another complication to this is the changing (evolving?) way these multiple types of SSDs are connected to the board's resources, and the routing of the devices connected to those resources. Z97 and X99 boards have identical architecture in this area, which Z170 connects all M.2 devices through the Z170 chipset, which for the first time has PCIe 3.0 resources in it.

The RST PCIe Remapping option that DooRules mentioned is not related to either of your issues, and is only an option(s) on Z170 boards.

Edited by parsec - 14 Dec 2015 at 2:41pm
Naz75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naz75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Naz75's M.2 850 Evo is an M.2 SATA SSD. If you check the Z97 Extreme6's manual, Section 2.11, page 39, you'll find that M.2 SATA SSDs are only supported in the M2_2 socket. The way this is stated in the manual is done in a "what the socket can do" style, rather than a "what the socket cannot do" style. The Storage Support list corroborates the compatibility of PCIe SSDs in the M2_1 socket only, although they can be used in the M2_2 socket.

The M2_2 socket is connected to the Z97 chipset, and shares resources with two SATA ports. It is not connected to CPU's PCIe lanes like the Ultra M.2 (M2_1) socket. The bottom line for you Naz75 is your 850 Evo won't work in the Ultra M.2 socket (M2_1), sorry to say.

Thanks for the answer, and the explanation!

Though I did post asking if it would work, not only here but on other forums as well and was told it "should" ... but that's my impatience, that I didn't wait for a definite answer from someone actually "in the know".

Also, my manual is somewhat misleading on the matter and it does not actually have any section regarding "what the socket can do" and instead just details how to screw in the mounting screws.

The Evo is also not listed on the compatibility page for either slot... so I just presumed it had not yet been added or something...

No matter, no harm done!  I can just take this one back and exhange it for a regular EVO SSD at the same price!  .. or better yet I can probably exchange it for the 256GB 950 Pro! Big smile
Mr.Punch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 4:41pm
Thanks Parsec for the explicit reply.

I work with Windows 10, i also tried to install the NVMe driver.
All negativ.
The 950pro don't show up during the Windows installation or in disk management.

I will try your advise for the bios setup in the evening.
And i also ordered another Z97 extreme6.

DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 6:22pm
Yes indeed, thanks for the very detailed response parsec, was hoping you would chime in on this. 
Endlesspath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Endlesspath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 8:04am
Deleted for correction below ~

Edited by Endlesspath - 15 Dec 2015 at 8:07am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Endlesspath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

I have 3 M2 sockets on my mobo, all sockets show up in bios. I have a 950 in two of them, neither shows in bios.

This website review (pg2 of it) will give you the proper bios settings for your Z170 Extreme7+ motherboard using multiple Ultra M.2 (specifically for a bootable raid setup) :

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/understanding-m2-3xraid0-nvme-boot-performance/2/

DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 8:10am
No issues here. I was merely commenting on the fact that they don't show up in bios.  Finished playing with them in raid now. Using one for OS and the other for storage.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Endlesspath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

On my board, Z170 extreme 7+, I have a bios setting for the M2 ultra slots, "pci mapping". If this is not enabled I do not see either 950.

Not sure if you have this setting or not.

TheSSDREVIEW has a detailed review (BIOS settings/Test results) of the Z170 Extreme7+ with 3x Samsung SM950 pros raided as a boot drive; you should review it here (bios settings on pg 2):

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/understanding-m2-3xraid0-nvme-boot-performance/
Mr.Punch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 12:31am
I got a new Z97 extreme6 today...and everything is fine now!
The 950 pro is shown in the "System Browser" and in the boot menu as well.

Seems that the UltraM2 slot on my first mobo is broken.
Lez501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Naz75 Naz75 wrote:

I have the same problem with a Samsung 850 EVO that I just bought.

Same motherboard as well... hence, sorry to add to this thread but since it IS related I decided not to start a new identical thread.

I bought 2 of these 850 Evo's actually, the first one I bought yesterday and installed it into M2_2 and got it set up as my boot drive and everything was glorious, flawless and beautiful!  I liked it so much that I decided to go buy a second one today and installed it into M2_1, the Ultra M2 slot.

Not detected in UEFI.

There's gotta be some additional setting somewhere I presume, but as the OP states... the setting with DooRules suggested, is not available in our UEFI.

To test, I took my good Samsung 850 Evo that I bought yesterday and is currently being used as my boot drive, and installed that into M2_1 Ultra slot, and it too was not detected... so I put it back into M2_2 and it works again.

Seems nothing is detected in Ultra M2_1.

I think that the 850 evo is classed as a sata based drive, and will work in the M2_2 slot.  The Ultra M2_1 slot is a PCIe interface and not compatible with sata based devices.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic