ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Error Code bF - X99 Fatal1ty Motherboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Error Code bF - X99 Fatal1ty Motherboard
    Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 7:30am
Hi - I'm trying to switch to an x99 motherboard with a setup that includes:

Intel Core i7 - 5820k - 3.3 GHz - LGA 2011-v3
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 memory 
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB 
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD

It powers on, but the display never fires up. I tried installing memory modules individually, but it never gives me a different error unless I have a bad setup that makes the error a "53".  

I tried re-seating the CPU, but it didn't seem to help. Also, I've tried with no drives connected and same result.  

In the handbook, it didn't look there was anything for "bF", so it might have been "6F" (the top led isn't lit up though). I've cleared the CMOS by holding the reset CMOS button for 10 seconds and tried the jumper approach as well, but no luck.  

Any suggestions? I'm driving myself a little nuts.
SmegmaDong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmegmaDong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 8:33am
I feel your pain. I'm trying to get RAM to work on my new X99X fatality board and I'm having the same issue. To get it to post, take out sticks A1 and B1, clear your CMOS, reboot. It'll reboot the BIOS a few times, just let it boot into windows after it's finished doing its thing. Power down from Windows and put the sticks back into slots A1 and B1. Clear CMOS again, reboot and it should post. Good luck. I've never had this much trouble with a motherboard before. Nothing seems right in this BIOS.

Edited by SmegmaDong - 14 Oct 2016 at 1:14am
dkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 9:21am
Unreal... it looks like that's doing the trick! Still working on getting Windows installed/booting, but should be well on my way. I honestly would've never gotten this far without your help - Thanks a ton!  

I'll report if the rest of the process goes smooth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmegmaDong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 9:28am
Yeah, I don't know what's up with this board. Maybe it's the P3.20 beta BIOS but that's the only version that supports 3000+, idk. I can get mine to boot up at 2800Mhz, but when I restart or power down, it only recognizes 2 stick, C1 and D1. Then it pulls that sh*tty bF code that makes you have to pull the sticks out and clear the CMOS. I have Corsair 3000Mhz RAM and it does it at 2666Mhz, too. I've tried all kinds of different voltages and what not. I don't get why pulling A1 and B1 is the only way to fix it. Seems like something is wrong on that side of the board. My other two boards were overclocked Asrocks and I've never had any problems like this before, nothing even close.

Edited by SmegmaDong - 14 Oct 2016 at 1:17am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:22am
You just can't stick DDR4 memory at 3000+ speeds in an X99 board, and expect it to work perfectly the first time.

DDR4 memory designed for Skylake processors has different SPD/XMP settings than DDR4 memory designed for Haswell-E processors, and now we have Broadwell-E.

Without posting the full model number of the memory you have, we can't comment on it at all.

I see no mention of the standard procedures for trying to get DDR4 3000+ speed memory working on an X99 system.

Clear UEFI/BIOS after inserting memory.

Enable memory training in the UEFI.

Tweak VCCIO and VCCSA voltages.

Check what "strap" or BCLK value the XMP profile is setting in the UEFI. Most memory for X99 systems above 2800 used the 125MHz strap, which is more difficult to work with.

If all your memory is not recognized by the UEFI or Windows, increase DRAM voltage, increase or set latency settings to Auto, Command Rate to 2T, and all of the above.

The higher in speed you go with your memory, the less capacity you will be able to use. That is standard DDR4 behavior, so far.

Haswell-E are the first processors/memory controller to support DDR4 memory. Any speed above 2133 is an OC. Consider how long it took DDR3 to mature before we could get beyond 1600.

Are you other two ASRock boards X99 systems?
dkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 1:00pm
Unfortunately, Windows 10 setup was constantly freezing at the loading logo or shortly afterward, so reading through threads, I decided to try updating the bios to the latest and greatest through the instant flash (3.80). Now I'm getting "b3" or "b6" with no post...  those aren't covered in the manual, but it seems like most "b" errors are ram access that CMOS clear should hopefully fix...

Ohy... have the battery off again to give it another try, but I'm not liking this so far.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmegmaDong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You just can't stick DDR4 memory at 3000+ speeds in an X99 board, and expect it to work perfectly the first time.

I understand that, but I've never had to pull the same two sticks of RAM out to get it to boot every time you adjust a voltage or higher freq. That seems very odd to me. My other two boards were X79 and X99 and only had problems when reaching extreme thresholds, but even then I didn't have to go through the process of pulling two sticks of RAM out, clear CMOS, reboot, etc which ends up taking 10-15 minutes to do each time. A simple clear CMOS did the job. That part of the equation makes no sense to me, it's a first.

Edited by SmegmaDong - 13 Oct 2016 at 7:37pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by SmegmaDong SmegmaDong wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I understand that, but I've never had to pull the same two sticks of RAM out to get it to boot every time you adjust a voltage or higher freq. That seems very odd to me. My other two boards were X79 and X99 and only had problems when reaching extreme thresholds, but even then I didn't have to go through the process of pulling two sticks of RAM out, clear CMOS, reboot, etc which ends up taking 10-15 minutes to do each time. A simple clear CMOS did the job. That part of the equation makes no sense to me, it's a first.

It sounds like the two DIMMs you removed and installed again were not properly seated the first time. Otherwise there is no reason what you did would make any difference.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmegmaDong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 10:38pm
I've had to do this a good 15+ times already. The thing is when you test a frequency the board doesn't like, it'll almost always stop at bF; sometimes it'll boot back into the BIOS but will only recognize slots C1 and D1, A1 and B1 are not. The ONLY way to get past bF and back into the BIOS again is to remove those two sticks, clear CMOS, reboot into window, shutdown, put the sticks back in, clear CMOS again and reboot into the BIOS. I've used both CMOS options; the button on the back of the board and the jumper. I've spent hours on this. I'm not sure what BIOS he's on, but my next step is to try the P3.10 BIOS since he's having the exact issue. If that doesn't work, RMA or a different board.

Edit: I don't "have" to boot into Windows, I only do that so I do a proper shutdown since I've been having to do this so many times; however, I do have to power down, remove both sticks (A1, B1), clear CMOS, power on (the system will hang at 61 for about 10 seconds before it reboots on its own, only then will you get access to the BIOS), power back down, put the sticks back in, clear CMOS, power on. Trust me, I don't enjoy having to do it, but it's the only way.

Edited by SmegmaDong - 14 Oct 2016 at 7:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic